FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Matchnight Thread : Celtic -V- ICT

caleyrule

well at least the ref has ended that

it has to be said now that i have watched one game on tv, one live and been on here for another this season

so far imho it looks like we are woefull in defence,

(TV GAME) mccourt was given acres of room to wander through at the back against celtic, defenders seemed almost acared to actually attempt a tackle, to a degree this was understandable as it was on the edge of the box but surely someone has to make a descion one of these days in a match ?

(LIVE IN THE CROWD)against hearts i thought we started not to bad, to an extent i was even impressed a little by innes and the fact he seemed more than willing to get stuck in and have a go, however it quickly became evident that he seems to do nothing but that and i think we will see very little of him this season through either suspension or injury.during this game proctor seemed to be way out of his depth and too a degree very unsure of himself at this level which is wrong as he has been there before and he knows what to expect. tokes i think is in his last year...i seriously cant see how he can continue to play at this level as he has neither the pace nor the agility to keep up to it... think the combination of these things is also dragging grants game down not to mention that we had Golly on the bench whilst we played rosscoe out of position)

(ONLINE UPDATES)

granted these can be a bit biased but the majority of comments tonight appear to have aluded to what many of us have known for quite sometime,

we have no defence to speak of

Terrible team choice imho.

Celtic park is not the place to give youngsters a chance, maybe against a 3rd division team but not one of the Old Firm. It should be Celtic playing the weakened side not us.

I think Butcher almost decided we were never going to win this game and just decided to concentrate on the league (we on the other hand know that miracles can happen, and that we can beat Celtic).

Not good for confidence or team morale.

It's one thing to write off this game as unwinnable, play a bunch of reserves and think only of the next league match (a la Mick McCarthy and Wolves last season).

It's another thing to rest 3 or 4 guys, and basically play half a team - now we've been thumped, and our first choice defence now have even less confidence than after the Keystone Cops act against Hearts.

TB - what were you thinking?

Equals record defeat I think! So far!!!

Would one more make this our heaviest ever defeat?

I've just looked up the stats to confirm that this was our worst ever defeat, and it's equal to 0-6 against Airdrie exactly 9 years ago today in the league.

http://caleythistleonline.com/stats-facts/2

Highest League Defeats [away] (before tonight) - 5-0 Vs Celtic and Rangers, 6-0 V Airdrie

Highest League Defeats [home] (before tonight) - 1-5 Vs airdrie & Ross County

Highest Cup Defeat [away] (before tonight) - 5-1 Vs Ayr United

Highest Cup Defeat [home] (before tonight) - 0-3 Vs Rangers & Aberdeen

Very dangerous to play a weakened team against a top team like Cletic.

Upside (supposedly) is that no player of real importance gets injured.

But that feeling has to be weighed in the context of the fact that the Cup comes around only once a year whereas there is a long, long way to go in the league with many more games to play.

The downside is that a heavy defeat can look bad in the record book.

Secondly, the fans who actually made the trip to Parkhead deserved better than this.and, as someone has already pointed out , a full strength team COULD possibly have had a great result.

Thirdly, the fans who stayed at home, for whatever reason,and support the club have a right to expect the team to perform as well as the reputation of the club demands.

Fourthly, the morale of the club , and the players, might easily take a nosedive which could have the add-on effect of a severe loss of confidence in the players participating in the immediately-succeeding matches . Which is counter to whatever effect the suggested losses from injuries referred to in the "Upside" above could be.

The reputation of the club could suffer and the action of fielding a weakened team could be viewed by a team like Celtic as somewhat insulting, and hand them a reason to run up a cricket score.If Celtic, or any other "big" team, realises that they are going to win and they have respect for the opposition then they may be less likely also to ease off and not slaughter ICT. In this case I don'tthink that Neil Lennon cared a whit what happened to ICT which is not good.A high score for them will also add to their confience and make it MORE difficult for teams to compete against themeffectivelyand, like it or not, the SPL needs both Rangers and Celtic.

All in all , maybe I don't have a right to express too forcibly an opinion since I never get a chance to get to Tulloch Stadium because I live in Western Canada, but what I can say is that this result today leaves me more than a bit disgruntled ansd sick and I have a bad tyaste in my mouth that it was not a very courageous thing to do not to filed the very strongest team that the club could .

Opinions requested though. :annoyed:

what a shambles, i'd like to hear what butcher says about that! we went in with a team poised for defeat, its a shame on the guys on the field, the fans in the stadium and the fans at home who will get hassle for being taking a beating that make Ike Vs. Tina look like a pillow fight.

we should have at least tried, even if it means playing our first team squad more than once in a week. i feel butcher put out that squad like they resembled that goat from Jurassic Park.....