FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is Deano going to get a chance?

davieB

I'm struggling to see when it'll happen.

I don't get it. He had the best pre-season of any of the strikers, scores in the reserves, but other than fleeting 10 minute appearances, he's not been given a chance.

How about seeing what he can do on the wing as he's played there before hasn't he?

Guest ictgirl

As someone pointed out today - the corner flag was taller than Deano...just how on earth do you think he would have managed against a 6'7" defender?  Brewster got it spot on with his squad selection today.

Are you kidding me...this most be the most stupid post i've ever read!!! he is 5' 7" - ok not the biggest of strikers but i'd put money on it that he'd do alot better against a "6'7" defender" than Marius or Bayne.  Shaun Wright-Phillips is smaller than Deano and does he have any problems coming up against big defenders?!

Height is not important when you are a good footballer!

If you squad selection was spot on how come we never won?

Guest Arab4Ever

i dont pay much attention to english football but i am assuming SWP has a plethora of other skills which help make him a good player and even if hes as short as you say i doubt he is much use in the air. the truth is mcdonald looked to small to be a footballer and was constantly knocked off the ball. i dont think he won anything in the air and correct me if i am wrong but dont caley play quite a lot of the long ball game?

As someone pointed out today - the corner flag was taller than Deano...just how on earth do you think he would have managed against a 6'7" defender?  Brewster got it spot on with his squad selection today.

Never seemed to be an issue for Dargo.

I have to concede that I havent seen Deano play apart from a worthless 10 minutes at Muvversmell - but we were crying out fer pace up front yesterday. I suspect that Brew needs to look at him more closely as well - is it just me but could Deano do with the Brew training. He looks really top heavy andif he lost some weight from his thighs he may well motor.

And what about Watt - the new John Terry ?

Are you kidding me...this most be the most stupid post i've ever read!!! he is 5' 7" - ok not the biggest of strikers but i'd put money on it that he'd do alot better against a "6'7" defender" than Marius or Bayne.  Shaun Wright-Phillips is smaller than Deano and does he have any problems coming up against big defenders?!

Height is not important when you are a good footballer!

If you squad selection was spot on how come we never won?

You must be terribly selective in your reading if that's the stupidest post you've ever read on here  :015:

Out of curiosity, just who would you have played Deano ahead of then?  Brewster, the only forward we have capable of out-jumping such tall defenders (and he did on many occasions yesterday) and one of the SPPL top scorers so far this season or Niculae, the most classy player we had on the park yesterday?

On what do you base your suggestion that Deano would do better against larger defenders than Marius or Bayne?

Never seemed to be an issue for Dargo.

True, but again, who would you have played Deano ahead of and based on what?  And how often did you see Dargo beating 6'7" defenders in the air?

Deanos time will come and I actually do rate him from what I saw pre-season but he doesn't have the pace (yet) to take full advantage of the ability he has with the ball at his feet and as he won't be out jumping the opposition defense on a regular basis then he'll be looking to benefit from running at players in the same fashion as Dargo, not taking them on in aerial challenges.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that had Dargo still been in the squad then I wouldn't have been surprised to see him sitting out yesterdays game either.

There are only 11 spots to be filled on the pitch at any one time and it's all fair and well saying XYZ should play but you also have to look at who you leave out and how they fit in with the rest of the set up.

I'd love to see Deano out there playing and Zander Sutherland (before going on loan) would possibly have been another I would have had on the pitch but I'm not a Manager, I don't get to see how players perform in training etc.

A man with one eye could see that our team performed at the best it has for a long time yesterday and that includes every man from the front to the back.  It's easy to take a back seat and criticise (i've been known to do it too), but I don't believe that any change in personnel or set-up yesterday would have improved the result.  It just wasn't to be - end of.

True, but again, who would you have played Deano ahead of and based on what?  And how often did you see Dargo beating 6'7" defenders in the air?

Not often therefore I would change the way we play i.e. cut out the long punts up to him or at least aim them away from the defenders so he can chase the balls.

Both are pacey players (Dargo and Deano) and we utilised Dargos pace well in the previous 2 seasons. I think we could do the same with Dean. Depends how Brewster will want to play though.

A man with one eye could see that our team performed at the best it has for a long time yesterday and that includes every man from the front to the back.  It's easy to take a back seat and criticise (i've been known to do it too), but I don't believe that any change in personnel or set-up yesterday would have improved the result.  It just wasn't to be - end of.

Perhaps not the best phrase to use after playing Hibs... :confused02:

We never played much of the long punt up the park yesterday, but we were utilising the wings a lot and you need forwards with height to pick up on the crosses in to the box.  When we were playing the ball through the middle it was often with pace to the feet of Brew or Niculae who 9 times out of 10 were being harassed by a defender.  Deano simply wouldn't have had the size or presence to be coping with either situation too well.

As you've said, you'd be looking to change the way we play to accommodate Deano.  This is a team that have been struggling to find consistency, the last thing they need right now is wholesale changes to the team and tactics.  We need to get back to playing to our strengths to get us of the bottom and that's what we did yesterday.

I'm not knocking Deano, I think he is an exciting prospect, but he will just have to bide his time until the situation, game or tactics calls for his style of play.

Like ictgirl says, it's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the magic you can do with it.

From what you watched at the match yesterday, who would you have put Deano in ahead of and what would have made him more effective than what we had on the pitch?

Where do I say he should've played yesterday ?

and to the best of my knowledge I wasn't at the game ! :017:

I am mearly saying if he's good enuff he's big enuff, but I've only seen him briefly against Rangers where he was made to look even smaller against the their towering defence. The decision if he's good enough is up to the manager.

I have waved my wand in the Nairn Beach Pavilion  :001:

A not uncommon event -

Quote from Wikipaedia :

The council was surprised in 1997 to have Nairn named by Tatler magazine as Britain's number one venue for outdoor sex :010:

If it's good enuff for the posh tarts at Tatler....... :015: