FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

work permit

big man

I imagin that if our new star from abroad had been signed by Rangers or Celtic he would have had his work permit the next day.

Can anyone enlighten me into why it is taking so long :024: :024: :024: :024:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TinCanFan

I was wondering about ths aswell because it shouldn't take very long because Romania is now in the EU and maybe he already has a work permit and we don't know about it.

I was wondering about ths aswell because it shouldn't take very long because Romania is now in the EU and maybe he already has a work permit and we don't know about it.

UK Home Office places restrictions on 'workers' from Bulgaria and Romania - they are allowed to do this for up to 7 years after the country joins the EU. HERE

According to the basic info pages, permits take "one to two weeks" but there is a separate page for footballers where no timescale is stated. HERE

Well Scotty, you never fail to amaze me, you remind me of the guy who was on a football show I think he was called staty he knew everything about anything.

Thanks for the clarification, although I still have the feeling had it been the weegies he would be playing by now . :022: :022: :022: :022:

Well Scotty, you never fail to amaze me, you remind me of the guy who was on a football show I think he was called staty he knew everything about anything.

Thanks for the clarification, although I still have the feeling had it been the weegies he would be playing by now . :022: :022: :022: :022:

:015: :015: - Statto - on Baddiel and Skinner .... mmmmmmmm. nahh, the secret is to have good sources - Google and 13 years worth of match reports and Ian Broadfoot's stats tend to be enough for this site  :003:

the worrying thing for me is the 75% requirement for international games - he does not satisfy this criteria.

I believe the 75% rule may apply to players coming in from outside the EU only.

If not, then his time out injured will reduce the number of games where he was available for selection in the last couple of years and he may still manage the 75% requirement.

Agree with CaleyD. The International footballer criterea does not apply in this instant because the player is an EU National. The restricted access to Bulgarians and Romanians does apply though. Here's hoping Mr Savage can get it sorted soon.

For What its worth here are the current Home Office Guideline for Footballers obtaining a Work Permit.

Work permit arrangements for football players 2007/2008 season

Background

The work permit criteria for football players for the 2007/2008 season are set out below. These criteria were agreed following consultation with the football governing bodies. This criteria sheet is supplementary guidance to the published employer guidance notes and both sets of guidance should be referred to when making an application.

Length of season

The playing season for this sport is from August to May.  This may vary slightly from season to season depending on the arrangement of the first and last matches in the different leagues.

There are two transfer windows during the year.  One is during the close season and the other is the mid-season window which opens at 12.01am on the 1st of January and closes at midnight 31st January (see International Transfer Windows below for more details).

Criteria

Work permits will be issued to international players of the highest calibre who are able to make a significant contribution in footballing terms to the development of the UK game at the highest level (i.e. clubs competing in the Premier Leagues and Football Leagues in England and Scotland, the Welsh Premier League and The Irish Premier League in Northern Ireland).

Initial Applications

To be eligible for a work permit:

A player must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive ?A? team matches he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application; and,

The player?s country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application.

Competitive Matches

The definition of a competitive ?A? team international match is a:

World Cup Finals game

World Cup Qualifying group game

Football Association confederation tournament game, for example:

The FIFA Confederations Cup;

The UEFA European Championships and Qualifiers;

The African Cup of Nations and Qualifiers;

The Asia Nations Cup and Qualifiers;

The CONCACAF Gold Cup;

The CONCACAF The Copa Caribe;

The CONMEBOL Copa America;

The OFC Nations Cup and

The UNCAF Nations Cup

International Appearances

Prior to submitting an application, clubs should provide written confirmation of the player?s international appearance record over the preceding two years highlighting the competitive ?A? matches.  This should be obtained from the player?s home association.  The sports and entertainments team, Border and Immigration Agency, will be unable to make a decision on the application until written evidence is provided. If any evidence submitted needs verifying, the sports and entertainments team, Border and Immigration Agency, will liaise with other parties and verify all information through all available sources, if necessary.

Injuries

Exclusion from selection for international matches due to injury or suspension will be taken into consideration when applying the criteria.  Clubs should submit supporting evidence in such cases stipulating the games the player has missed.

It should be noted that where a player is listed as on the substitutes? bench, he will not be considered as injured when reaching a decision on a work permit application. 

FIFA Rankings

There are currently 204 international teams listed in the official FIFA world rankings. Those countries which have regularly achieved a 70th placing or higher over a period of two years are regarded as nations who have competed regularly at a highly competitive international level and have players of the highest standard who have contributed consistently to the achievement of that world ranking.

The sports and entertainments team, Border and Immigration Agency, will produce the aggregated two-year rankings list on a monthly basis when the official FIFA world rankings are published and those countries ranked 70th or above meet the criterion.  Click here for further information.  If clubs have any queries about the rankings they should contact the sports and entertainments team, Border and Immigration Agency.

Did Poland not join the EU at the same time as Bulgaria and Romania yet none of them need permits.

Da Silva at Arsenal still doesnt have a permit so there may be a delay. He's played every game for Croatia in the last year but only has a 50% play rate cos he never played the year before. And Croatia aren't even in the EU either.

Be patient kids, all wil come good.

Did Poland not join the EU at the same time as Bulgaria and Romania yet none of them need permits.

NO. Poland joined in 2004, Romania in 2007.

basically - its up to the UK whether they want to impose restrictions on migrant workers for the first few years after a country joins the EU. I think the period is 7 years - its all in one of the links above.

Guest donmac298

Regarding the delay with the work permit CC is quoted in the P & J that "I did not foresee this, as I was led to believe he would be available for the start of the season".  You would have thought that any club giving a foreign player a contract would have ensured that all the loose ends were tied up prior to signing the contract.  However, all will be sorted out in due course.

hey, you try being a civil servant and getting time off in the summer!!!

From all accounts that I've heard, all is well and its just a matter of time.  Impressively enough, apparently the lad speaks 6 different languages.  Trivial maybe, but impressed me!