FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Yogi says no more money no more players!

CaleyMax

Sorry but in all seriousness that is not all about the location of the stadium - it has as much to do with the legacy of the merger. As I have said many times the "hatred" has been handed down and shared with friends. The animosity unfortunately lives on.

This is another of these occasions when it is not entirely clear whether a post from IHE should be taken at face value or whether it is the latest attempt to wind people up and create an unwanted rammy.

Either way, I don't think it's particularly helpful to have the less savoury aspects of the merger continually dug up in a negative manner. In particular the persistent assertion that Inverness remains packed with refuseniks becomes especially irritating since this is simply groundless assertion which is never based on anything more than anecdotes out of the "There's guys at my work who say...." stable. Far more relevant is that, even in these under subscribed times, around five times as many people come to watch football in Inverness than you would normally get in the early 1990s when Thistle and Caledonian were, on the grander scheme of things, struggling small town teams.

Part of the problem (and this is especially a "Caley" thing), is that rose coloured spectacles have been in operation for far too long and too many people actually believe that Caledonian FC really was a major player rather than a small, provincial semi professional club, too many of whose supporters had an unfortunately inflated perception of its significance - which is the wont of the big fish in a small pond.  I think that this is especially the case among Howden Enders of the late 70s and 1980s who had never known anything other than that period of prominence in Highland League terms and as a result tended to display a lack of humility which, alongside a vastly inflated view of their own significance, gained the club the nickname "The Rangers Of The North".

It would perhaps be a lot more constructive if some of the older fans around would take a hard look at where they really came from and just be grateful for the opportunity which football in Inverness has had to escape these decidedly modest beginnings and reach where it has in more recent years.

Please note that these observations come from someone who felt equally supportive whilst standing in the Howden End or the Kingsmills shed in days gone by which he still looks on with enduring fondness.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 5

If memory serves, Dundee posted loses of somewhere around £3 Million in their 2014 year end accounts...some people never learn!!

That's their accumulated losses since that Dundee FC corporate entity started. Not the losses for the 2014 year on its own. Big difference. Their abbreviated accounts and ours are publicly available free of charge on the betacompanieshouse website. TBH, looking at what I presume to be the main trading accounts for ICT (entity legally called "Inverness Thistle and Caledonian FC Limited"), our accumulated losses from that legal entity's beginning (1994) are at a similar level (over £3million). Intriguely, it also shows that for the year to 31 May 2014, ICT only made a very profit (£28k mentioned in a note to the accounts) even given the money from the 2014 League Cup run. The harsh reality I imagine is that we live hand-to-mouth from year to year and any windfall that comes our way (e.g. Billy Mckay) merely serves to make the day-to-day running a bit less of a stressful headache. Charles Bannerman has alluded to this kind of existence on a previous post somewhere in the past.

• Agree 1

Sorry but in all seriousness that is not all about the location of the stadium - it has as much to do with the legacy of the merger. As I have said many times the "hatred" has been handed down and shared with friends. The animosity unfortunately lives on.

This is another of these occasions when it is not entirely clear whether a post from IHE should be taken at face value or whether it is the latest attempt to wind people up and create an unwanted rammy.

Either way, I don't think it's particularly helpful to have the less savoury aspects of the merger continually dug up in a negative manner. In particular the persistent assertion that Inverness remains packed with refuseniks becomes especially irritating since this is simply groundless assertion which is never based on anything more than anecdotes out of the "There's guys at my work who say...." stable. Far more relevant is that, even in these under subscribed times, around five times as many people come to watch football in Inverness than you would normally get in the early 1990s when Thistle and Caledonian were, on the grander scheme of things, struggling small town teams.

Part of the problem (and this is especially a "Caley" thing), is that rose coloured spectacles have been in operation for far too long and too many people actually believe that Caledonian FC really was a major player rather than a small, provincial semi professional club, too many of whose supporters had an unfortunately inflated perception of its significance - which is the wont of the big fish in a small pond.  I think that this is especially the case among Howden Enders of the late 70s and 1980s who had never known anything other than that period of prominence in Highland League terms and as a result tended to display a lack of humility which, alongside a vastly inflated view of their own significance, gained the club the nickname "The Rangers Of The North".

It would perhaps be a lot more constructive if some of the older fans around would take a hard look at where they really came from and just be grateful for the opportunity which football in Inverness has had to escape these decidedly modest beginnings and reach where it has in more recent years.

Please note that these observations come from someone who felt equally supportive whilst standing in the Howden End or the Kingsmills shed in days gone by which he still looks on with enduring fondness.

Whilst never having been a fan of either team. I myself have alluded to some of the statements you make here. Perhaps with a little less tact.

If Caley had really been as big as is sometimes made out they'd be a dominant European powerhouse instead of a dominant Highland League team. Its a disease often common amongst the Hibernian FC fraternity - delusion-of-granduer-itis

Still, back on topic - hopefully a couple of 6 month loan deals if Hughes remarks in the Courier carry any weight.

Edited by iamthecaptain1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Apparently in tomorrow's Highland News, Yogi is pretty much asking Kenny Cameron and the board for loan deals - Sounds promising! 

It sounds anything but promising to me.  Firstly it suggests that the number and likely duration of the injuries is such that the manager feels we cannot cover the problem without getting players in on loan.

Secondly, and more importantly, it suggests that he has already asked the Chairman through the usual internal communication route but that the chairman is unwilling to release the funding.  If the Highland News reports Yogi as saying that he has permission from the Board to get players in on loan, then fine.  But if he is "asking" via an article in the press then that would suggest a significant breakdown in the relationship between chairman and manager.  We shall see.

As ever peeple have completely misinterpreted what I have said. I wholeheartedly agree that the refuseniks were living in the 70's and Highland football was on the decline. I also am saddened that so many Invernessians fail to support their local team. BUT Charlie and others are deluding themselves by ignoring the fact that many of the old Caley and Jags fans have poisoned their families and friends. Many sway them towards the Old Firm and others, casting up delusions of grandeur from the past. I a merely stating that the 500-1000 that are being sought are less in number than those who define ICT as a plastic creation and the "thou shall not support them" is the mainstay of their way of thinking that they are exacting revenge.

But again more back on the original topic - I really appreciate some of the sarcasm that a Yogi has utilised previously but not when it appears that he is aiming it at the Board. Why should he have to go to the Press to get what he clearly wants. That is very concerning in itself and tends to suggest that all is not well at the Dump. Other than Yogi's "pleas" the silence is deafening.

• Agree 1

What if there is no money and the board are trying to raise  the cash ?

also I understand the stadium was not compliant and significant expenditure was needed for the Astra game and if we didn't upgrade then we would have required to play the home game at Aberdeen or Perth .

the Board have as far as I know and judging by the annual accounts never held money back they either made a loss or a virtual break even .Last years profit of £20k barely gets you a good secretary.

Who thinks that Yogi is about to make statements in the press that either the Board cannot agree with or have refused to consider?

Let's wait for the statements to appear before making  speculative interpretations of non-existent  expressions of anguished desire from the Coach to try to  influence the decisions of the Board.  It's hardly likely that, after all  is said and done, he would embark on a passionate address to Management through the paper, hoping to influence the members to allow him to get what he wants.

Unless he does it in cahoots with the Board of course:wink:?    

Interesting tweets from Tryone Smith @ STV this morning.  Tyrone Smith Twitter

'Inverness boss John Hughes says he thinks he needs to add 3 players to his injury hit squad'

'John Hughes "we've got the wee treasure chest we've put away for a rainy day, unfortunately the rainy day is upon us''

• Agree 1

Interesting tweets from Tryone Smith @ STV this morning.  Tyrone Smith Twitter

'Inverness boss John Hughes says he thinks he needs to add 3 players to his injury hit squad'

'John Hughes "we've got the wee treasure chest we've put away for a rainy day, unfortunately the rainy day is upon us''

I foresee the glorious return of Billy Mckay, Andrew Shinnie and Lionel Djebi Zadi.

• Agree 5

After seeing the match on Saturday, this is simply terrifying news. I cannot believe that we don't have some cash in the kitty to help us out of the spot we find ourselves in regarding a lack of strikers and a stack of injuries. If the chairman is keeping some for a "rainy day", I think he needs to think again - it's p!shing down already and January might be too late to save us. Pessimistic - too right I am: makeshift defence for months to come and no strikers - what's to look forward to?

As I said "it's already p!shing down!" Open up the treasure chest Mr Cameron or it might just be too late!

