FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Three league defeats in a row - time for change?

Row S

I know we didn't deserve to lose the Celtic and Hearts games and I don't suggest Charlie hits the panic button, but perhaps freshening up the team is necessary to make more scoring chances.  I fear we could lose heavily next week if our midfield don't get a grip of the game early on.  I see that Blackie and Markus came on as subs today.  Maybe they should start next week. 

wondered how long it would take...

I think today's result is the only one worth questioning but even then sounded as though we were unlucky in the second half and CC made 3 subs, which shows he will try and ring the changes.  I'd expect to see Black replacing Duncan in the next match, he has come on the last 3 matches and I think he has served his time on the sidelines... McSwegan for MacAllister might also be considered 

Poor result, poor performance, they happen !

But the bottom line is we don't have the front line to worry SPL defences.

We have been unlucky with injuries, but not bringing in some forward  cover during the window was a major blunder!

CC has no real option to change things where it really counts, UP FRONT !

it has been said on other threads that CC tried to bring someone in but couldn't find a player that would improve the squad ... how many other teams in the SPL would kill for a striker that could win you a game???

Correct. I bet every team in the SPL out with the OF are looking for a striker. We wouldn't have been the only ones looking even if one did come along.

We're really unlucky that two of our best strikers are out. Our midfield isnt doing too good lately either but we haven't the cover there either. Hopefully Hart will be match fit before too long. My understanding is that McSwegan isn't fit enough for a start either. Barry and Richie Hastings appear to have burnt out a bit as well. Its easy to say get Black in but he's only one man and its a team we need. Even our defence aren't firing on all cylinders.

Maybe we should throw caution to the winds and start with Sutherland and Soane.

Looking at what choices there are at present makes grim viewing.

Goalkeepers: Ike, Ally

Defence:        Rossco, Dods, Grant, Hastings, Caff

Midfield:        Barry, Roy, Blackie, Morgan, Rankin Russell, Markus, Soane

Strikers:        Rory, Graham, Zander, McSwegan

I agree totally with Harry C. There are no strikers available at the price we can afford. 

Everyone knows McSwegan isn't fit. Charlie even admitted this the other week in the papers putting it down to the Reserve fixtures being cancelled over Christmas (or were there simply no games?).

Regardless, with McSwegan unfit and Rory at the minute still far too inconsistent and apparently lacking at this level you could argue that we have only one recognised and fit striker just now.

They should have taken on some kind of cover for Dargo and Wyness.... even on a loan situation.... They've lost every game since these two got injured.... :020:

Of course they should have and I bet CC tried to get someone in but either no one was available or they were priced out of a move for a player because of the fee or because of wages. Do you honestly think that CC thought "Ach we don't need anyone else in we'll be fine."?

Tam MacManus was available and is available again.... Not saying he should be signed long term, but a loan spell might have been useful. I would have hoped CC would have looked for, and considered other options.

Signing McSwegan was hardly the answer to our prayers.....

To Alex.... I've only ever seen Zander playing wide left.... certainly haven't seen him score a heck of a lot of goals....

X & Z are very close on my keyboard..... :023:

It's not exactly as if McSwegan has been given an extended run though--so how is he going to be expected to settle in and show up?

Further, if he has had few games since last Xmas surely he must be putting in extra training, sprints and so on? I mean that's 8 weeks to get fit and tune-up?

:024:Any comments?

Is it time to be looking at the bigger picture?

If Dargo leaves at the end of the season as many suspect he will we could be in real trouble. Denzil would be our No 1 striker and unfortunately his shoulder problem could well curtail his career (fingers crossed not) leaving us with Bayne & McAlismisstasitter who have to date been impotent up front.

McSwegan lasted 90 minutes in the last reserve game so how casn't he be fit? What do the players do in training? Kintting?? Even if he isn't up to 90 minutes surely he could last an hour. Can't be any worse than what's up front just now  :006:

Put Caff up front, he has a much better strike rate for us than Rory or McSwegan!

Totally agree. I'd rather see ANYONE up front rather than Rory. Sorry, but the guy is *****. How many goes does he get before that fact is realised.

And feck all this he's only 19. So what!! there's plenty of decent 19 YO's about, and it's bot like he's not had the experience.

I used to think Bayne was pish, but compared to Rory he looks like Ronaldo!

too much emphisis is being put on the frontline not being good enough, simply not our problme at the moment

the solution is simple to me and im glad i managed to listen to the second half today to hear it for myself.

ian black was on the bench; nobody in the midfield could take control or even string 5 yard passes together, dont think we sent in a single cross all day.  black comes on and instantly sets up a couple of chances that rory in turn ballses up, for the final 20 minutes the whole team starts to click and we put motherwell under pressure.

obviously the guy has skill and vision, but hes also a leader, he dictates play in midfield for both sets of teams.  its his confidence in his own ability that influences those around him in a way we've been lacking lately, i dont think we've had any leadership from dods, the vetrans or the bench for a while now.  we just seem to be hoping for the best at the start of every game, relying on luck to go in front and taking it from there, never any real gameplan or drive.

one of the commentators sumed up my veiw on whats wrong with the side at the moment perfectly .. 'whatever christie said to his players over half time seems to be working.  i wonder why he didnt say it at the start?' ...nae gameplan, his problem is he thinks we're doing ok, which breeds the complacentcy ive talked about before.

according to the bbc he was going to work on 'creative midfield passing' after the hearts show, his real midfield problem is 'how to make a challenge' ... you need the ball first before you play a creative pass charly.

(and also guys, dont kid yourselft that we were unlucky against hearts, they were sh1te but we were much much worse)