FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Cup Exit...Blow to Pars in League?

CaleyD

As fans we often get caught up in the idea of "Must Win" games, and games that "Will Define a Season" etc etc.

You could argue that no one game, certainly not at this stage of the season, carries any more weight in that regard than any other...but I wonder just how much of a "Must Win" last night was for the Pars....and maybe also for us as well!!!

There's little doubt that the Pars need to strengthen during this window and a win last night and the tie against Celtic would perhaps give them some funds to allow them to do that. As it is, they now appear to be up chit creak and paddling with lollipop sticks. Like most teams, they don't have two pennies to rub together so can't offer financial incentive and their current league position isn't going to have players queuing at the door to go there....even on loan deals.

It now looks like McIntyre now has to rely on what he has got and what he can keep and somehow work that into a team that can get them out of trouble....and we've seen nothing of them this season to suggest that's going to happen.

Would ICT have found themselves in a similar boat had we lost last night? I don't think so. I've said from the start of the season that we had a squad that was capable, they just had to start clicking. We're now 5 games unbeaten, and not playing nearly as well as we have been in some games. Our biggest problem has been injuries and suspensions...and for that reason alone I think it would be good to add a couple of players. In fact we've already added one with Steve Williams, and although we've lost Davis he played in an area where we have a few options.

We don't know how ICT set their budget for this season and whether or not that budget relied on some kind of cup progress and the money coming to us is already spent....but if it's not, then hopefully we can bolster the squad a bit. If the money is already in the budget and none of it is available to Butcher....then I don't think that's the end of the world, so long as injuries and suspensions don't continue to haunt us!!!

McIntyre on BBC:

"It is a huge disappointment because obviously there would have been extra money made available if we had got through," he said after the 3-1 loss.

"But I hope to add at least one body, if not two."

Squandering home advantage in their fourth-round replay means the Pars miss out on a lucrative home tie against holders Celtic.

"It's a bitter blow," McIntyre told BBC Scotland. "There's no doubt a tie against Celtic live on television would've enabled me to bring in further players.

"I will just need to sit down with the board and see what funds are available."

Of course, if they can't get a better squad, the other option is to get a better manager - or at least one who does something different that might just galvanise the squad and get a "new manager bounce" for the remainder of the season.

I'd say that is there best only hope of avoiding relegation.

See a 'free fall' situation developing at EEP and agree with Yngwie that the only possibility of avoidance is a new manager.

May be the case that they are daft enough to return to Calderwood in the hope of retuning to the heights they reached then?

I don't think McIntyre has done anything particularly wrong. He just has a squad poorer than the rest. There's no home support. They've been out of the SPL for some time, so few 'leftovers' of a better time that ICT have. Maybe it's time to look to the longer game. Use any SPL bounce to develop younger/squad players and keep their squad together, then become a better team over the longer term.

Not the usual way in football but perhaps it should be.

We need to look after ourselves. The league match in a months time is now more vital for us not to lose. Dunfermline are not that far away from us at present. We now need to make the most of the extra cash but remember Dunfermline were last relegated in the year they had a good cup run. That said, we got our revenge for that last night.

We need to look after ourselves. The league match in a months time is now more vital for us not to lose. Dunfermline are not that far away from us at present. We now need to make the most of the extra cash but remember Dunfermline were last relegated in the year they had a good cup run. That said, we got our revenge for that last night.

We'll be fine. I know they're only 8 points behind us with a game in hand, but remember they had 8 points after just 4 games and have only gained 6 points since. They have just lost to the SPL's 2nd and 3rd worst teams (going by league position) at home and shipped 3 goals in each game. I think they'll be doing well to make 30 points this season.

But as we'll be in the top 6 come the split that'll be of no concern to us!

Dunfermline seem to drag other teams down to their level but still can't beat them. Two cup games against them and we were unable to edge them over 90 minutes in either and only scored in 180 minutes of normal time courtesy of defensive errors which would have been bad for a primary school 2nd team. I can't see the team improving sufficiently to get themselves off bottom slot. There is just no quality in the side. To be honest, they need to strengthen just to stay in Div 1 next season.

Having said that, we play the Pars in the league in February sandwiched between games against the OF. Whilst we have often done well against the OF we may well get no points from those 2 games and therefore the Pars game will be doubly important. Losing that could give the Pars hope, If we win then there is simply no way they will catch us. There is also the small issue of pride. How dispiriting will it be if we have played them 5 times and still not beaten such a poor side over 90 minutes.

Whilst the Pars can concentrate on the league now, I think they will reflect on the fact they are the only side in the current SPL no longer in the cup. It must be a blow to them and the message is pretty clear: next year they will be the only team in the current SPL no longer in the SPL.

The first thing DAFC should be doing is reducing their squad. Get rid of some of the wages and then maybe they could afford some quality.

Agree Alex. JM has assembled a squad of very average/poor players and taken risks with guys who haven quite clearly not cut it in the SPL previously. Perhaps less mediocrity and a little quality would make a difference but fear it may be too late. Let's hope so anyway!

They were level on points with Hibs and only 4 behind us with a game in hand when Gallacher got injured. I've never thought Macintyre was any good as a manager but he had them going reasonably well until that point.

If you look at how awful the boy Smith has been and how many games his errors have cost them of late (two against us anyway) surely having signed a new keeper we ought to expect them to improve a wee bit.

Dunfermline have signed Mark Kerr for the rest of the season. Pretty good signing for them, let's hope its their last.

Agreed, looks like hibs will be strengthening in the window too. We really could do with a couple of reinforcements. Hopefully any monies gained by our cup exploits will be given to Terry to strengthen the playing staff

Dunfermline have signed Mark Kerr for the rest of the season. Pretty good signing for them, let's hope its their last.

Agreed, looks like hibs will be strengthening in the window too. We really could do with a couple of reinforcements. Hopefully any monies gained by our cup exploits will be given to Terry to strengthen the playing staff

im pretty sure hibs have been stregthenning every transfer window for the last 5 years thats worked out well hasnt it

im pretty sure hibs have been stregthenning every transfer window for the last 5 years thats worked out well hasnt it

Well they finished 4th a few seasons ago so not every transfer window has been a disaster for them

Well they finished 4th a few seasons ago so not every transfer window has been a disaster for them

oryt 1 out of 5 im pretty sure people on here could of got them to 4th at a regular basis with the players they have had and have

Edited by lukemackay

Aye but the season they finished 4th. they were 3rd at Christmas and then went on a bad run and nearly dropped lower. That performances carried on to the start of the next season and then Yogi got sacked.

So it all went downhill from January!

Edited by CapitalCaley