FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT going Green

Guest TinCanFan

Guest TinCanFan

With all the talk of global warming on TV can anyone come up with ways of making ICT more energy efficient.

Why this extreme obsession with the so called "carbon footprint"?

If this gas, which makes up just 350 parts per million of the atmosphere and isn't nearly in the same greenhouse league as methane (cowfart), IS really the reason for climate change, then the cause of that is PEOPLE.

It is people who put CO2 into the atmosphere through their way of life... they burn fossil fuels, they run cars, they use electricity made from the combustion of carbon compounds etc, etc.

If you really want to reduce CO2 emissions... then don't reproduce! The ultimate and guaranteed solution to the question of human production of CO2 is to limit the number of humans causing it.

Therefore, Al Gore, who has procreated four children, is rather more guilty of contributing to climate change than your average human being. Had he been rather less ambitious in that respect, then the world would have been that much more environmentally friendly.

So don't knock the Chinese because of their attempts to achieve Western economic standards. They alrerady have a 1 child policy which will do far more to stop CO2 emissions than anything Mr. Gore might have to say.

Here's another tip if you're serious about reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.... don't cut your grass or weed your garden. The more green material you have around, the more CO2 will be photosynthesised away!

true enough charles, there are tiny amounts of co2 in the atmosphere but already its theres too much to slow the process of climate change.

small amounts of co2 being released into the atmosphere form central europe for the past 100 years and increasingly from the far east is causing tiny increases in global temperature by thinning the oz layer.

the areas of the planet the most sensitive to small differences in temperature change are the tundra of north america and russia.  when they heat up the permafrost melts and releases more fresh water into the arctic ocean than there naturally ever should be.  by 'more fresh water' i mean billions of gallons of it every day, the worlds biggest rivers by volume are all in northern russia.

all of this extra fresh water is having an impact on the currents that regulate the temperature of the north atlantic, as fresh water retains less heat than salt.  changes in ocean currents beneath the north atlantic are releasing pockets (thousands of square miles of 'em) of methane between here and greenland, which makes any scratching at the surface mans been doing over the past couple of hundred years look as pathetic as charles seems to believe it is.

truth is the scratching and burning away is the trigger for a much greater and deadlier process, that although has naturally occurred hundreds of times since the earth developed an atmosphere has never actually been accelerated to current levels

if i was mr ict id build the stadium on higher ground

if i was mr ict id build the stadium on higher ground

It has crossed my mind, if rising seas are rising as fast as we are led to believe, do the club have an emergency plan for 25-50 years time should seas increase over the rocks and flood the place out or will they sit back and do nothing until its too late again. Something which should have been thought of before even digging at the longman.

On the plus side, we have slightly more time than Arbroath to think about it :021:

fortunately (for ICT), due to the effect of the glaciers, the north of Scotland is actually rising and the south of england is sinking into the sea - post glacial rebound for those who want to look it up. not sure if it is rising at the same rate that sea levels are but personally, I would be more concerned about the rise in levels if I lived further south !!!

So don't knock the Chinese because of their attempts to achieve Western economic standards. They alrerady have a 1 child policy which will do far more to stop CO2 emissions than anything Mr. Gore might have to say.

Here's another tip if you're serious about reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.... don't cut your grass or weed your garden. The more green material you have around, the more CO2 will be photosynthesised away!

Cute, Charles, but this is neither the time of place to talk about the ethics, and implimentation, of Chinese population and gender control moves. But otherwise, anything that cuts down gardening is OK by me.

As for energy efficiency, I think the master of the was David Xausa, who saved energy by not chasing balls.

Why this extreme obsession with the so called "carbon footprint"?

If this gas, which makes up just 350 parts per million of the atmosphere and isn't nearly in the same greenhouse league as methane (cowfart), IS really the reason for climate change, then the cause of that is PEOPLE.

It is people who put CO2 into the atmosphere through their way of life... they burn fossil fuels, they run cars, they use electricity made from the combustion of carbon compounds etc, etc.

If you really want to reduce CO2 emissions... then don't reproduce! The ultimate and guaranteed solution to the question of human production of CO2 is to limit the number of humans causing it.

Therefore, Al Gore, who has procreated four children, is rather more guilty of contributing to climate change than your average human being. Had he been rather less ambitious in that respect, then the world would have been that much more environmentally friendly.

Chairman Mao famously said that every mouth was attached to 2 hands and was non-plussed by population expansion. In the cities nowadays couples are discouraged from more than one child...they get education, health and tax disincentives. However in the country, where physical labour is the difference between survival and starvation it is much much less a factor. Families will procreate until the son arrives or at least until there is enough bodies to till the soil. (Infanticide is widely acknowledged and suicide among desperate female adolescents is obscenely high.) The flip side that the govt. is now trying to tackle is the time-bomb consequence that the fastest expanding community in China is the barely literate peasant and farming classes. The one child policy is not filling the middle class jobs quickly enough to sustain this meteoric economy.       

i think the south of england is sinking about 10 inches a century!

That's nothing! I used to know a girl in Dundee that could...  :33:Moderator has requested that the author cease and desist

:getmecoat:

i think the south of england is sinking about 10 inches a century!

That's nothing! I used to know a girl in Dundee that could...  :33:Moderator has requested that the author cease and desist

:getmecoat:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Was that an old Chinese proverb or a dirty Fintry **** ?

Guest samuelbarros

Summer football !!

Light days and light nights means a much reduced need for floodlights.

Not to mention that it's much nicer to spectate on a warm day than sitting around in the cold.

Perhaps sorting out the usual car park madness at the end of the game would be a start to ICT and fans going green,less revving of engines and the like.  :sillywave:

Summer football, now wouldn't that be great you could get a tan in the main stand, and not soaked through with the highland mist. The club could sell lots more sunhats too.

What about Solar pannels or wind turbine thingies (no not those huge ones on the black isle) attatached to the main roof aren't there grants for things like that?  :001:

Guest TinCanFan

Sounds like a good idea us2.  I remember hearing somewhere on this site that Uefa were keen to start a cup for the greenest team so your ideas could get ICT into Europe.  And isn't it about time they tarred the the whole car park and put in some kind of drainage system cause I've been there when the car park looks like a mini Loch Ness.

Why not to stop the car park madness but having more free transport to the ground on matchdays or even a rail link.  :024:

isn't it about time they tarred the the whole car park and put in some kind of drainage system cause I've been there when the car park looks like a mini Loch Ness.

short answer - yes

(alleged) reason why it wont happen .... no rates (or at worst - miniscule ones) are payable while it remains as it is ... the minute its tarred it will cost the club considerably more