FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Duncan

Harry Chibber

IMHO Duncan has been a loyal servant to the club

Like Golly & Caff you mean ? or like Mann, Teasdale, Bagan or others who were discarded by the club (and, it has to be said - by the fans too) at one point or another.

I have to side with those who are left scratching their head

And therein lies the problem ... Those who rate him are scratching their heads at why he can blow hot and cold, and those who dont rate him are scratching their heads at why others are bothered !

As I said above - I would indeed re-sign him if he is prepared to accept a decent offer in line with what other first team players get (assuming the club have actually made such an offer) but not if his (or his agent's) demands are that he be put on a par with Niculae as he doesnt warrant that.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO Duncan has been a loyal servant to the club

Like Golly & Caff you mean ? or like Mann, Teasdale, Bagan or others who were discarded by the club (and, it has to be said - by the fans too) at one point or another.

I have to side with those who are left scratching their head

And therein lies the problem ... Those who rate him are scratching their heads at why he can blow hot and cold, and those who dont rate him are scratching their heads at why others are bothered !

As I said above - I would indeed re-sign him if he is prepared to accept a decent offer in line with what other first team players get (assuming the club have actually made such an offer) but not if his (or his agent's) demands are that he be put on a par with Niculae as he doesnt warrant that.

with regards to your first point, golly and caff were loyal servants but became somewhat dispensable (dont like using that word but cant think of another) as we had cover in their positions. I for one was sad to see Caff and Golly go as they were/are players capable of playing in the SPL but i can understand their desire to play regular football. Unfortunately sentiment has little place in football today and as much as i dislike the fact, money talks and that often means loyal, genuine, decent footballers like caff and golly are as you said 'discarded'. Duncan has one factor on his side, that neither Caff nor Golly had - the fact that there is no real direct comptetition for the holding role, Blackie can play it but i feel he is of more use in an attacking role.

second point - couldnt agree more.

The testimonial is a big thing and obviously you hope to make as much money as you can from that and that has added into potentially staying, but it?s a long time away and Stuart Golabek was in line for a testimonial and he left a year before he was to get his, so these things sort of happen

This quote has got me rather annoyed...

He is not thinking about the club at all, but about his own financial gain. Joe Bloggs even has to take a pay cut or change job from time to time to get the best they can in terms of job satisfaction, being with their family AND personal goals.

The club have offered him security in terms of an improved wage over a 3 and a half year deal - 1 and half years more than wyness (or so the P&J said today) and I find that alone baffling. Added to that, most players these days use funds raised from their testimonials to donate to charities or worth causes, or indeed as a way to generate funds back into their club.

His agent cannot be helping matters - one person that football could do without!!! (agents i mean)

Jnr, I think you are right about his agent.  They are obviously keen to fill their own pockets out of any deal.

Testimonial money is for the player, I always thought like a bit of a thank you from the club/fans for their service.  With the way players move about they will become a think of the past shortly.  I'm sure some of the really big testimonials might give money to a charity or to their club, but it is for the benefit of the player.

I don't have a problem with him trying to make as much money as he can from his remaining years as a professional footballer. He's behaving as any sensible person would in the same situation. Realistically he isn't going anywhere unless he gets a significantly better offer from somewhere else, which he won't.

But for the time being he's playing a game of brinkmanship, feigning a position of strength, hinting at moving to a bigger club etc. It's all part of the negotiating game. What would annoy me would be if the powers that be caved in to him, and ended up paying over the odds for his services. It wouldn't be Duncans fault, it'd be the clubs fault, and it'd set a terrible precedent for future contract negotiations. This would be the worst possible outcome.

Its the old cliche but football is a short career for most players ... not all of them can make it into coaching, become managers or TV/Radio pundits and I have no issue with any player trying to get the best possible deal for themselves and their family that might make it a little easier when they have to revert to the "real" world, get a normal job and all that. We would all do the same in their position.

I can see where Duncan is coming from with regards to the testimonial ... what good is it as a sweetener if the club are going to move the goalposts somewhere along the line and he has quoted a prime example of that happening not just to any old player but to a player who was the club captain at the time ....

I said it before and I will say it again ..... we do not know the details of what he was offered but I would indeed re-sign him if he is prepared to accept a decent offer in line with what other first team players get (assuming the club have actually made such an offer) but not if his (or his agent's) demands are that he be put on a par with Niculae as he doesnt warrant that.

As for agents - the only polite thing I can say is "not a big fan of them"  :023:

Typical brilliant post from a brilliant brain.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

IHE, I expect more of you, one of the most analytical and astute posters on here.

You could have got the point across that Blackieforce's post was both misinformed and ill judged.

"Bollick brain" gets nobody anywhere.

"To get back on topic, I see that today's P&J is reporting that Brewster has now given Russell until the end of the week to agree his new contract or it will be withdrawn. Probably fair enough given that he has to plan for next season."

Well done Brewster and lets hope he doesn't sign a new deal!