Have Dundee got it

tm4tj

I see Dundee lost 3-1 to United last night in the derby match to boost the Arab Trust & Dee 4 Life. Good crowd of over 7774 at the game.

But, do Dundee have what it takes to win this league. They have been everybodies pre-season favourites, but so far have failed to set the heather on fire. In Griffiths they have the outstanding striker in the league. They have bought players in, but in saying that the players they have taken on board are not exactly household names and international superstars. They seem to be a well balanced side with the pick of the divisions players, a sizeable support and some financial clout. I am not so sure this will bring them the success we all want. This is a tough league to get out of at the right end, and whoever shall win it will undoubtedly have deserved it over the season. The only thing in Dundee's favour as opposed to the likes of County or Queens is the depth of their squad. Plenty said on the ICT forum about our own inadequacies, but whilst we are having a mixed season, the rest are all capable of taking points off each other. There does appear to be a divide in the league, thankfully just below us with Morton, Airdrie and Ayr looking the most likely candidates for the drop.

So..............do Dundee still look the team to beat or are they just limbering up. Although the Alba Cup final is considered a mickey mouse competition, I believe it will give us an indication as to who will be heading for the top and who will be here for the long haul. At the moment, we look like settling in to the first division life, but there is a long way to go and remember we came from seven point down to pip Clyde for promotion.

Recent history shows that the Division 1 title is easily bought, and Dundee are the only team with money.

When their Chairman goes public saying that they intend buying Utd's Robertson for ?500,000 in January it just highlights the gulf in resources. OK they might not get him, but will simply spend elsewhere to ensure they fulfil their ambition.

I don't think it was their Chairman that made the statement, it was Callum with the deep pockets and lack of understanding as to how players are approached!!

Dundee Utd did not complain re the unsettling of their player due to Callum's recent involvement into this market.

Will he buy big to improve the playing staff - with his wiping off their debts, funding their new buys up to date - why not??

So Starchief, I bet he does unless they are so far ahead they don't need to!

Now if we could only get a Callum for ICT.

As I understand it, he is not just being the security for the bank providing the cash, he is supplying the money so that if he walks away the club are not going to be left with big debts and little assets. They do not even now have to service big borrowings, just fund their ongoing costs which will, of course, be larger than ours due to the players pool and incomes being higher, if they are successful.

Do i think Dundee will win the league this year? I'm very optomistic,and for the first time since coming down! (although i always hoped we would,i was concerned about the sustainability if we went back up too soon)for several of the reasons stated above, mainly strength in depth of the pool,also Griffiths being different class and a huge asset in this league,but with Pat Clark,Higgins and Mcmenamin also avialable we have replacements to step in as will be required on Saturday V QOTS as Griffs away on under 21's duty.Gary Harkins is a quality signing and Klimpl has been a massive boost to shoreing up our dodgy defensive start to the season and his arrival has seen the form of Gary Mackenzie soar as confidence returns. i'm also reliably informed your own Pavels Mahujdinks is coming in January,also possibly the return of Milan Panelik.Competition for most places is fierce with Ritchie Hart showing up well last night apparently,so i'm more optomistic than in previous seasons that this one will end well :lol:

Callum Mellville has proved to be the shrewdest signing of the board,after getting a slating for spending 8 grand on an advertising campaign in the broadsheets,it has turned out to be money well spent.His "approach" for Scott Robertson was never more than a wind up and merely an off the record conversation with a journo,but as Jocky commented "Nice to know there's ?500.000 available if required! "

I reckon Partick will be main rivals,but as we all know, any team in this league can seriously dent any teams hopes.If we can get a wee run going and get our noses in front we'll be very difficult to catch.(Hope it disnae go to the last day of the season game at TCS!)

I don't think the final is any kind of indicator. We're capable of beating them a week on Saturday but I think they'll slowly pull away in the league.

Edit: anybody but those Partick feckers.

Edited by The Mantis

Nah, never did, never will. as many posters have said, any team in the top 7 in this league can beat the other, so there's no way I can see them pulling away from everybody else. They might sign people in January but, so will everybody else! Mind you, if they do get up, that's a fair few easy points for the arabs!

ooooerrrr missus

Dee fans revolting on P&B

"hi just joined the night was at dens the day what a lot of crap from dundee . i can t go on their site and say anything . we are kidding ourselves on if we think we ll win this league that manger has not got a clue . his tactical knowledge is a joke . if it was not for griffiths and bulloch we would be in the bottom 2 but try telling them that at dundee mad and you get booted out for being an arab i ve been a supporter for 43 years and you get treated like crap by that mad lot who think their god" .

Wher are ye Al............not the walk over this league as the big money boys would have everyone believe.

Dee 0 -0 Queens.............whats the low down, were ye robbed.

Dinnae think anyone at Dens wiz naive enough to think it was a walkover, but still think, come 1st of May we'll be there.I had yesterday doon as a draw on my predictor,wasn't down due to a prior arrangement for a 10 hour marathon in Reilly's,but didnae miss much by all accounts,poor performance and few chances created....must do better.Anyway, week aff the serious stuff and a wee bit fun next Sunday,see ya on the A9 and watch ya's greeting on the way back :dancing03: