FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT -V- Kilmarnock : Matchnight Thread

Scotty

BBC report summed it up as a very good game but with the difference being how the Killie midfield supported a lot better and were more creative. That seemed to sum up the St Mirren match too. It seems we are missing Jonny more than we should and I would certainly like to see Blumenshtein and Sanchez given a chance to freshen things up. But let's not get carried away here and have talk of a risk of going into free fall. We've lost 2 matches against teams who played very well and who perhaps got the rub of the green. There are maybe things which could and should improve but we'll win again soon and the fact is that we remain on course for the highest ever finish in the clubs history. Sounds good to me.

:ictscarf:

I'll put my match thought on later, I will come out and say however... the one gob **** that came out with "Bell I'm going to rape your mother" "we are going to tag team your mum" and shunt this shunt that, having a POP at a lad in row L saying shut the funk up and sing you shunt..... seriously bawbag wind your neck in, the lad sings ant cheers on the team with a lot less venom than this one mouth piece..... I'm going off the section just on that wee bawbag.

Oh n the "the Jew" and he's no foreskin pish as well seriously chaps..

I dont think he would be so smug if he was filmed and u tubed

Sorry RIG but Tokely made superb tackles on numerous occasions to save us for first call stopped almost certain goal only if duff had followed bryson could have stopped which he did again shortly after.

In my opinion either gilet is back from injury soon or buy someone to replace shinnie i know he is future blah blah put someone good against him he is destroyed crossing is abysmal why they let him take free kicks i dont know and was caught out of position on many occasions feel sorry for him in fact receives no cover at all from foran at all.

Duncan+cox quite simply not good enough it is said hot and cold v hibs fantastic but lets be honest its to do with formation of course going to get overun when they are both left to face the oppositon midfield alone.

Foran cant play wide either needs to be put in centre of midfield to help with the physical fight or up top with rooney as rooney cant win headers plain and simple and minus hayes it appears to be the only channel players willing to take.

The introduction of Roy back into the team although not inspiring would help shore up the midfield on the left instead of foran as actually provides cover which shinnie being so inexperienced needs or maybe morrison a player with nice passes. Blumenstien has nice touches and good both feet surely a better option on left than foran all be it same problem no pace.

For me it has been shown odhiambo has no fight and clearly has no place to fit in this formation Butcher refuses to change and sanchez well a lot say he should play but imo wasn't up to standard for last season so why in spl?

One of only plus points from st mirren was Shane Sutherland yet today dropped really i know out of position on wing but did more than eric does in games...

In short we need new full backs or return of Gillet and never thought would say it but proctor. And to change formation at home minus hayes no creativity are play would suit big kevin kyle not rooney needs help up top.

Or we will start dropping down that league.

Edited by Sean127
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Despite the scoreline I thought our back 4 had a decent game, the problems were further up the pitch. Ducan and Cox our two 'defensive' midfielders were absolutly SHOCKING imho, both picked up stupid bookings, and left the backline exposed far too often.

Couldn't agree more DBS. Killie midfield absolutely ****** Cox and Duncan with quality passing, movement and control. This is our weakest area!

Edited by collectiveaction

Despite the scoreline I thought our back 4 had a decent game, the problems were further up the pitch. Ducan and Cox our two 'defensive' midfielders were absolutly SHOCKING imho, both picked up stupid bookings, and left the backline exposed far too often.

Couldn't agree more DBS. Killie midfield absolutely ****** Cox and Duncan with quality passing, movement and control. This is our weakest area!

How can you expect cox and duncan to outplay an entire midfield when they essentially face them alone..

• Disagree 1

I think a lot of our problems at home arise from the fact that we do not adapt our formation to suit playing at home.

The 4-2-3-1 which he has stuck with has been a revelation away because it is suited perfectly to playing counter attacking football. We have done it to teams for over a year and now teams are doing it to us on our own patch

Simply put, we should not be playing counter attacking football at home. Away from home we are happy for the opposition to have the ball at the back and then break up play and counter. This will not work at home and quite evidently is not working.

We gave Killie too much time on the ball and they passed in simple triangles to feet and could retain possession comfortably. Killie or any away team for that matter should not have seen as much of the ball as was allowed tonight.

IMO the 4-2-3-1 system is ideal on the road but we need to alter it at home so that the opposition see as little of the ball as possible.

Edited by Libero
  • Agree 1

How can you expect cox and duncan to outplay an entire midfield when they essentially face them alone..

I don't but I DO expect them to find a player with a pass and move appropriately once they have managed to find a team mate. To my mind they are too similar thus get outplayed when up against anyone who has sharper control and an ounce of creativity. On too many occasions Cox in particular, when he has the chance to pass forward opts to pass it back. Granted neither Cox or Duncan are helped by the lack of creative movement throughout the whole team, or just movement!!!!

Sorry to say this lads n lasses but we were always losing this one. Killie are a very good side - probably the best in the SPL IMVHO. Our problem is at the back. As much as people like Munro and Tokely, neither have the pace to keep up with SPL strikers. Is it Terry's fault? Again, IMVHO opinion no. There's not the fanbase to support the team financially.

Ultimately, and it's the last thing I'll say tonight:

FTOF.

• Agree 1

Didn't see or hear the game today but note that there are some thoughtful posts above.

It will also be interesting to see whether or not Terry will react to what some posters feel is a one-dimensional approach by the team (which also includes the results of his decisions and selections of course--that's why it's called a team) by making significant changes.

In short, how flexible and immediate will the Manager's response be? :ponder:

i to think we need a formation change maybe revert to 4-4-2. Against motherwell we brought sutherland on to partner rooney and i thought we looked dangerous and were unlucky to draw i think we ever need a another striker on the pitch or use foran as i think he is wasted out wide when he should be in the box challenging for the ball in the air as i dont think we get enough support to adam. Eric tried but he was to deep where as sammon always had an attacking option for him to seek where as we played aimless balls for rooney to chase as we had no other option. i also think sanchez would have been perfect tonight as cox and duncan are no playmakers and couldnt play a ball splitting pass to save there lives all they kept doing was side to side we do miss johnny as we lose a direct threat and slows the tempo for me so we need a creative midfielder who when johnny is unfit like the moment then we can get someone to play those ball splitting passes in a slower tempo with men behind the ball. i also thought that shinnie who has had a good season was murdered tonight by killie he just couldnt cope while munro looked scared duff gets forward but not beyond to get the crosses in and rossco played well he got stuck in the 2nd half but we still looked more open than a whores legs im afraid

Killie played well today and they have some outstanding players. I don't think it's because we played poor, I think it's because they played so well we couldn't play any good football. It's not the end of the world guys

As Top 6 says, we were never winning this game purely down to the fact that Killie are on a trememdous run at the moment and don't look remotely close to losing. That said, I thought we were still below average (although an improvement on Sunday). Once again Cox got a silly booking early on and couldn't do anything the rest of the game defensively incase of a second yellow. He should have actually received a second yellow for a late challenge on Kelly (I think).

I was going to start a new thread on my other point but I'll see the kind of response I get here -

We know Hayes picked up his ankle injury after turning awkwardly on the indoor astro at the HFA. Now I know a chap who is close to Foran and apparently he is also injured, as are a few other first teamers and 2 youths are out for a couple of months, all after training on it.

Now call me paranoid, but is it not a tad coincedental that we give our 2 worst performances of the season after a session or 2 at that particular facility? With Foran looking very sluggish?

Unfortunately, this came as no surprise to me. We were second to every ball and second rate compared to Killie. We appear to have bottomed out and will probably end up around eighth or ninth. Such is life.

Starting to dread home games now, and that is just not cricket.

On the plus side......................there is no plus side.

Yeah, Foran looked off the pace, but then again so did Rooney who was more or less jogging about - his mind looked elswhere?!

And another thing whats with Gillet, is he on a skive? heard he was fit and training well so hows he not playing, young Shinnie will be some player in the future, but at the moment he's getting caught out quite often possibly due to lack of size/weight/pace, Nick Ross weaves a pretty pattern with the ball but is as dangerous to the oppostion as a cute puppy.

But as said above Killie very pretty good last night, better than us, but they will lose Eremenko in January and thats like us losing Hayes.

I'm sure we can sort it out vs the Saints on sunday.....:ictscarf:

Edited by caley100

Once again Cox got a silly booking early on and couldn't do anything the rest of the game defensively incase of a second yellow. He should have actually received a second yellow for a late challenge on Kelly (I think).

Cox wasn't booked last night

• Agree 1

I was racking me head trying to remember, Grant, Shinnie, Foran and I thought Duncan, Coxy had a talking to for a wee bit late but getting the ball long slide in the center circle.

Sorry RIG but Tokely made superb tackles on numerous occasions to save us for first call stopped almost certain goal only if duff had followed bryson could have stopped which he did again shortly after.

Erm, Tokely (and Munro) got absolutely beasted by Sammon on numerous occasions and Tokely himself was guilty of turning over possession with all these aimless hoofs up the park, more often than not, out of play. Both he and Munro were pulled apart by Killie. It was a very poor performance defensively last night where only Esson can really emerge with pass marks.

We're not talking about outplaying an entire midfield but in their role as defensive midfielders they should be closing down the space / man with the ball and trying and break up the opposition attacks. Last night Killie were given a lot of space which they exploited, particularly in behind our midfield and in front of our defence where there was a lot of free pitch on offer.

• Disagree 1

Personally, I thought Tokely was a one man band last night, with only Esson giving him a hand now and then.

Good report though rig.

Killie were good, too good for us. It is very disappointing how the last couple of games have gone tots up, maybe we all need a break