FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

LOYAL ARMY

I'm pretty sure Loyal Army is a unionist chant from N. Ireland.  Even more so, a definite Rangers chant.

Really?

St. Mirren fans were singing it the other week. Why would they do that?

Cardiff fans were singing it yesterday. Why would they do that?

I think to much emphasis is being placed upon the 'loyal' part of the chant.

I'm pretty sure Loyal Army is a unionist chant from N. Ireland.  Even more so, a definite Rangers chant.

Really?

St. Mirren fans were singing it the other week. Why would they do that?

Cardiff fans were singing it yesterday. Why would they do that?

I think to much emphasis is being placed upon the 'loyal' part of the chant.

I say once again... what is the wrong with "Caley Army" ????

Nothing but there's probably just as much 'wrong' with singing that as there is Loyal Army.

You're always going to have someone moaning about it 'not being right'.

Thats just being stupid and pedantic.  If someone hears someone singing Loyal Army, they would connect with N. Ireland and Rangers.  Caley army, and they would connect it with us.  Imagine a flag, with Glasgow Loyal Army written on it....now imagine same flag but with Glasgow Caley Army.

Nothing but there's probably just as much 'wrong' with singing that as there is Loyal Army.

You're always going to have someone moaning about it 'not being right'.

Yeh tbh RIG I'm sick of us being referred to as mini rangers as things currently stand + with FIFA cracking down on sectarian chanting there's no point in giving them any excuse

EWS - you are right. It is stupid and pedantic. Just like you are being with the Loyal Army issue. People who hear 'Loyal Army' and instantly connect it with Rangers are being a bit narrowminded and somewhat bigotted themselves don't you think? Imagine a flag with an ICT emblem with (ICT) Loyal Army on it. Would that be a problem?

I'll ask again - why did St. Mirren sing it last week? Why did Cardiff fans sing it against Tottenham? Why do many fans across the UK sing it every weekend they follow their team?

HC- we are referred to as Mini Rangers because half our fans support Rangers as well as ICT (or so they claim). It has nothing to do with what we sing.

EWS - you are right. It is stupid and pedantic. Just like you are being with the Loyal Army issue. People who hear 'Loyal Army' and instantly connect it with Rangers are being a bit narrowminded and somewhat bigotted themselves don't you think? Imagine a flag with an ICT emblem with (ICT) Loyal Army on it. Would that be a problem?

I'll ask again - why did St. Mirren sing it last week? Why did Cardiff fans sing it against Tottenham? Why do many fans across the UK sing it every weekend they follow their team?

Saints fans sing 'black'n'white army'

And Cardiff chant Blue Army.

I repeat, Loyal Army is a Loyalist Chant that is connected with Rangers FC and the Unionists in N. Ireland.

Collins Concise Dictionary:

loyal - adj 1 showing allegiance 2 faithfull to ones country, government, etc 3 of or expressing loyalty

loyalist - noun 1 (in northern ireland) any of the protestants wishing to retain Ulsters' link with Britain

HC- we are referred to as Mini Rangers because half our fans support Rangers as well as ICT (or so they claim). It has nothing to do with what we sing.

I think it is more because of our colours but it wont help singing their songs... once again what is wrong with Caley army seems to make a **** of a lot more sence than Loyal Army and is what has been sung in the past anyway :029: :029:

Saints fans sing 'black'n'white army'

Sounded like Loyal Army to me but I don't have a problem with it even if it was.

I think it is more because of our colours but it wont help singing their songs... once again what is wrong with Caley army seems to make a **** of a lot more sence than Loyal Army and is what has been sung in the past anyway :029: :029:

I've already said what some might view as Caley army being "wrong".

EWS - point taken about Cardiff.

It's been "Caley Army" for as long as I can remember it and I don't recall ever hearing anyone sing "Loyal Army"

Agree with the point RiG is trying to make, but it goes back to the discussion we had about a group of fans refering to themselves as "Casuals" - You may have no intention of attaching yourself to a certain sector of people, but rightly or wrongly, certain phrases, chants, names, flags, symbols etc have been hijacked by extremist groups over the years and the majority of people will automatically associated you has having some kind of allegiance if you use them.  It's not right, but thats the way it is.

I believe the "Mini Rangers" tag comes from the pre-merger days whem Caley were considered the "Huns of The North"