FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

QOS -V- ICT : matchday thread

Scotty

After watching the highlights I reckon the ref has had a shocker. I can understand why Foran got sent off but there was no need to send Duncan or Lilley off. Just give them a talking to and get on with the match. The same for Butcher it happens with all managers when they dont get a decision. They have a bit of a rant but you saw that he went back to his dugout and that should have been the end of it but instead the ref needs to try and remind everybody that he is on the pitch as well.

That fat **** Chisholm had been complaining about Butcher before. There was an incident where Queen's no 4 mouthed off at Butcher and made to throw the ball at him. It was no surprise that Butcher went to the stand.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice in every video where the players are around the ref, Duncan's standing at the front gobbing his face off. Seriously, what a tool.

If mouthing at the ref was the benchmark, it would have been three a-side by the end yesterday! (no, make that 3 v 2)

That makes sense - the ref made (another) mistake and showed the wrong card, when he had intended to show both a straight red .... it also makes the reason for booking on sportbox site make sense too as "violent behaviour" is not a yellow card offence it is a red card one.

nope - just watched the youtube video linked above and my thoughts were wrong ...... its definitely a 2nd yellow - no mistake. he red cards the QOS player than puts the red back in his top left pocket, then he goes to Duncan, takes a card out of his top right and shows him the yellow closely followed by the red from his left.. the definite "second yellow shuffle" ........ so it would appear that in this universe only Alan Muir knows that Russell Duncan received a first yellow.

I'll compose the site's match report when I find the energy to do it...but here's my two cents.

1) We are ridiculously lucky to have Ryan Esson. His stop from Bob Harris in the first half was right out of the top drawer.

2) No arguments with Foran's red card. I'm going to dare to say that the ref perhaps should be cut a bit of slack regarding the other reds as I think he was told to send them off by his assistants.

3) I was accompanied to the game by a mate of mine who isn't into football much, but he described the game as "lazy football" and he wasn't wrong. Too often easy passes were misplaced and silly fouls committed. We were mediocre for long periods, responding only with little injections of quality here and there - Hayes' goal being a prime example. We have a lot of players who look like they can't be a***d putting in a full shift. This has been going on for too long.

QOS in contrast looked like a well organized bunch who made up for a lack of quality by grafting really hard; they deserved their point, I think.

Duncans sending off was definitely a second yellow card as he was booked earlier, first half I think. Not convinced about Forans first booking. It was certainly a crunching Souness like tackle, but possibly a hard but fair challenge. Maybe studs showing was the reason for it. I mentioned at half time that Foran would not last ninety minutes, he seemed to be on a mission to wind up someone, so no surprise that he was redded. That was a pity, we gave away one too many free kicks around the box and paid the penalty. Esson did make a fabulous save low down to his left and saved a certain goal at that point. Another great block in the second made his day out perfect. Little Jonny got the break of the ball as he sped through a challenge inside the box and he despatched the ball low and hard past the keeper from ten yards. We were giving it plenty, but for some they could do little right. Eric was hopeless, his touch was rubbish and he passed up numerous opportunities to start decent breaks as the ball broke off of his shins time and time again. Cox was disappointing in the first half, to the point of vying for worst player with Eric, but he put in some crunching tackles as the game wore on. Foran, despite his indiscretions was winning plenty of aerial balls and Rooney was coming into his own, holding up and distributing well. Lionel had a teriffic game, one blimp apart when he tried to dribble out from the back when the simple option was to hoof it. Point of note here, some of Lionels passing from defence was impeccable. Russell Duncan was also having a good one, but having been booked should not have got involved, pity as we need him in the team for most games. Proctor and Bully looked much better this week, but Grantie was exposed a number of times by the pace of Weatherson, who is a pretty nimble player. That said, Grant recovered well a few times also to keep them at bay. Butcher was sent packing because he thought that Rooney was taken down in a last man challenge some thirty yards from goal, and going away from the defender, and I agree with him. Rooney also shot over right at the death when he could have grabbed the deserved winner.

Overall, I thought we were the better team and fought very hard for the point. Ref did us no favours and he made a rod for his own back with early bookings.

Duncans sending off was definitely a second yellow card as he was booked earlier, first half I think. Not convinced about Forans first booking. It was certainly a crunching Souness like tackle, but possibly a hard but fair challenge. Maybe studs showing was the reason for it. I mentioned at half time that Foran would not last ninety minutes, he seemed to be on a mission to wind up someone, so no surprise that he was redded. That was a pity, we gave away one too many free kicks around the box and paid the penalty. Esson did make a fabulous save low down to his left and saved a certain goal at that point. Another great block in the second made his day out perfect. Little Jonny got the break of the ball as he sped through a challenge inside the box and he despatched the ball low and hard past the keeper from ten yards. We were giving it plenty, but for some they could do little right. Eric was hopeless, his touch was rubbish and he passed up numerous opportunities to start decent breaks as the ball broke off of his shins time and time again. Cox was disappointing in the first half, to the point of vying for worst player with Eric, but he put in some crunching tackles as the game wore on. Foran, despite his indiscretions was winning plenty of aerial balls and Rooney was coming into his own, holding up and distributing well. Lionel had a teriffic game, one blimp apart when he tried to dribble out from the back when the simple option was to hoof it. Point of note here, some of Lionels passing from defence was impeccable. Russell Duncan was also having a good one, but having been booked should not have got involved, pity as we need him in the team for most games. Proctor and Bully looked much better this week, but Grantie was exposed a number of times by the pace of Weatherson, who is a pretty nimble player. That said, Grant recovered well a few times also to keep them at bay. Butcher was sent packing because he thought that Rooney was taken down in a last man challenge some thirty yards from goal, and going away from the defender, and I agree with him. Rooney also shot over right at the death when he could have grabbed the deserved winner.

Overall, I thought we were the better team and fought very hard for the point. Ref did us no favours and he made a rod for his own back with early bookings.

Didn't see what happened with Rooney as I was at the other end of the ground in the main stand, but I could see TB was livid. Regarding Duncan, the ref was right in front of me, and Granty and Duncan were telling him in no uncertain terms that Duncan hadn't been booked before. Malpas and some of the players also tried to tell the linesman the same thing, but to no avail.

A draw was probably a fair result, as we did very little before the goal. We could then have had another, but Queen's came back into it.

It wasn't the early bookings that caused the problem, the ref was just random. He let some early stuff go then got the cards out and then put them away again. Queen's were pretty cute at trying to suck us into stuff when they transgressed - Eric's booking was a good example of this. Also the play-acting in the second half when Eric tackled their players was a joke. The ref was so far out of his depth he needed water-wings. I hate to think what could happen if they let that clown ref an old firm match.

Someone, Rooney I think also shot straight into the keepers midrift from twelve yards when a yard either side would have been in the net. We did score on one of our first forays upfield, but that was because of his quality.

Quite possibly the worst display of refereeing I have ever seen in a professional football match.

Just ridiculous. Absolute joke. That should be the man sacked now, first he ruins the Motherwell Utd game, and then he steps into this match, sends off 3 players and a manager. This man must have the smallest genitals in the world, to be that officious and pedantic.

In terms of ICTs performance, it was one of the better ones so far this season. We should have had this game wrapped up (again) and Muir did not help by denying a stonewall penalty, but even at 1-1 we had the better of the game and had a couple of chances, one which we should have scored.

Disappointing not to take all 3 points, and unless we remain unbeaten for the next couple of months it will be hard to make up 10 points.

I was sitting next to Mannie, and though I remember him being booked in the first half, I can't remember it now, but was it not along with the Quinn booking on 40 mins?

Anyway, when the ref turned and flashed a yellow after sending off Lilley, I immediately thought, that's Russell off, the red is coming up in the other hand.

On the other hand, if it's just Mannie and me having a senior moment, you'll be reading about an appeal from ICT in Monday morning's papers.

Edited by The Mantis

Don't see any reason why you wouldn't be allowed to.

And did the Queens fan at 3:30 shout what I thought he did at Odhiambo?

If you are referring to him using the "N" word, yep, it's in there.

No senior moment, I remember him being booked. In the first clash I thought thats it, next time he gets involved, he will be booked. Next time he got involved he got booked, how strange is that.

Good day out though, back in Edinburgh for half six, Thai curry eaten and just in time to see Joe Bonamassa in the Picture hoose, awesome. Finished off with a cultural evenings entertainment in the Port o' Leith.

Stunning life observations.

I watched the very exciting QOS fan highlights - didn't he do well. A lot more evocative of a proper match than some of the telly stuff.

Just popped in to say how hacked off I am getting with Russel Duncan's ability to play fair and shut the flip up. Early on he was batching at the ref. Why? What did he hope to achieve? He drove himself up a height with his repeated gobbing, then got in another pointless fracas, though at least he didnt throw himself on the ground this time, though, I understand he would have been well justified in so doing, on this occassion.

I am a fan of Duncan, I understand the limitations of his game, but think he gives his lot to the team, unlike several others. However, he must now be starting as a marked man. His gobsmanship has cost us dear, and we are left, again, with a patched up side.

And don't get me started on Foran...

