Dargo is a Saint?

caley100

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CALEY THISTLE'S BEST-PAID PLANS GO TO WASTE AS DARGO MOVES

08:50 - 13 June 2007

Caley Thistle have launched a search for a new striker after Craig Dargo rejected the chance to become the best-paid player in the history of the Inverness club.

Caley Jags made the record wages offer to the 29-year-old after his contract ran out at the end of the season.

But after returning from a holiday in Spain late on Monday night, leading scorer Dargo announced he has decided to pursue his career elsewhere.

Dargo's future had been the subject of increasing speculation since the conclusion of the campaign over four weeks ago.

After giving Caley Thistle hope that he might extend his stay at the Caledonian Stadium, the 12-goal attacker will now look for a more lucrative contract at another club.

Dargo's English-based agent David Baldwin said: "We have now informed Inverness that Craig was very grateful for their offer but, after thinking about it and discussing it, he would be looking for a move.

"From the Inverness point of view, it was a record offer but you have to put it into context with the goals that Craig had scored for the club and his market value.

"At this stage in his career, he wants to maximise what he can earn. He was not on tremendous money at Inverness. I appreciate that Inverness took a gamble on him, but I feel he has repaid them in the last two seasons."

The former Kilmarnock and Raith Rovers player has been linked with a plethora of clubs, most notably Dundee United, Falkirk and Motherwell in the SPL and League One side Nottingham Forest.

Although Baldwin refused to name the clubs which had registered their interest in the player, he does not think that Dargo will have any trouble finding a new employer.

The Highland club will now seek to bring in a replacement for Dargo, as well as another forward and a central defender to fill the gap left by Darren Dods.

I dont think this has come up yet but, I think its a slippy slope to be on starting to offer certain players more money. That leads to division, animosity and greed among other players. Thats a psychological FACT!

I have always felt that one of the main reasons ICT had good team spirit was because no one was valued more than anyone else (by any great degree).

Funny how our money was good enuff for him the last 2 seasons yet when his deal is upped, its suddenly not deemed acceptable. I really hope he falls flat on his face.

"From the Inverness point of view, it was a record offer but you have to put it into context with the goals that Craig had scored for the club and his market value.

Well soreeee Mr Agent...you have now wrecked Dargo's career you tw@

Craig - thanks for the goals, hope you remember them well because you probably won't get many more. Hope the missues is happy now by the way. May the ICT curse be with you.

That is two players we have offered 'record-breaking deals' to and two players who decided that the pastures weren't good enough at Caley.  If he does go to another SPL club, then I will look forward to Tokely, Munro and whoever may make up our defence kick seven shades of **** out of him.

I guess money talks in the end, which is a sad state of affairs over where you are most likely to be happy and play.  Caley are an emerging team who are slowly developing into a feared team amongst our other SPL competitors.  As for a replacement, if we couldn't afford to keep Dargo, I very much doubt we will be able to afford someone like John Sutton.

Yeah, he's away... little shyte..feck off back to weegie land.

He's another that will drop like a stone in loch ness - i hope.

I bet you weren't calling him a wee shyte when he was banging them in over the past two seasons!

The arrogance of some people on here is shocking, "oh he'll never be as good as he was here!" How the **** do you know?

He played two years for us and scored a number of important goals and I for one wish him all the luck in the world wherever he goes. And no doubt if he stays in the SPL the small minded amongst our support will jeer his every touch against us, just completely forgetting that without his goals we could have been a lot closer to relegation than we were.

Get a grip and grow up! :008:

Good luck to him wherever he turns up. Gutted he isn't re-signing for us and it will interesting to see if he does sign for another SPL team given, of course, that no other side outwith the Old Firm could match our offer.

Let's get McSwegan resigned.

I bet you weren't calling him a wee shyte when he was banging them in over the past two seasons!

The arrogance of some people on here is shocking, "oh he'll never be as good as he was here!" How the **** do you know?

He played two years for us and scored a number of important goals and I for one wish him all the luck in the world wherever he goes. And no doubt if he stays in the SPL the small minded amongst our support will jeer his every touch against us, just completely forgetting that without his goals we could have been a lot closer to relegation than we were.

I am quite grown up thankyou..

And of course i did not call him that for the last two seasons- he was playing for US .... Doh!

I am pi55ed off that once again we totally resurrect a career only for the player / manager to turn round and give us the middle finger..which in case you didnt notice, Dargo has done.

I stand by my comments, and if you wish we can discuss them further over a pint in the Innes :003:

Its called having passion for yer team and not being afraid to express it actually!! Dont be so condescending thank you very much

I stand by my comments, and if you wish we can discuss them further over a pint in the Innes :003:

And you're perfectly entitled to your opinion.

I just take issue with the fact that a player is instantly hated just for leaving. Yes, circumstances dictate how individual players are treated after they have left but a lot of people's attitudes appear to be that as soon as a player leaves they are an instant hate figure, regardless of how they left. I can remember Wyness being booed at Tynecastle after he left. I nearly lost it! :008:

I can understand that the Dargo situation has dragged on for too long and that people are clouded by this but if you were to take his 12 goals away from this season , where would we have finished?

