News
    There is no UNITY without COMM-UNITY : Please sign the petition at change.org CLICK HERE ///---///\\\---\\\ JOIN the Supporters Trust : We need Supporter #TogetherNESS more than ever and to speak with one voice. Join the Trust today CLICK HERE ///---///\\\---\\\

Inverness Cup Final

caleyrule

Did he not say it was the semi final?

Knowing our new announcer he prob said it was the world cup semi finals but no i'm pretty sure its the Inverness cup final. A chance for the youngsters and reserves to get a run out, dont expect to see any first team players getting risked ahead of the derby.

The Inverness Cup is a very old trophy going back to the late 19th century but the competition has fallen into abeyance of late following some epic finals in the 90s (such as ICT 5 Ross County 2 at Grant Street in 1995 in front of a crowd of 2500). It was administered by the Inverness FA and contested by the clubs in and around Inverness - Thistle, Clach, Caley, County, Brora, Nairn, Forres and occasionally Elgin. The final has to be played in Inverness. It was actually at an Inverness Cup semi final between Caley and Clach at Telford Street that the famous "bus" merger protest took place in 1993.

The current idea was to revive the trophy and put it up for competition between Caley Thistle and Clach in a one off game with the proceeds going to the Clach Survival Fund.

I am led to believe that an unnamed club objected to Clach getting the money and this nearly sank the plan but that objection has now been withdrawn.

As a result the two clubs will meet at Grant Street tomorrow night (Monday) at 7:30pm.

Clach - 1 defeat in 6. ICT - 1 defeat in 12. Should be some encounter. :004: :)

Edited by Charles Bannerman

ICT 5 Ross County 2 at Grant Street in 1995 in front of a crowd of 2500.

Does anyone know why that game was played on a Saturday? Was it an international day?

I thought i might find the answer to this question by googling "inverness cup final" 1995, but this just leads to threads from 2003 where ICTChris and Charles Bannerman are reminiscing about that great afternoon at Clach park.

ICT 5 Ross County 2 at Grant Street in 1995 in front of a crowd of 2500.

Does anyone know why that game was played on a Saturday? Was it an international day?

I have a feeling it might have been because it was the old First Round of the Scottish Cup which sent the SFL programme into abeyance and both teams had byes. I checked Against All Odds but it seems I haven't specified there.

What an afternoon that was! It was Mike Teasdale's and Brian Thomson's debuts and Iain Stewart got a hat trick and MoM although many felt that Daisy Ross should have had a shout as well. He was in one of his classic "get the heid doon and blow the oppostiion away down the left wing" modes.

I don't expect tomorrow night will be quite the same occasion. But the game is certainly worthy of support at least for the fans of one Inverness club which has had quite a lot of good fortune to show solidarity with a club which has had a lot less luck and whose survival would also ensure that Highland league football survives in the town in which it was founded all these years ago.

Miss ICT asked about the team. I would imagine it will be quite "fringe" and I don't know much more although the manager told me Nick Ross will be playing and Roy McBain told me he also will be in action.

contested by the clubs in and around Inverness - Brora

didnt realsie brora had moved to in and around inverness :021:

60 miles isn't a long distance in Highland League terms. I remember being at a cracking Final, I think it must have been, at Telford Street around 1992 because it was Ross County and Brora who were playing. I think a young Barry might have scored that night.

I'm actually tempted to make an appearence for this one...

I have never been to grant street park, or indeed seen clach, and as this may be my last chance it'll be worth the ?6...

Just out of interest, who can we expect to see playing? I'm guessing a good chunk of the squad will be reserves, but does anyone reckon that some of the first team will be getting a game? Perhaps the likes of Djebi-Zadi, Foran (as he's suspended) and McBain etc. will all turn out?

Hopefully Roy gets a game tonight, shines and features on Saturday. He's been out of the first team on a regular basis for far too long. If I was in Inverness tonight I'd be there. Have they closed the clach club now? Decent wee place for a pre-match pint.

Edited by Top Six Next Year