FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

COVENTRY GAME

Impressed with todays display. Defensively we were as solid as weve looked in ages and thats even with out King, Warren and Hogg in the team. Glad to hear Raven is ok, was a bad knock he took. Draper got into his stride a bit more as well and he seemed to grow in confidence as the game went on.

Pick of the bunch for me was Graeme Shinnie. He defended solidly and bombed forward on a few occasions, also worth noting he set up 2 out of the 3 goals.

Feeling a bit more confident about the season ahead now. Cant emphasise enough how important it is keeping A Shinnie and Doran fit but hopefully we should hold our own.

• Agree 2

OK let's get down to the feckin nitty gritty !!

ESSON Will be as reliable as ever and possibly even more so when he has a Real Mad goalie in competition.

RAVEN Early days but he was hesitant and unsure and wholly concentrating on defence. He really didn't inspire me but glad that his head injury is not as bad as it first looked.

COOPER Now he does suggest that he has a future - very strong in the tackle and tries to play football - not ready fer central defence yet but a reliable defensive back up. Give him 2-3 years at this level and he will be a fine, fine defender.

MEERKAAT Put in a fine shift - again I do not think that he is a first choice central defender but he will be another cover and probably the fist choice right back.

G.SHINNIE No doubt that he is now one of the first on the team sheet and still looks like he could do a job anywhere down the left side.

SUTHERLAND HE IS NOT A WIDE PLAYER - He is more like David Haye than Jonny Hayes - I fear that he is going to end up like Proctor !!

FORAN He will be the most important player of the lot this season as he will compete and play anywhere. I am even going to suggest that he may well be best utilised in central defence as he has the "head" for it, he is a great tackler, distributor and good in the air.

DRAPER The IHE jury is out - he aint fit and he is not a creative midfielder - he is the holder and Foran and Draper do not equate.

DORAN Now he is the new Jonny Hayes so stick him in the same role.

A SHINNIE I think that he could be our most influential player but where the feck is he playing - fer feck sake play him the old Bingham role - just behind the front one or two with a licence to roam and cause real damage.

McKAY Real good shift but what about playing him in the wide rite role which Shane is in at the moment. He has the pace and movement to take that on.

OSWELL Now this is one that I would love to see have a run his movement and pace and watching the line were impressive today and so was his finishing. He really could be the next Rooney or better.

ROSS Needs to be stuck in central midfield and given a run or else we are going to ruin a good in.

MORRISON Disappointed with him today - has to realy prove that he isn't just a squad player.

PEPPER - on in the last feckin minute and I didn't even get the chance to se if he had a cute erse or not.

Tactically though we tried mostly to play football against a bunch of animals - way more positives than negatives - play the style of today and we will entertain - I was well pleased today.

• Agree 2

Yep, agree with most of the comments, but thought Draper was too slack in the first half and gave away a lot of passes, sorted hinself out a wee bit in the second half, not sure whether he is totally fit yet.

Cooper was pretty good, looked assured on the ball and away very little in both positions he played.

Oswell might turn out to be a great signing, made some good runs and took his goal very well, with Doran starting to look more dangerous as the game went on they could be a good pairing for next season as they linked up quite well.

However the down side....

Shane is looking more and more out of place on the wing, was so ineffective today it was scary how TB could come out with his comment in the press the other day.

G Shinnie is also a wee concern, looks fine going forward, but defensively is suspect and got spoken too a couple of times by Foran.

Overall a good display, and i'm pretty optimistic about the coming season.

County beat Elgin 4 -1 today after also having beaten Coventry midweek. It sounds as though the 2 Highland teams could be well matched this season. If we are playing a more attractive style of football this season then it could be a pretty memorable season. Bring it on. :ictscarf:

• Agree 3

I know it's only pre-season but that was a very enjoyable game and a great performance from the team. Coventry's penalty was dubious to say the least, justice done when it hit the post. The meet and greet afterwards was very positive, showed a team and manager united in their effort to do well this season. Let's hope this continues

Yep, agree with most of the comments, but thought Draper was too slack in the first half and gave away a lot of passes, sorted hinself out a wee bit in the second half, not sure whether he is totally fit yet.

Cooper was pretty good, looked assured on the ball and away very little in both positions he played.

Oswell might turn out to be a great signing, made some good runs and took his goal very well, with Doran starting to look more dangerous as the game went on they could be a good pairing for next season as they linked up quite well.

However the down side....

Shane is looking more and more out of place on the wing, was so ineffective today it was scary how TB could come out with his comment in the press the other day.

