FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Stadium redevelopment

Doofer

I know you should never really use things from wikipedia but the following was on there and i wondered if anyone know if there was any truth in it?

"The redevelopment in 2004–05 included the construction of two new stands at either end of the ground, which made the stadium all-seater and increased its capacity to over 7,500. These stands were built in a remarkable 47 days by the Tulloch Construction Company who are also the club's biggest shareholder. As Tulloch also paid part of the development cost, the stadium had the Tulloch name added to it on completion of the work.

The club added a very small stand,[when?] opposite the Main Stand called "the West Stand." With a capacity of around 400, the stand was the smallest free-standing football stand in the Scottish Premier League. There are plans to build a full scale west-stand which would look very much like that of the Main Stand though a gas pipe in the area may cause a problem. If a full scale west stand was added to would take the capacity of the ground to around 10,000 seats. There may also be plans in the future to join the Main Stand with the North Stand to give the ground an even larger capacity."

It's not particularly feasible and the crowd levels certainly don't demand it but I'd like to even a small structure go up along the length of the west side just to complete the stadium. On 3 sides I think the ground looks fine but whenever cameras catch that west side I cringe a bit as it just looks so unfinished.

Can't imagine there are any plans afoot to do anything about it though! Certainly not a priority at the moment.

Would be a pointless waste of money in all honesty. We only half fill our stadium for games outwith County and the OF so why expand it.
Though it would be good to "tidy up" the west side. Or even prepare the area for possible standing areas, especially with rules on stadium criteria to be relaxed.

The key in any further stadium development/improvement would be to cover the ends of the main stand. Looks terrible on the tele when you've got 2 barren areas of the main stand at nearly every game.

There was at one point, I believe, plans...as in a drawing on paper...for development of the West Side of the ground.  In fact I'm pretty sure there's been more than one set of drawings/designs.  However I don't believe there's any plans for developing anything on that side of the ground which is aimed at increasing capacity any time soon.

I agree the West Side could use some tidying up but if we were doing anything I think that boxing in the wings of the main stand perhaps round onto the north/south stands would be a vast improvement. When I was studying I did an autocad design of how this could be achieved along with a cost estimate. will see if I can dig it out.

• Agree 1

I agree the West Side could use some tidying up but if we were doing anything I think that boxing in the wings of the main stand perhaps round onto the north/south stands would be a vast improvement. When I was studying I did an autocad design of how this could be achieved along with a cost estimate. will see if I can dig it out.

I don't care about the opinions of anyone who is not a season ticket holder on this subject only the opinions of the ones who go to home games. :tongueincheek:

I know you should never really use things from wikipedia but the following was on there and i wondered if anyone know if there was any truth in it?

There are plans to build a full scale west-stand which would look very much like that of the Main Stand though a gas pipe in the area may cause a problem. If a full scale west stand was added to would take the capacity of the ground to around 10,000 seats. There may also be plans in the future to join the Main Stand with the North Stand to give the ground an even larger capacity."

That will be the same wikipedia which today's Courier Shennachie column reveals as recording that Chuck Norris and Rob Schnieder have claimed that Billy McKay "is a possible resurrected version of the Lord Jesus Christ"? As Caley D says, plans (ie bits of paper) may have existed since the 90s but no more than that.

Just think of the absurdity of a West Stand.  Here we have a club which - a) Is working wonders on the field with a team which has been put together within the constraints of a severely limited player budget, and b) Doesn't fill its current 7700 capacity, even for Celtic and County games and normally operates at around half that capacity.

Does that really sound like the kind of scenario where investing millions on a redundant fourth stand is a sensible prospect?

Yes, I know that a fourth side to the Caledonian Stadium would give a more intimate atmosphere and act as a windbreak. But this notion of a West Stand is Inverness football's second most persistent myth after the one which states that m****r :laugh: protesters are staying away in droves.

Or maybe they should build the thing, call it The Refusenik Stand, The Rose Street Stand or The Rod The Mod Enslosure and it would instantly fill to the brim with an entirely new clentele! :lol:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I don't care about the opinions of anyone who is not a season ticket holder on this subject only the opinions of the ones who go to home games. :tongueincheek:

Hahaha finally a witty response.

Just stick up a structure of any shape so we have no more threads on it. I remember when Dortmund put up a wall of sound when work was being done that was just hoardings with fans in seats painted on. That's all we need and if nothing else we would have a decent baseline attendance to work with ;-)

Here's one of those "paper plans" from about 2000 ...... it got as far as hanging on the wall in John Sutherland's office.