That Queen of the South's official website match 'report' was a complete joke! If they really dominated 99% of the match they would have had a cricket score in their favour! lol we should complain about that so called report. It was laughable to read anyway :)

Being not quite as senior as some i can confirm that Russell was booked in the first half and was desperate for him to shut up and walk away later on as i knew that he was talking himself into an early bath. the bath must have been full by the time the match finished...........

I'm actually quiet glad he won't be playing next week. Not have as good as he thinks he is, but seems to be another one who should you not rate him, others come on foaming at the mouth

I personally think Duncan makes us a better side and had a decent game today - covered a lot of ground, tracked back, all the usual stuff he does in away games. Much better than anonymous Cox anyway.

The only people who foam at the mouth are those who don't rate him. Why do people say things like 'get the f**k away from our club Duncan' if they're not foaming at the mouth. BTW he got a chant today :) :D :D Only a hundred away fans but plenty of noise - ask somebody who was actually there whether Duncan put in a shift.

I know you like him and he may have played alright, but I personally don't think he's much good at all. Though he does seem to be one of these players who's immune to criticism with some people.

If mouthing at the ref was the benchmark, it would have been three a-side by the end yesterday! (no, make that 3 v 2)

Unfortunatey, he does it in every game, and it does no good whatsoever. He obviously has a rather high opinion of himself, and fancies himself as a bit of a hardmen type (in a Ricksen, Keane-esque mould). Unfortunately, he aint, and just comes across as a wannabe.

Don't see any reason why you wouldn't be allowed to.

And did the Queens fan at 3:30 shout what I thought he did at Odhiambo?

If you are referring to him using the "N" word, yep, it's in there.

Ridiculous, it shows that there are a few of these eejits still around. Hopefully someone reported that bright spark.

That Queen of the South's official website match 'report' was a complete joke! If they really dominated 99% of the match they would have had a cricket score in their favour! lol we should complain about that so called report. It was laughable to read anyway :)

Agreed. It sounds like it was written by a wee ten year old, bragging about winning at hop scotch.

WEll, I enjoyed the highlights and thank that worthy fan for posting them.

It was like a drink of water to a thirsty man in the desert.

Is it my imagination, but the pace of the players is not exactly electrifying...??

Or are they simply not fit enough to play hard for 90 minutes. Some of them, including Queen/O/S were ambling at times.

:)

I think Jonny Hayes might just outpace you Scarlet. This was a really heavy looking pitch with plenty of turf on it.

The bottom line is we could have won comfortably, Hayes, Rooney twice, Eric twice, Foran, and a couple of others all had great opportunities to kill the game. Queens had their moments, just not as many as us. Esson made three good stops and looked really comfortable, although I thought he was a bit flat at the free kick, it seemed like the obvious spot for the ball to end up. Good strike by Harris, but not a surprise as he is noted for it.

I know you like him and he may have played alright, but I personally don't think he's much good at all. Though he does seem to be one of these players who's immune to criticism with some people.

I reckon if Russeldinho was as good as he thinks he is, he wouldn't have been at TCS for 8 years :023:

Yes he's one of my fav players, mainly because he gives 100% and because he's been here since the Pele days. Also I think he is quite good, he tracks all over the place and wins the ball, but we all know about his passing.....

Usually I stick up for him because it's the opposite of what you say - some people can't give him any credit at all. He was getting booed in the SPL by our own fans FFS.

A big factor with Russell is, very few people go to away games and see the shift he puts in. His name got chanted on Saturday (and it wasn't me who started it) and I don't think any poster said he was crap this week, unlike Eric and one or two others.

At home games the whole team suffers because of the poor support they get. Russell in particular suffers IMO because he refuses to hide on the park.

Edited by The Mantis

I suppose in one way it was what we all want from a football match, a bit of everything. Rooney was clearly taken out in the second half leading to Butcher getting sent to the stand. I even had a Queens fan agree with me so it must be true. I had the pleasure of meeting the ref outside and voiced all our concerns to him in a polite and constructive manner! I also had the pleasure of meeting Barry Wilson who was like a little lost boy when he came up and tried to explain himself. He called over Grant Munro to ask if it was a foul but Grant's defence of Barry wasnt exactly resounding. He claim that he was dissapointed that ICT didnt win didnt go down will with the Queens fans next to us either!

I also had the pleasure of meeting Barry Wilson who was like a little lost boy when he came up and tried to explain himself. He called over Grant Munro to ask if it was a foul but Grant's defence of Barry wasnt exactly resounding. He claim that he was dissapointed that ICT didnt win didnt go down will with the Queens fans next to us either!

Good to know he'll still take the coaching job when it's offered :)