FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Contract Situation

Sneckboy

49 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

So if Ryan is retained as No2 keeper and coach, who would you release Dean or Owain? 

I dont think that will be our choice sadly, I can see OFW getting an offer from England especially if he goes to the Euro's, Dean being injured much of the season may be a blessing if we want to resign him (which I would) as he's not been in the 'shop window' so we may not have much competition for his signature.

56 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

So if Ryan is retained as No2 keeper and coach, who would you release Dean or Owain? 

Good question, both are very capable keepers, both are ahead of Esson in my book, much as he has served us extremely well in the past and is a fans' favourite.

We don't know how the lay off and the injury is going to affect Brill, hopefully not in any way and he will soon get back to his best.

Fon .W is a good stopper especially to his left, his right not quite so good but still better than many. His ability at cutting out crosses can be questionable but he has plenty of courage in tackling on rushing forwards and doesn't hesitate when the need arises.

Brill the Commander of the box drilling his defence at the first sign of danger is an equally if not the slightly better stopper and holder when the shots come in but 'still learning the trade' when it comes to clearing passbacks and clearances, Williams better in that respect.

I like them both, both very capable in their own ways. decisions! decisions! so to answer your question I will go for Brill as he is the one who is most likely to stay with us  and correct me if I am wrong Sneckboy also has the better ratio of clean sheets.

Esson remains a very competent 'keeper in his own right and him fulfilling the role of both goalkeeper, first or second choice, and coach makes sound financial as well as sporting sense.

Three experienced 'keepers on the wage bill is a luxury we don't need and frees up a salary elsewhere.

I just hope at least 2 of the 3 will accept contracts if offered.  We are very lucky to have 3 such fine keepers on the books at the moment. None of them are contracted beyond the end of the season so we may actually be needing to search for a new keeper at the end of the season.  

Fon Williams is a great keeper but personally I think Brill is the better keeper all round! One thing that could prove to be decisive is that brill had the same 4 in front of him for the majority of last season where as FW has had an unsettled defence. That said, brill looks more confident when the ball is back to him and is better in the air! Brill also gets at his defender all 90 mins of a game keeping them sharp and alert which is something I haven't seen so much of from FW! 

I would love to have these 3 keepers on the books next season but if I had to choose it would be Brill and Esson! 

4 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

We have done pretty well with that set up up until now and, when called upon, Ryan has never let us down.

Dont know if he has or hasn't let us down. He's had to come on to the bench since Dean was injured and prior to that he was injured himself. As far as I remember he hasn't really featured in a match this season. I'm not saying he cant do a job if needed but I'd rather see him as full time coach working with the two first team keepers and the U-20 and youth keepers. I believe he can give more in that role.

I was under the impression that Esson's first team football days are behind him due to injuries.  Won't be surprised to see Brill and OFW (or someone else) as the two keepers next season with Esson the full time GK coach but registered for emergency purposes.

Edited by Renegade

Signed until the end of season (2018-19):
• Gary Warren

Signed until the end of season (2017-18):
• John Hughes - Manager
• Brian Rice - Assistant Manager

Signed until the end of next season (2016-17):

• Richie Foran

• Greg Tansey

• Josh Meekings

Signed until the end of this season (2015-16):

• Dean Brill

• Aaron Doran

• Danny Williams

• Ryan Esson

• Carl Tremarco

• Ross Draper

• James Vincent

• David Raven

• Danny Devine

• Ali Sutherland

• Liam Polworth

• Lewis Horner 

• Calum Ferguson

• Cammy Mackay

• Nat Wedderburn

• Jordan Roberts

• Owain Fon Williams

• Andrea Mbuyi-Mutombo

• Iain Vigurs
• Alex Fisher

On loan until the end of this season (2015-16):
• Miles Storey

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Development Squad players available for this season (2015-16):

• Calum Howarth

• Jason Brown  

• Jaime Wilson  

• Kane Hull

• Struan McArthur 

• Blair MacLennan 

• Chris Brown

• Stephen Rennie 

• Chris Blackett

• Daniel Hoban (goalkeeper) 

• Alasdair Stark  

• Andrew Macrae

• Cameron Gilchrist

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

It really is great news.  For such a key player to make such a long term commitment to the club can only be a positive move in encouraging others to stay.  With Meekings and Tansey also signed till the end of next season we have 3 top players who provide a solid base to build the team round.  Hughes' management skills will now be seriously put to the test in seeing how many of those out of contract at the end of the season will want to stay.  Top of the list for me would be a couple of the keepers, Draper, Doran, and Vincent - although there are several others I would also want to retain. I would also love to see Storey sign but his situation is less straightforward.  