Never great to hear a manager taking a thinly-veiled swipe at his chairman in public. Clearly there are tensions there with Hughes acknowledging the need for further additions to his football squad versus the Chairman's desire to retain a prudent tight ship.

• Agree 1

Never great to hear a manager taking a thinly-veiled swipe at his chairman in public. Clearly there are tensions there with Hughes acknowledging the need for further additions to his football squad versus the Chairman's desire to retain a prudent tight ship.

I don't think it's a swipe at the board. It's just simply a manager making a plea to the chairman/board for a helping hand given the injury dilemma we find ourselves in. 

• Agree 5

The point is: if there realy is a treasure chest for a rainy day then this is the moment to open it. The unthinkable alternative would be to keep it in reserve until we're in the Championship. This isn't about smashing wage caps or investing in a massive squad, it's about patching up a really thin squad that has been ravaged by injuries. Short contracts, loan deals etc should be enough to at least give us a fighting chance of scoring a few goals.

• Agree 3

Maybe the board had a 25 year plan. Achieve 3rd spot and win the Scottish cup then play in Europe. After achieving this early they got panicked and didn't know what to do next. But the decision to downscale was eventually taken. 

If we're still desperate for a goalscorer in January I'll pick up some new boots and head up. By then I should be 10 minutes match fit.  

I'm not going to get involved in this kind of debate about the numerically bleeding obvious yet again because I seem to have spent much of the last 20 years explaining that half a pint isn't going to make a lot of difference when you're filling up a petrol tank.

Unfortunately for many it is anything but numerically bleeding obvious hence my post. Apols if any knickers knotted. Was just making a respectful reference to an earlier post of yours.

I'm not going to get involved in this kind of debate about the numerically bleeding obvious yet again because I seem to have spent much of the last 20 years explaining that half a pint isn't going to make a lot of difference when you're filling up a petrol tank.

Unfortunately for many it is anything but numerically bleeding obvious hence my post. Apols if any knickers knotted. Was just making a respectful reference to an earlier post of yours.

I don't think it's a swipe at the board. It's just simply a manager making a plea to the chairman/board for a helping hand given the injury dilemma we find ourselves i

Don't fret cos Charlie has never ever been in touch with the true heart of Inverness

image.jpg

• Agree 1

If what Yogi says is true and we've got a wee stash put aside then I think he deserves a bit of it at least. He says he needs 3 players. Maybe a compromise on 2 players. 

A left back who can fill in at centre half perhaps.... And a striker!  

- Though in saying that surely Foran, Lopez, Mutumbo and Ferguson are seen as the strike force. Christie also perhaps. Unless Foran,  Mutumbo and Christie are classed as midfielders. 

A loan up front would be nice. 6 months. 

Edited by iamthecaptain1

Assuming we get two players in who are both on £750 per week, that's an extra outlay of about £50k if we sign them til the end of the season. If we paid a transfer fee for a player, they would likely be deserving of higher wages which would probably take us up to around £100k if we added the fee to the wages. That is a very large sum for a club like us.

If I was the chairman (one day...), I'd probably be waiting to see how we stand after at least five or six games before committing that sort of funding to the squad. 

Edited by Guest

Assuming we get two players in who are both on £750 per week, that's an extra outlay of about £50k if we sign them til the end of the season. If we paid a transfer fee for a player, they would likely be deserving of higher wages which would probably take us up to around £100k if we added the fee to the wages. That is a very large sum for a club like us.

If I was the chairman (one day...), I'd probably be waiting to see how we stand after at least five or six games before committing that sort of funding to the squad. 

Agree with your logic and reasoning but can also argue the opposite point of view .... that is the conundrum .... The first five or six games can define your season so is it better to act swiftly or to wait? After 6 games if we are down the wrong end, not scoring goals and 10 points or more behind the top six it can be really hard mentally to close that gap and we might spend the rest of the season in a dogfight. Alternatively, if we get in the required pieces of the puzzle and start to win and score goals then confidence soars, morale rises and fans and players alike enjoy the ride (like last year) .... finishing a single place higher in the table than we would of without those players could wipe out the outlay in your figures above (based on £70K per place)

I am all for prudence and fiscal responsibility and I know our club is well run in that respect after surviving a few scares in the early years ... but if we do indeed have a rainy day fund then perhaps its time to use at least a portion of it .....  

Edited by Scotty
  • Agree 1