Plan on the office wall

post-2-0-45515100-1359128547_thumb.jpg

looking from away end to home end

post-2-0-06131900-1359128558.jpg

showing possible low level home end and west stand profile

post-2-0-40172000-1359128567.jpg

Main stand and low level west stand

post-2-0-65301900-1359128616.jpg

Main stand, low level west stand and a new north stand

post-2-0-13808100-1359128639.jpg

North Stand from the away end

post-2-0-50111700-1359128654.jpg

View from the bridge of North and West stands

post-2-0-06205900-1359128681.jpg

looking from Main stand to low level west stand

post-2-0-05593600-1359128691.jpg

View from car park near North stand

post-2-0-58893800-1359128705.jpg

• Agree 1

Can i just say that the North Stand in those pics look pretty epic, better than the tin crap we have just now!

A small west enclosure like whats on the pics above would be decent. Only an extra 800-1000 seats. Maybe a potential safe-standing area? Hmmmmmmmm where's my euro millions ticket....

I would imagine all  Longman traffic which usually  passes Moray firth Maltings and then goes A9 South will be diverted  past the stadium and on to the new A9 slip road.When the bridge work commences.

Any ideas for making the most of this new passing trade ? 

That big North Stand had a working title of "The Dolphin End" or something stupid like that didn't it?

nope .... the dolphin stand was coined by a friend of mine at the time who mocked up a new picture based on Gordon Gillespie's iconic photo that was used all over the place ... It just kind of stuck !

Here's the pic that Pete created from Gordon's original

post-2-0-80272600-1359135846.jpg

Unless a Saudi Prince comes out of the blue sensing a glorious monetary future for the club and himself I doubt if it would be worth it based solely on the number of fans who do actually attend games in these stirring times.

Once we lose our current best players to larger clubs  then what?

A cup final game and a win at Hampden will give a well-deserved and very welcome boost to club finances but will be needed to firstly pay off outstanding debts. To retain forward momentum remotely in sync with the unbelievable season we have already had will need a lot more of the same and the huge question is , can it be sustained in the longer term?

Well, the club's reputation has grown by leaps and bounds and who knows what is in store ?

I always say, enjoy the moment.Then close your eyes and keep your fingers crossed.

And this, chums, is a Canadian flag. Some of the leaves from the Maple trees are  larger then your hands    :canada:

Just thought I would throw that in.... :wave:

is there any call to improve hospitality facilities at the stadium?  both corners of the main stand would be ideal for this and id guess youd have a far greater chance of a return, would be able to offer a better product too with a better home or away only option.

72_Corner-box-shot.jpg

bolton have hospitality facilities in the corners

Edited by clacher_holiday2
  • Agree 1

Can i just say that the North Stand in those pics look pretty epic, better than the tin crap we have just now!

Do you not realise how damn lucky you are to have what you have? Getting back from Aberdeen to play SPL football in Inverness was yet another example of the brinkmanship upon which ICT has serially developed over the last 20 years!

Consider the following highly marginal and indeed at the time improbable situations.

* 1993 - vacancies arising in the SFL in the first place. That was VERY marginal!

* 1993-94 - after winning the vote, the club existing at all.

* 1995-96 - getting a stadium up and running.

* 1999-2000 - surviving a £2M+ debt crisis which almost had the receivers in.

* 2003-04 - winning the First Division title.

* 2004 - overcoming SPL red tape and actually getting into the top  league.

* 2004-05 - getting the north and south stands funded and built in 47 days to bring SPL football to Inverness.

* 2009-10 - after being relegated (which was brinkmanship in the other direction by a single goal), winning the First Division from a position which looked totally impossible.

So if ICT are 3-0 down at Easter Road tomorrow with 15 mins to go.... don't panic Captain Mainwaring!!!

But take any ONE of these EIGHT marginal situations out of the equation, and there would be no semi final tomorrow nor a second (nor indeed any) place in the SPL.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 4

CB your completely right.

how things look on the park is far more important than how the park looks. Although the pitch is as always immaculate.

If in the future we are selling 5000 season tickets and require additional capacity or need to extend the boardroom to hold the CL trophy, SPL trophy etc then we will do so. In the manner the club has done everything else giving us only what we need.

x million on a fourth stand which would only be filled with Celtic fans does not to my eyes seem a priority.