G Shinnie is also a wee concern, looks fine going forward, but defensively is suspect and got spoken too a couple of times by Foran.

Overall a good display, and i'm pretty optimistic about the coming season.

Thank feck for the fairways WIFI !! - fecked up the smileys though !!!

Thought Cooper played well and looked better than Raven at right back.

Okay only friendlies but not convinced with Raven at FB, Oswell looks like he could bag us a few goals.

Morrison had some good touches also, hope he gets a wee run this year.

Shinnie brothers were on good form also, hope they both stay injury free.

I thought Doran was MoM by a long way and Raven wasn't far behind until he went off. Can't see where he put a foot wrong today, made himself plenty of space and his experience really showed. He's no rampaging full back but he can defend really well. Minor concerns about G Shinnie as a defender, is too easily brushed off the ball but the older guys in the team will hopefully help him with this side of the game. Excellent going forward though. With the passing game hopefully going to continue Nick Ross must have a chance of a game as a right midfielder (not winger) instead of Shane who loses the ball a little too easily. Only real concern is up front but hopefully midfield will chip in with a wedge of goals this year.

Looking forward to Warren coming back as well, by all accounts a very good centre half. A Shinnie looks a in great form too, can't wait for the season to start for real.

• Agree 1

i cannot believe that even after a really good performance people still find something to be negative about. couldnt really fault anything today. shane sutherland was never a winger but he will come. it will just take time. and i completely disagree with the draper comments. think he looks like he is going to be a good player. BRING ON THIS SEASON!!!

lets just hope coventry dont try snap up any of our good players now. :lol:

wasnt there but im liking the positivity of all the reviews especially about foran, he promised this season would be better and i really think hes going to be the one that comes through and provides it. top man, could be an inspirational captain next season

Excellent performance. As I've always said, ICT are a far better team when the balls on the deck and some of the passages of play (particularly for the third goal) were really good, even more so when you consider the amount of new additions. Doran was very good, the two Shinnie's will be big players this season and I think Draper shows signs that he'll come on to a good game. Unlike last season, that team looks like a much more solid unit, with each player doing their job very well in the grander machine.

Two points of note though - McKay, while a good player, is not a lone frontman. He needs support. I'd like to see him and Oswell getting a run together as that could be a combination that works well for both players attributes. The tactical game for me this season would be to scrap the 4-2-3-1, and go for either a straight 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 Diamond with Foran moved out to wide left, Doran at wide right, Oswell and McKay up top, with Shinnie in the "hole".

The other point, which is linked to the above, regards Shane Sutherland. The guy is not, has not and will never be a winger. He's a battering ram centre forward and nothing else. There's no point in saying, "well, he might come good". He won't, as he doesn't have the pace, balance, the ball work or the physical build to do that job.

Overall a good display and the kind of football that we need to see next year.

PS - Since when was Ruud Gullit Coventry manager?!

• Agree 3

Not long back from the game. Took us a while to warm up and neither side settled into the game by the time Coventry were awarded a very soft penalty. We grew into the game and started to pass the ball a lot better as the game wore on. Was a good workout and the players look to be forming a good deal of understanding.

Positives:

- G Shinnie looking very dangerous as a marauding left back, he played a great attacking game and became more of a threat as the game wore on

- Cooper had a really good game and showed maturity far beyond his years. A couple of defensive lapses but he was kept on track by a very supportive Meekings who directed him well. Showed a great deal of potential and i think will be a useful player far sooner than anyone predicted

- Meekings looked pretty strong and effective at centre half and gives us an strong option to cover in that position

- the overall fitness of the team looked good today

- long ball tactics seem to finally be a thing of the past, a lot more quick passing on the deck which was a lot more pleasing to the eye. And effective!

- sweet finish from Oswell. Hopefully he can be the natural goalscorer that we have missed since Rooney left. Time will tell

- doran looking very sharp and fit

Negatives:

- Shane had a game to forget, never really got into the game. Mind you cant of been easy up against a very physical Kevin Kilbane

- Slow start to the game but

- some shocking challenges from the Coventry players. In particular the challenge on Raven and a few others on McKay, A Shinnie and Doran

Definitely more plus points to todays game than negatives.

• Agree 2

Enjoyable game and an encouraging performance.

We rode our luck a bit in the early stages. If Coventry had converted some of their early chances, including that very questionable penalty, they could have been out of sight.

When we got up to speed we played some nice stuff and played some attractive football.

Doran's performance suggested we will not miss Hayes too much.

Liked the look of Gavin Morrison when he came on for the last half hour. His trip to Iceland may have done him the power of good.

We need to keep this team fit and healthy, however. That's easier said than done and it was a little worrying to see ICT forced to play Richie Foran at centre half after Raven's injury. Richie did well but it shows how short we are before the season has even started.

Excellent performance. As I've always said, ICT are a far better team when the balls on the deck.

Doran was very good, the two Shinnie's will be big players this season.

Two points of note though - McKay, while a good player, is not a lone frontman. He needs support. I'd like to see him and Oswell getting a run together as that could be a combination that works well for both players attributes.

The other point, which is linked to the above, regards Shane Sutherland. The guy is not, has not and will never be a winger. He's a battering ram centre forward and nothing else. There's no point in saying, "well, he might come good". He won't, as he doesn't have the pace, balance, the ball work or the physical build to do that job.

Overall a good display and the kind of football that we need to see next year.

PS - Since when was Ruud Gullit Coventry manager?!

Agreed with all these points from Renegade.

McKay has put in a very good shift in both games against Elgin and Coventry, but he NEEDS support and I think he will grab a few goals this season. Oswell certainly looks like he has the potential to do well for us too. Took his goal well and almost had another but for a great save.

All in all a good display today, with some good, passing football being played too. Feeling positive for the season ahead, just hoping we can stay injury free.

Just watched the highlights on Sky Sports News. Some good goals. Shocking crowd though.

I was away today but WILL be there for the first home game and looking forward to it. Hope we get a good crowd!

Happy with that. Good to see that it was a sell out for the Kingsmills Suite as well.

I thought it was nice that the Coventry fans who came up were invited in after the game. Had a good chat with the ones who were at our table, I didn't get their names, and they said they had adopted ICT, one had bought a top as well.

Didn‘t hang arond for the Q and A‘s though. Anything interesting?

Fiona Hogg has size twelve feet, Aaron Doran is the joker in the dressing room and Richie Foran is in charge of everything except Terry Butcher's wardrobe. :tongue:

i cannot believe that even after a really good performance people still find something to be negative about. couldnt really fault anything today. shane sutherland was never a winger but he will come. it will just take time. and i completely disagree with the draper comments. think he looks like he is going to be a good player. BRING ON THIS SEASON!!!

I can't believe that the "Happy Clapper Brigade" are shingling already. Some people look at the strengths and weaknesses, granted often from a personal perspective but it is usually conveyed in a constructive manner.

I don't feel that there were any real negatives yesterday - some "concerns " which will hopefully be ironed out by the start of the season. I was heartened to see a ICT team trying to play football most of the time. There were some groans when the hoof came but that is needed at times, I also felt a sense of togetherness and I also feel that there is a bit more structure to the system but I would like to see plans B and C we also have a squad that covers itself more and have mostly more than one option for most positions. Foran was a true leader yesterday, Doran could be the next Hayes, Cooper can only get better, A.Shinnie can be a big player this season and we have youth and pace to keep on the bench and that could lead to match winning replacements.

But, to me the major concern still is up front. I really do not feel that McKay can play up there on his own, especially away from home. Shane is not a wide player and I really do not understand TB's persistence. We need to find a Hayes like role for Doran and. A more effective role for A.Shinnie - in the hole would be my choice - more attacking at home but slightly withdrawn away. There is no lack of defensive midfielders but who is going to be a playmaker - my vote would go to Nick Ross.

My only other concern is that TB favours the new boys and that the likes of Ross, Morrison and even Shane are left warming the bench. A lesser concern is that we wrap up Oswell in cotton wool. I have seen enuff yesterday to have no hesitation in chucking him in at the deep end.

From a club who normally cant string 4 passes together unless its across the back four, to passing around the box with ease as if its a kick about, inteligent play which has also been lacking and we now have a feeling of togetherness and self belief amongst the team.

Good players were subed yesterday, the team didnt fall apart it just changed its style of play and produced more quality football

• Agree 1

I thought it was a good game as pre-season friendlies go. I was please to see ICT playing good passing football. The big hoof wasn't there and this made for a better game. I'd agree that we rode our luck in the early stages and were let off with the pen'. Our first strike at goal was our pen'. Having scored that we seemed to take charge but I'd say Coventry had the better of the first half. Scored an early second seemed to kill off Coventry but their tails went up for a short while when they pulled one back. An enjoyable game but a shame about the Coventry One!!