FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Duncan Shearer

Kingsmills

It appears that our erstwhile assistant manager has been sacked by Buckie Thistle following their defeat on Saturday at the hands of Cove Rangers which effectively ends their challenge for this season's Highland League title.

That may seem a bit harsh given that Buckie are still second and have won two trophies already this season.

However, Shearer was, by some distance, the highest paid manager in the Highland League and had a considerable player budget by that league's standards.Expectations were, as a consequence, very high and he clearly failed to meet them.

Think I saw somewhere that he was on ?600 a week....yet he was still working as a parcel delivery man!!!

Have to say that I find very little room for sympathy in regards to Shearer following the comments he made on the eve of his departure from ICT.

BUCKIE THISTLE PART WITH DUNCAN SHEARER 

Buckie Thistle have parted company with Manager Duncan Shearer.

Club President Mark Duncan today said "we had a Board meeting on Sunday afternoon and after a lengthy discussion it was decided that the Management Team had taken us as far as they could and that a change was needed.

The club would like to thank both Duncan Shearer and Graeme McBeath for their contribution to the club, they have both been first class to deal with.

Graham has agreed to take charge of the team for Saturdays away match at Fraserburgh and again we would like to thank him for this.

On a personal level I find it very disappointing as I have enjoyed working with Duncan, we had a great working relationship.  But these things happen in football.

Although there is no rush to appoint a new Manager a few names came up at our meeting and although we will be making inquiries of one or two it will be interesting to see who applies.

The club has made massive progress in the last six years both on and off the pitch and there is no doubt that the Managers job at Buckie is one of the best in the Highland League."

Duncan Shearer said (comments courtesy of http://www.highlandleague.net/) "I was as shocked to be given the news as the players were when I phoned to let them know.  It all happened so quickly, obviously a meeting this morning was called and I have been told they want a different brand of football.  These people pay the wages at the club and that is their prerogative.  It is strange to think what we may be looking forward to if we won yesterday's game, and I wonder whether my future hinged on that single result.

I cannot complain because I was backed to the hilt in this bid for success.  Two trophies in the cabinet, a Scottish Cup run and half a chance of winning the League.  I have to say it is by and by now.

Without question I cannot but pay huge tribute to Mark Duncan, he is the one I had a great relationship with, we worked well together.  He was sad to have to do this but that is football.  I was through it all with Aberdeen in 2004 when it hurt really badly, but at Buckie, all I can say is I gave it my best shot.

I pray they will achieve that elusive league success, there are very good people at that club, great supporters and I hope they do it.  I wish them well."

P  W  D  L

Buckie Thistle FC    27  17  6  4

2 Trophies and 2nd in league and thats how the guys are treated. Thats near as bad as RC sacking Campbell for not winning attractively

Have to say that I find very little room for sympathy in regards to Shearer following the comments he made on the eve of his departure from ICT.

Can you remind me of what he sed? I have the memory of a sieve these days

I forget the exact words, but he basically belittled ICT and was going on about how it was great to be going to a big club blah blah blah....he broke the story that they (he and Paterson) were off before any official announcement had been made, and only days after they had supposedly penned new contracts with us and had been going on about how committed they were to ICT.

The whole TV interview with him that night stank of arrogance and I find it rather amusing that he's lurched from one shafting to another since he left us.....what goes around comes around, as they say.

Certainly comes across as a decent guy when speaking to him, met him one night last season on a train heading out of Inverness to the east when Buckie had just come back from Wick/Brora/Fort William or somewhere like that and I'd just come up the road from an away game, he saw the matchday programme that i was carrying, realising it was from ICT's away game and took time out to ask about the game how caley had gone on and if they played well stuff like that, certainly did'nt give the impression of having no time for ICT or arrogance towards the club.  :003:

Sorry to see the guy has been axed from Buckie, makes ya wonder how they can sack a manager who's doing so well at highland league level winning trophey's and being 2nd in the league, yet we had to put up with that long winless run at SPL level under Brewster.

I met him a few times when he was assistant manager and stayed up Castle Heather way, he always took the time to say hello and have a wee chat about the previous/upcoming game.  Seemed like a thoroughly decent guy.

He is but one or two of the ICT Family see him as a threat! :004: