FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is Draper a Diver?

Renegade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssJsllTlU4&feature=player_embedded

I posted this in the matchday thread, but I think it deserves a thread in itself. Some of the P&B St Mirren fans are livid about it and could there conceivably be repercussions from the Draper incident that might come later?

But more importantly, did he dive?

Edited by Renegade

My take is that Guy smacks the ball out of his hand and it hits Draper in the face and he then goes down (that is pretty obvious). I think he has overreacted but I wouldn't say he dived (which I typically take to be falling over under no contact). Don't think it's worthy of a sending off to be honest. I think the referee could have consulted with his linesman to make sure.

Yeh it looks like Guy catches the ball and Draper's face. As RiG says it probably wasnt a red card but the referee had already dished out 8 bookings, he wasnt going to hesitate.

At least Midden can have a new Caley Thistle player to boo! It's inconclusive, but due to the Midden player not complaining with the decision, then to answer the question, imho no Draper is not a diver.

Midden fans will be stewing away over this, jumping to their own conclusions but lets keep the positive support towards our players!

There seemed little doubt in the press area that Guy clocked Draper...and Guy certainly wasn't protesting the decision in any way, shape or form as he left the pitch.

Looking at the video, the Ref had a clear view and was straight over the instant it happened. I believe Guy could receive an extended ban, depending on what the Ref puts in his report.

Did Guy not have a bit of a hot head reputation in Englandshire. If you lift your hands in a punching motion to an opponent its a sending off, even if you dont connect, however the fact is he connected with something, the ball, the arm and the head. And the more you look at it, Draper first moved the ball away from Guys grasp and switched hands, as Guy came back for the ball Draper holds it out from his side, and Guy swings at the ball but misses, catches Draper on the side of the arm and then his neck or cheek. Thats a sending off all day long.

Whats the problem, St Midden without one of their better players for a game or two, helps our cause and not theirs.

Draper starts to endear himself to ICT, well done lad. One a week would be good, but preferable earlier in the game, first few minutes next time please

Edited by bauhaus

Surprised by the uproar that St Mirren fans are creating on P&B. The video is by no means conclusive but if you raise your hands to a players face then you leave the ref with little choice. The going to ground of Draper is neither here nor there, its the fact that Guy lifts his hand to our players face

Incidents like this have happened to us on numerous occasions before for better or worse. The Juanjo/Lennon incident and two that i can think off involving Russell Duncan as well as one with Munro and an Aberdeen player. Happens all the time in football. Some days the decision goes against you some time it goes for you

Interesting to see this post on the St Mirren forum:

Draper cheated. Its as bad as Lafferty's feigned injury in the Mulgrew incident at Ibrox although he will probably get away with it due to lack of tv footage

He didn't - me and several others saw it with our own eyes. Guy hit him in the face with a closed fist. Why do you think Guy barely protested about it? I would be spitting blood had the player cheated but he didn't. He play acted perhaps but the referee was watching the incident all the way and saw the initial punch so Guy was off in any event.

ETA: Just seen the above video footage. He hits the ball but clearly follows through and smacks the player's face. Whether or not he was meaning to hit the ball, it was sheer stupidity to do that in front of the ref. He deserved all he got.

Interesting. Personally, I don't see that at all from the video however I did wonder if the camera behind the goal caught something? I guess though, because it's a contentious incident, they can't show it? Similar to when that Ross County lad got sent off a couple of seasons ago when we won 3 - 0.

Midden are full of shitt - from what I have been told Draper was caught in his eye - and if you have ever had such a "slap" or a "poke" ya should know what it is like. Gives us a feckin song to sing the next time. Plus the "guy" was feckin knackered and we had just lost a goal in injury time.

Feck PB and feck Midden :banana:

Even if Guy did punch Draper full in the face with a closed fist, to lie on the ground like he did was a bit OTT IMHO. If the punch was hard enough to knock him out then OK, but if Guy can deliver a punch with sufficient force to knock someone out when the video shows that it is not even obvious that he is throwing a punch at all, then Guy should give up football and take up boxing - he'd be world champ within a year.

And that is not in any way defending Guy who will hopefully get a lengthy ban, it is just saying that Draper's reaction seemed somewhat inappropriate although not as inappropriate as the likes of Samaras last year.