1 hour ago, 12th Man said:

Did Gazza finally get a Cup final medal? 

Were there enough to go round ?

Funnily enough, I was reading about that just a few days ago in an interview he did with the Herald, after extending his new deal.
He stated that signing until 2019 would give him the chance to make it '3rd time lucky on a personal level'. It seems he missed out on a winners medal on top of not getting a League cup runners-up medal - but the club had applied on his behalf on both occasions, but were denied.
He mentioned that the 2 bookings rule (leading to a ban) is harsh on defenders who tend to 'take the most bookings'.

GARY WARREN, the Inverness Caley Thistle captain, is determined to use his bumper new deal to help drive last season's ground-breaking Ladbrokes Premiership team to fresh success. The Highlanders' defensive warrior sounded the rallying cry after committing his future to the club through to summer 2019.

Warren has twice suffered shattering heartache after being punished with automatic bans for both of the club's historic cup final appearances under manager John Hughes.
He danced in celebration at Hampden Park last May as the team triumphed in the Scottish Cup final against Falkirk, but the day was tinged with personal sadness after taking a costly second booking of the tournament in the semi-final against Celtic.

It had been a similar story just over a year earlier when a red card in the League Cup semi-final victory over Hearts denied the 31-year-old a place in the team ultimately beaten on penalty kicks by Aberdeen.

On each occasion, the club requested a medal for Warren in recognition of the huge part he had played in the campaign, but both times were denied. But after agreeing to the three-and-a-half year extension at the weekend, the talented Bristolian made it clear he is hungry to renew the club's tilt for major honours after last season's European qualification and silverware success.

Warren, who joined from Newport County under Terry Butcher in summer 2012, has embraced life in the north of Scotland with relish, settling with his family and establishing himself as a near ever-present first team mainstay.

"It's brilliant to have signed up – I'm very pleased," Warren said. "This is a club where I've enjoyed my time and I'm in my fourth season now. We've done some special things during my time here, but I want to make sure this club kicks on by maintaining its status in this league and improving every season. We're the Scottish Cup holders and we want to win it again. We're through to the next round of the Scottish Cup and I hope it is third time lucky for me on a personal level. It's unfortunate, but these things happen. I'm a defender who makes tackles and takes bookings.
The manager has been brilliant since I came here. He has developed me as a person and a player. When I first started with Inverness I was more renowned as a header and a kicker but he has brought out the passing style in my game which is what we are all striving for."

Warren, understandably, led calls for the SFA to rethink the rule that brings a cup final suspension on the strength of just two yellow cards in the competition. As yet, those pleas have fallen on deaf ears, but Warren is certain his – and the team's – glory day will come again.

• Agree 2

It's terrible really.  Gary Warren played in every cup game in that campaign apart from the final and was an integral part of the side and doesn't get a medal, yet Tarmo Kink who only played about 10 minutes against Raith, gets a winner's medal and then buggers off.  Doesn't seem right.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 7

I believe you're right, Renegade - that Tarmo Kink actually got a medal?! And cheers to 12th Man, for 'flagging this up'...it's an outrage!
I guess that in the aftermath of the elation at our incredible triumph, I'd never really thought about doing a break-down of the individual contributions to it, nor who received medals. But, reflecting now, the SFA specification regarding medal awards are totally unjust! Blimey, even Cammy Mackay and Lewis Horner will have Scottish Cup Winners' medals! (with due respect)
That's a farce! Should unused subs in the Final really get one?
Anyway, assuming that's the case, using Soccerway's database, here are the contributions to our cup success in minutes-played and goals scored (and 'keepers clean-sheets). Red = no medal.

56a9fc6654062_ScottishCup2015.jpg.9f02b0

• Agree 4