FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Duncan

Harry Chibber

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been a few purple patches when he's looked the part, but this season he's been attrocious.

That said, quite a few of our current players have gone through spells when they were the weakest link and bounced back (e.g. Hastings and Fraser) patience has been a virtue for ICT in the past, but Duncan has had long enough to improve his game, and for whatever reason, still fails to perform at an acceptable level on a consistant basis. For that reason he doesn't deserve a pay rise. Is he any better than when we first came up to the SPL? Not really. He may even have gone backwards.

I respect the service he's given to the club, and would love to see him succeed. But realistically he hasn't given any indication that he's going to get any better - and it wouldn't be particularly hard to find a younger player who's able to perform the same role at the same standard for less cash.

By the same argument is it really our business what any of the players choose to want or accept for their job, my question was not really meant to be a prying one, more a better way of understanding the situation, if RD is likely to be offered ?700.00-?900.00 a week on a 3 year deal with bonuses for example I would have thought that was not a bad deal for playing football for a guy of his ability. Just wondered how far out that assumption might be?

Does anyone know what the average weekly wage is at ICT?

Is that really any of our business?

Guest TonyICT

Russell Duncan shouldn't be at caley...he's crap.

is this guy being serous?

he is one of our best player its would be a massive blow if we lost him

he has great shooting ability and can pass very well he also can go past people :022:

In my opinion duncan is superb!!

if duncan goes that means that markus wil play more often and he's crap

I'm sorry TonyICT but are you on drugs?!?  Or is this a wind up??!

Duncan can not: tackle well consistently, shoot well, pass well, go past people! 

You are out of your mind Duncan is one of the worst players at the club.  Also how would Markus take his poistion when he is a winger?(saying thast though he could probably do much better than Duncan in Duncan's position!!)

Guest TonyICT

I'm sorry TonyICT but are you on drugs?!? 

he is a great player there are not many players better than him in the team!

he is in my opinion a very good person to have on the pitch if not on the bench

:014:

I've always said we're a poorer side without Russeldinho and it used to be easy to show that by statistics when he was in or out of the team.

I'm not going to go over it all here again though I must admit I've only seen about 3 games since the New Year, but I always say, get a playercam on him and see how much work he does.

It's up to him if he wants to hold the club to ransom though. I suppose it's also up to him (and his agent) to get the best deal. I think he's on a loser there unless there's somebody in the English Championship wants him (or even League 1).

He's never been one to doubt his own ability, shall we say, but I have no problems with that - inject Denzil with some of Russell's self belief and he'll be a world class player.

Roscoe23 I can tell you're young because you're right all the time. You'll get less right as you get older, trust me  :015: :015: :015: :015:

I think the old heads have this one !!!!

Duncan can tackle, shoot, pass, run at and get by opposition players. This last few months he hasn't.

I've always said we're a poorer side without Russeldinho and it used to be easy to show that by statistics when he was in or out of the team. I'm not going to go over it all here again though I must admit I've only seen about 3 games since the New Year, but I always say, get a playercam on him and see how much work he does.

RD -when on his game - is one of the unsung heroes of the side quietly mopping up stuff and performing the onerous and unglamourous task of a defensive midfielder. Not for him the surging runs of an attacking midfielder or a winger, not for him the half dozen goals from midfield each season, and not from him the last ditch crunching tackles that get defenders noticed and congratulated. Instead, you get a "journeyman" defensive midfielder who on his day can be the glue that holds the side together but on others can be cruelly exposed.

If it were up to me then RD would indeed be offered a contract befitting his status which would be as a regular first team member. Bearing in mind that none of us know what has actually been offered then I would also say that if he is holding out for Niculae style wages then he is living in cloud cuckoo land but if the club are penny pinching and not offering him a similar pay scale to that of other first team regulars then it is they who need to give themselves a good shake.

Guest Muir-Jaggie

i dont see why he trys long shots so much he scores 1 every blue moon and him and mcbain are always passing to the wrong team

i dont see why he trys long shots so much he scores 1 every blue moon and him and mcbain are always passing to the wrong team

If any midfielder sees a quick shot at goal as being the best option at that moment he should try. They all do it. Rankin, Cowie and Wilson have all been successful in that respect, as have Hart and McBain. I give any mid or defender top marks for trying, even if they miss, so long as it was the best option. Rankin is falling out of favour at Hibs because he's trying when there are better options available.

You couldn't be more wrong, if you wanted the ball to fall to anyone outside the box it'd be Duncan. That's one skill that he certainly has in his locker. Which makes it all the harder to understand why he often struggles to execute simple 15 yard passes. :029:

I have to side with those who are left scratching their head at the thought of Duncan demanding anything from ICT.

I dont rate him at all, he is not a solid holding midfielder, his inability to control a pass or not lose the ball costs us goals (nevermind just possession) all the time, most recently v Hibs at Easter Road where his two mistakes lost us a game we otherwise competed well in.  He's outlived Keogh, Rankin, Morgan and probably Hart in holding his position in the first team, athletic and busy he may be but his ability to play football is non-existent. 

I think those who claim hes a cracking holding midfielder and does good ignorable work, really need to watch his play more.  As I say, he is a busy player and looks the part but he is nowhere near the standard required for a position of such importance.  The role he's been asked to play is a critical one for a team like ICT and I believe we're really letting ourselves down by persevering with a lad who cant do the basics.  His role is similar to the one Bayne gets asked to play, that is chasing everything and breaking up the opposition, its fine for Bayne to then try and play it off or misplace a pass, as more often than not he will have less support and will be in a far less dangerous position on the park.  When RD is in control and loses it, we are instantly under pressure, he doesnt have Blacks ability to see the best pass and just sort of hits it in the direction hes facing like a robot :015:

He isnt going to learn any new tricks and apparently thinks alot of himself, so I'd let him finish out this year and start the search for a strong central player for next season right away.  Wouldnt it have been better to still have Mark McCulloch in there for the past few years instead?  Too late for him.  McPake of Livingston can play the role though is untested.  Wasnt McGuire billed as a central midfielder on arrival?    I've no idea, just about anyone is more attractive proposition than Duncan.

Everybody is entitled to their opinoin however, so if youre a fan of his I'm not going to have a go over it and I'd expect not having to explain myself to anybody in return!  Nothing would bore me more than having to repeat myself.

"I've no idea, just about anyone is more attractive proposition than Duncan."

Guy kerr or Dale Gillespie?!  Why not give them a run in the team till the end of the season in his position and if both prove themselves then there is no need to look for someone in that position.

Guy Kerr's a centre half last time I checked (and possibly worth a couple of starts after the split, in place of McGuire IMHO). A bit like Caff  but more comfortable on the ball and I'd like to see how tough he is. Has he been playing any different position in the reserves?

IMHO Duncan has been a loyal servant to the club and has been instrumental in our rapid ascent through the leagues and this fact should not be forgotten. He has overall been a very good first team player and has undoubtedly won us games in the past with his strong defensive play and odd screamer thrown in here an there.

However, all to often this season his good defensive covering and break-up play is immediately followed by a mis-placed pass or loss of possession which is not only highly infuriating for the fans but often counteracts his good work.

If as reported in the press he is making high wage demands then surely he should be making sure that his play on the park merits such a high wage, i would have to say over the last 10 or so games ive seen him play then i would have to say it does not.

i would like to see him stay but not if it causes further unrest with the players over parity in wages and certainly not if it eats into our budget for attracting new players to the club which i believe are needed.

I agree with this balanced judgement Libero.

However, my question is how much going on behind the scenes is agent and not player?

I am sure many reading this post have thought this is not the RD we have known and liked (to varying degrees!) and thought what is going on here, doesn't quite add up to me?

How can a player who has become "unpopular" make demands and expect to get away with it, I think he needs some good advice. 

Or has he simply paid his agent to do an agents job?

However, my question is how much going on behind the scenes is agent and not player?

Or has he simply paid his agent to do an agents job?

good question and i think youve answered it later in your post, there are definitely things behind the scenes that we (as fans) are not party too but i think it would be a fair assumption that RD employs an agent to get the best deal available to him, thats fair enough, its what any sensible footballer does however someone evidently along the line has deemed it necessary to leak it to the media for whatever reason.

IMO it should be between the player and the club but that doesnt always happen in football.

instrumental in our rapid ascent through the leagues

Just one promotion in his 7 seasons with us! But I know what you mean.

:004: just meant he was an integral part of the history of our young team basically