FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

January Transfer Window

Tichy_Blacks_Back

It is still a while off yet but with what you have seen/heard with 7 league games gone where do you think we need additional resources if we are to make a challenge for a top 6 place?  Goalkeeper, defence (yip), midfield or upfront (or all)  :024: 

Previous target - Liam Buchanan has 4 goals already - what about Richard Offiong?  Are there any potential signings in the lower leagues?

Personally as with the previous seasons I don't think there will be many changes but the squad does need to be freshened up further to allow for injuries, increase competition and move the club forward.  Maybe Brewster will have more influence in who comes and goes at the club in January?  :024:

Don't think we much in the way of new personnel, what we do need is for the players we have to develop a bit more consistency and confidence, and that will come (hopefully) with a better run of results. This is the deepest squad we've ever had and there are players on the bench and in the stand that we've barely seen yet - Watt, McDonald, Proctor, Kerr coming up through the reserves, Wood out on loan etc. From what I've seen in this season's four away games and from what I read about yesterday, central defence is still an issue. Would like to see what Watt can do but if we still look shaky by January then maybe we should be loooking for someone else and either selling Caff or returning McGuire to Dunfermline. Would also have said we need compettion for Hastings at left back but it looks like Morgan's back in contention under Brewster. Midfield has been our strong point again this season and Markus when fit will provide an alternative to Wilson. I think the strikers will come good - sounded like it was starting to improve yesterday - and we do have the luxury of being able to try out diferent formations. I was thinking yesterday that Buchanan looked like he would have been a great signing, but ultimately he didn;t want to come to us. Shame CC wasn't a bit more decisive when we had him on trial in January. As for GK, I don't think Brew will be looking for anyone else having got Malkowski. Not a signing that inspired confidence but maybe we can do for him what we did for Dods, Dargo etc. Then watch as he b*ggers off to one of our rivals for no fee.

Well at least this time we can be thinking about it. I still feel that we need an experienced central defender and McGuire is only on loan and Watt could be going to. We need a permanet fixture. Other than that we can sit back and watch fer a while. If Fraser continues to progress then we could be looking at another up and coming reserve next Summer. We probably have as strong a squad as we ever have and injuries more than anything else have hampered its effectiveness.

a small nippy striker (Offiong) and a natural left winger that can hit the byline and put in a decent cross.

I thought McDonald was going to give us the pace upfront that Dargo had but doesn't seemed to be fancied and from what I've seen of him he prefers to sit deep when we need someone to play the line and put their defence on the back foot.  I notice that Morgan got a chance Saturday, maybe this is a sign of things to come..

I think what we have just now is excellent but we do need to think about what happens when the loan players leave so those positions need to be considered. I wonder how one cheers in Romanian :023:

We have had a bad start to the season points wise but bear in mind we've played 4 games away.and also played OF and Hibs (who we maybe should have gotten a point from) The next four are where we will show our metal and our league position after game 11 is where we will deserve to be. I also believe this is the time when we get it over on Aberdire.

I dont think there is any need to panic just yet. It will all come good eventually and i still believe a top 6 place is not beyond us. It will be difficult but it can be done, however ill be happy just to finish 11th after the start we have made this season.

I do agree though the defence needs a bit of addition. And i mean permanent members not loaners.

Midfield seems ok but could do with a natural left winger because there is too much space on the left never being used when we move forwards, either that or change the tactics so the midfielders can run into that space. We have no problem on the right with 2 or 3 chasing for every ball down the wing.

Attack doesnt need changes, apart from maybe letting Rory out on loan somewhere and maybe bringing in a fresh face to challenge him when he returns.

Well whats been established is that we have a squad thats pretty much full (complete with promising young players doing well away on loan), so we should only look at players who are likely to improve our starting 11.

So who are the candidates for being replaced?  Wilson and Brewster are obvious, replacements for them in the first team are already here in Cowie and Nicolae, themselves are regulars with back up.

Hastings isnt young but we will have a good two years left out of him at maximum pace, Munro and Tokely will play for us until about 2043.  We have an obvious gap at the back, which has to be the priority.

We may be a bit heavy in midfield but there is real quality there, Black, Cowie and Rankin are superb players, throw in a fit and eager Morgan and you've got 4 players who together should be as strong as any in Scotland.  McBain and Proc look good enough to cover on either flank (in the middle or at the back) with Markus and Sutherland waiting in the wings.  Then theres Ritchie Hart and Russel Duncan, both decent deputies but the two players I'd be looking to move on.  I rated Keogh as being much better than both of those players (in both Harts offensive and Duncans defensive roles) and he was shown the door, I would put getting in an excellent holding Midfielder as next on the shopping list after a Center Half.  It's probably the most important position on the park for any system, I think we could do better than Russel.  Doesnt necessarily have to be somebody with vast experience either, would like to see us bring in somebody around 21-23 with the same drive and ability as Cowie, whose preferred position is infront of the back 4.

Up front we seem to be a bit messed up just now, no combination of strikers is clicking perfectly with the midfield.  Injury to Rory and Bayne has narrowed down the options there for now, so we may not have our best two forwards out there just yet.  Brewster isnt a 90 minute player and Wyness isnt good enough, its a real shame for the guy me typing this but he can be replaced.

I think Deano will turn out to be a total dud when he gets his chance, as simplistic as it looks written down, he is just too small for us.  Also he was Christies signing, which will further hinder his chances under Brew, the Gills fans didnt rate him and claim he cant run!

Everbodies got an opinion on Nicolae and rightfully so, the guy has to play but who with?  Graham Bayne would be my choice, fights for everything and always alert.  At the moment he is the best finisher we have in the squad (besides Brewster of course) and with runners from midfield supporting them both we would see the best from the partnership, in the form of goals!

To further confuse things up front we still have Rory Mac and Gary Wood, who could well end up as our first choice front two in a couple of seasons time, they could be anything.

In goals you have to wonder if Fraser is the best choice, some have said Zibi should go straight in and why the **** not?  The lad has potential but hes been through a world of sheit this season, which he has to take alot of the blame for.  If we get everything else right then the man between the sticks is individually the least important player on the park.

So yeah... I'd be looking to bring in a Central Defender and a Holding Midfielder, infact somebody giving our current back 2 more protection could even eliminate the immediate need for a new defender.  I've no idea who the new guy would be, I'd hope the football people might, but they should be top of the wish list next summer.

first things first im hoping zander gets back dwn the 196 from elgin as fast as he can. i have a friend that has been to all the elgin games at home his season and have heard othing but good things about zander. secondly i reckon we do need a decent permanent fixture in central defence....... who that is i dont know but someone would be good