The issue is not with ex-players but the way the club is walked over by certain players, Wyness getting booed is inexcusable but Dargo has had a whole season to make his mind up about this and has been offered as good an offer as he is likely to get in Scotland.  He then fecks off on holiday only to come back with the same shyte, why could he not have made it clear at the end of the season so we could go about his business in finding a replacement.  I think the club have made it easy for him to make us look like idiots but Dargo could have easily settled this issue months ago.. I know everything comes down to the money on the table but is it too much to ask for some sort of loyalty??

f*ck'm!

I think the main issue is players ego's running away with them, and them believing the hype their agents say.

Sorry, his agent wants commission from transfers, it's not in his interests for Dargo to stay at Caley.

Of course he's going to start spinning yarns, which Dargo IMHO, will struggle to live up to without a solid

team like ours behind him.  Dargo can be a lazy wee fecker when he wants, when did you last see him battle,

or chase back for the ball again?

Yes it was 12 goals, but only 10 in the league - hardly sets the SPL alight - Dods scored 4 FFS!

If he wants to go then fine, but it's a risky move considering no-one has put anything else in writing

for him yet.

I've no doubt that Charlie and Grassa have been grafting behind the scenes, and Plan B is already

in operation - especially with how long this has dragged on.

We need a main striker that Denzil can thrive with, who can comfortably score 10 +, make a real contribution,

and not be so bl**dy injury prone.

If he stays in the SPL, no bother....Roscoe's gonna get 'im!

I agree with those who think Dargo (or his agent) has taken the P*** over the past few weeks.  He could have made it clear he wasn't resigning for us ages ago.  On a playing level, I think that if Dargo comes down here to Englandshire, he won't hack it, and will disappear without trace in less than a season.  I'm one of the few who thinks that we won't miss him all that much, based on his performance on the season just gone, (not the previous season when he was on fire), especially if Denzil is fully fit and up for it.  Anyway, we'll see in due course.

Very true Harry, Dargs i feel has used us and abused us, the delay i'm sure was put to good effect, using our offer to bait other teams to beat it, he had nothing to lose after all, if no teams came sniffing and offering more he just had to re-sign at a record salary.

We took Dargs from obscurity in the Killie reserves and made his career again, sure he scored 32 goals over two seasons, but that was our gamble not his that he would produce the goods.

Onwards and upwards i say, we have lost before and it will happen again.

especially if Denzil is fully fit and up for it.  Anyway, we'll see in due course.

But will he be?

He still has a lot to prove at this level I feel, his record as an SPL striker isn't great and I'd be worried if all our hopes were pinned on Denzil next season. Don't get me wrong, nothing would make me happier if he made me eat my words but I just feel that he's not gonna be the saviour that everyone hopes.

Wyness is still the most likely player in the current squad to get 10+ goals next term.

I think we may have to rely on more goals from midfield next season - Rankin, Paatelainen and Cowie have the potential to get a fair few for us - fingers crossed anyway  :021:

The issue is not with ex-players but the way the club is walked over by certain players, Wyness getting booed is inexcusable but Dargo has had a whole season to make his mind up about this and has been offered as good an offer as he is likely to get in Scotland.  He then fecks off on holiday only to come back with the same shyte, why could he not have made it clear at the end of the season so we could go about his business in finding a replacement.  I think the club have made it easy for him to make us look like idiots but Dargo could have easily settled this issue months ago.. I know everything comes down to the money on the table but is it too much to ask for some sort of loyalty??

f*ck'm!

f*ck'm good

My main issue is that he's led us a merry dance for so long - we've lost time to search for better forwards.

Craig Dargo has been a wonderful player for us, no doubt about that, and we will miss him.  But we survived after we lost Wilson, Robson and Wyness, didn't we?

On the other hand, it's very tempting to put money on us being relegated next year.  Losing him and Dods, and Brown before that, is a blow that I don't think we can recover from in a hurry.

At the end of the day no player is bigger than the club as this has been proved time and time again.

The player's own agent said that ICT had made a "very good offer" only 2 weeks ago but today hinted that the offer was not good enough when he said you had to put the offer "into context with the goals that Craig had scored for the club and his market value."

That to me smacks of rampant ego - either by the player or the agent. In that circumstance, it makes Mr Dargo no better than any other mercenary (think Bingham or Brown) that has jumped ship for the lure of a fatter paycheck and therefore unworthy of our continued support.

I have no problem with applauding the likes of Robson going to Dundee Utd, Wyness going to Hearts or even Bobby Mann going to Dundee as they all moved for legitimate reasons that were either to do with stepping up to a higher level than ICT was at at the time or in the case of Bobby, being able to actually have a home life with his family but that agent's statement is either badly worded or totally mercenary. [note: I also have no problem with Darren Dods moving to United either as he was totally up front with the club and the fans and professional to the end.]

As with any player, I do thank Dargo for his contribution to ICT in the time he was here but I do not wish him well now that he is no longer an ICT player as his welfare is no longer my concern !!!