FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Duncan

Harry Chibber

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TinCanFan

To be honest.....these footballers are in for a big shock in a few years when their career has ended and they have to make their way in the REAL world. They lead a charmed life whilst in football and are somewhat disconnected from reality.

Chris Kirkland from Wigan has got the right idea.  He's going to be a fireman when he retires.

I think, with the exception of one or two games, he has been our best player this season. He holds the midfield together and allows Cowie or Tokely/Proctor to get further forward as they know they have cover. I think this is also the reason we have seen the best in Black this season as well.

At the end of the day Russell is thinking of his family and his future. the better deal he can get the better he's going to feel and, maybe, play. None of us know exactly what he's asking for so can't really comment too much. Perhaps, being as he's been with us for almost seven years he just wants a longer contract and testimonial at the end of it. Perhaps it's basic pay, perhaps bonuses. Whatever it is I hope he gets it and shows all that he is an important part of this team.

From the P & J:

CALEY THISTLE TRIO EXPECTED TO SIGN NEW CONTRACTS IN THE NEXT 10 DAYS

08:50 - 06 February 2008

Inverness expect Russell Duncan, Ross Tokely and Dennis Wyness to sign new contracts with the club next week.

The trio have been innegotiations with Caley Thistle for the last three weeks without agreeing new deals at the Caledonian Stadium.

But manager Craig Brewster is hopeful all three will commit themselves to the Highland club after they were offered improved terms to stay beyond the end of the season when their current contracts run out.

Midfielder Duncan hadalready said he would leave Caley Jags unless they offered him a new deal in line with the higher wage earners at the club such as Romanian Marius Niculae.

Tokely and Wyness are also seeking an upgrade to their deals to prevent them agreeing a pre-contract arrangement with other clubs.

Brewster said: "Hopefully, we will tie all three up within the next 10 days. We are just trying to structure things in different ways.

"They want more money and it is about trying to come to an agreement as soon as possible.

"Sometimes it is par for the course when agents get involved that it takes a wee bit longer to talk to players about contracts.

"I hope they sign and I am sure the supporters do as well."

I would like all three to re-sign for the club, and for the club to offer them decent wages. None of them should be under any illusions that they should be in the Niculae bracket for wages but lets hope the club are also not playing silly beggars by making (allegedly) derisory offers that saw us lose players in the past.

We don't need (or have a right) to know the details of the contracts, but lets just hope common sense prevails on both sides and they can be tied up with the minimum of fuss behind closed doors and we can move on.

From Today's P&J........

CALEY THISTLE TRIO CLOSE TO SIGNING

08:50 - 13 February 2008

Caley Thistle manager Craig Brewster is confident the club will agree new contracts with Russell Duncan, Ross Tokely and Dennis Wyness before the end of this week.

The three players have been in protracted talks with the Highland club without committing their futures.

Now a resolution seems imminent and three of the most experienced players at Inverness look likely to remain at the Caledonian Stadium.

Midfielder Duncan had said he would leave if he was not given improved terms, but steady progress has been made in negotiations and the 27-year-old is close to inking a new contract with the club.

Brewster said: "I spoke to Russell Duncan's agent on Monday and I spoke to him again yesterday.

"I also spoke to Ross Tokely yesterday and Graeme Bennett is speaking to Dennis Wyness's agent.

"We want it sorted out as quickly as possible but the days drag on to weeks. From my point of view - and theirs - it would be great to get them tied up by the end of the week, but it takes time."

Three other players at Inverness - Barry Wilson, Markus Paatelainen and Richie Hart - will come to the end of their contracts this summer.

But Brewster says there is time left this term for the three to win new deals.

He said: "Barry, Richie and Markus are all in the same boat.

"Their contracts are up in the summer and they still have three-and-a-half months left to play.

"We will make a judgment on those players towards the end of the season.

"They have to perform well in training every day and, if and when they get their opportunities, they have to show themselves in the first team."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aboynamedsue

Has anyone heard if a bigger club is after Duncans services ?

cos if he's looking for more dosh "The only way is up , baby " :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Just watched the "highlights" of the Hibs game and, while I know you can't judge from a few minutes play, it was Duncan who lost the ball in midfield on both occasions when they scored.  He didn't even bother to chase back for the first one - left that to Marius.

If he's so determined to get away, I say we should bench him for the rest of the season and bring in one of our younger players who does want to play for us.  Why should we continue to showcase his talent (or lack) if we won't benefit from his leaving under Bosman.

Has anyone heard if a bigger club is after Duncans services ?

cos if he's looking for more dosh "The only way is up , baby " :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I think he has options in England, but I'm sure he would rather stay in Inverness where he is settled.  I'm not always sure that agents see more than ? signs when negotiating on behalf of players.

I had something pointed out to me tonight that I must admit had slipped my attention.

Duncan was banging on in the press about how he was coming to the end of a long contract with the club and therefore his wages weren't in sync with many of the other players at ICT.  I had thought that this was correct and he was approaching the end of a 4 year deal, but I was told tonight that he had a revised contract in April 2006.

Have just checked and that is the case.  His contract was due to expire last year but in 2006 he signed a new 2 year deal which took him up to this summer.  So that being the case, I don't think he can be so far behind the other players in terms of what he is getting in his wage packet as what we might have been led to believe.

What about this quote from Brewster then?

He told the Press & Journal: "I take quite a hands-on role in the contract talks and everyone wants to get the best deals for themselves.

"They are realistic, as are we and I would like to give them everything they want, but this club has always had a similar structure between players when it comes to contracts.

"Marius Niculae coming in last year broke the structure slightly, but the chairman picks up most of his salary and there is still parity between the rest of the players."

What about this quote from Brewster then?

"Marius Niculae coming in last year broke the structure slightly, but the chairman picks up most of his salary and there is still parity between the rest of the players."

Broke the structure slightly..  :symbol_question:

Shame the chairman can't give the rest of the guys a bit more... you never know - he might get a bit more out of them in return.

Duncan doesn't deserve a new contract,  never mind holding us to ransom about it.  Absolutley terrible again yesterday,  I really don't like having a go at players but he has been awful for months now.  He's a central midfielder and struggles to play balls 10 yards.

He does the dirty unnoticed things???  Everyone in the team does that,  even Marius and Dennis were chasing back into their own half yesterday.  Duncan is no big loss,  if he leaves he won't even be in the SPL next season,  I couldn't possibly think who'd want the guy!!

Maybe he could go back to Forfar!

You are entitled to your opinion Sir C, however Duncan has been one of our best players all season (only behind Cowie out of the midfielders).

Yesterday he was far better than Black, who for some reason seems to get plaudits for the mediocre performances he has given in most games this season (whilst at the same time bragging to anyone who can listen that he is going to win a 'big' move to Hibs). At least Russell does not take a hissy fit every time somethings happens which he does not like. He is entitled to seek the highest wage he can (like all employees), however I agree with the club holding to its wage structure.

He does no do a glamorous taks in the holding role, and I agree that his passing could be better sometimes, however we will be the poorer for him moving on in terms of our current players and we will need to replace him with someone who can read the game (in a defensive midfield sense) as well as he can.

You are entitled to your opinion Sir C, however Duncan has been one of our best players all season (only behind Cowie out of the midfielders).

Yesterday he was far better than Black, who for some reason seems to get plaudits for the mediocre performances he has given in most games this season (whilst at the same time bragging to anyone who can listen that he is going to win a 'big' move to Hibs). At least Russell does not take a hissy fit every time somethings happens which he does not like. He is entitled to seek the highest wage he can (like all employees), however I agree with the club holding to its wage structure.

He does no do a glamorous taks in the holding role, and I agree that his passing could be better sometimes, however we will be the poorer for him moving on in terms of our current players and we will need to replace him with someone who can read the game (in a defensive midfield sense) as well as he can.

1) That's highly debatable indeed. Our best player this season has easily been Cowie and I would agree with you regarding that but I really don't think Duncan has been the 2nd best. I would say perhaps Fraser. But that's overall. Even in terms of midfielders I would actually put Rankin ahead of him despite him not even being at ICT any more.

2) I don't think a single ICT player was "far better than anyone" especially in the example you give.

3)  :015: Aye you're quite right. Thank God Duncan never backchats with refs and collects bookings for dissent and has to be hauled away by team mates!

4)  :015: His reading of the game isn't that good with yesterdays hilariously late lunge at Nade exemplifying this. Would have been hysterical if he had made contact. Nade would have landed in the Moray Firth.

I would say Duncan does very well in terms of winning ball. If he could hold it and pass it to one of his own he'd be brilliant. At times he's just too laid back and at other times he panics in possession. Some of the problem is not of Russell's own making though. Players are not always keen to run into space and receive.

Whether or not Russell would get a better dea,l than he's been offered, elsewhere remains to be seen. Perhaps he would shine at a team like Falkirk or Hibs both of whom play a passing game for ninety minutes no matter whether they are up or down. Ours is a pass panic punt game and, to be fair, it must be difficult to decide when to pass, panic or punt.

Tree your also entitled to your opinion, but one of our best players??  :024:  He's not even 1 of our best midfield players.  He seems to have this defence of he's a great reader and defensive player??? Is he???    I fail to see what he contributes,  I've never heard anyone around me at games saying "great tackle or interception by duncan" or "nice pass by Duncan".    In my opinion he slows everything down,  plays the ball back when theres no need to and at least once a game he creates a chance for the other team with a wayward pass.    The ludicrous lunge into Nade yesterday was laughable when he easily could have stayed on his feet and booted it out for a corner!

Give Vigurs a chance,  he's going to do no worse than whats on show already.

I would agree that Vigurs is worth a game at some point. When I have seen him he has always impressed and seems to have a bit of added quality when in possession.

I still think that without Duncan we will be the poorer.