Is Nessie Real?

Guest TinCanFan

Do you believe in Nessie?  

42 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

It is known that in places the loch is over 700 feet deep. It is also known that the underwater terrain is full of caverns crevices and gorges. The same is known for Loch Morar, another loch with a mystery. It is possible that these lochs are linked but the depths and terrain is such that its pretty much impossible to investigate this. Could this be some sort of sea creature that enters Loch Morar and moves through the tunnels to Loch Ness. The river Morar is approx 100 yards long and at times of spring tides it is feasible that entry to the loch could be made. The phenomenon will always be a mystery and their will always be arguements for and against...............even after that dinosaur Charlie Bannerman has popped his clogs.

I believe....to many people,  local or tourist, friend or stranger have claimed to see something in the Loch.  Hope one day I will be lucky enough to see something myself.

Connie.Orr you are truly blessed.  It is probably an event that you will remember for the rest of your life.  I agree my first reaction would probably be dumbstruck awe, not where's my camera. 

Charles.  Billions of people across the globe belive in a god.  Based on events passed down in a series of books that where written hundreds of years after the events that they describe.  W hat's wrong with believing in a piece of local folk lore that has been passed down through the generations,  and people friends,  local & tourist alike still claim to see.

:fishing::crazy04: :crazy04: :crazy04:

Perhaps those billions who believe in a deity are even more misguided than those who believe that there is some prehistoric creature residing in a relatively small stretch of inland waterway in the Scottish Highlands. At least there is some evidence for the existance of Nessie even if many folk don't find it particularly convincing

Too true Viva, we were verrrrry lucky. 

My Dad, who was a Grant, had family generations back who lived in the area and he'd been told that no-one went out at night in case the beastie got them (this was 100 years ago kinda thing).  Apparently, there were trail marks on the loch-side and bushes & shrubs were flattened where they believed the beastie came ashore.....or maybe that was just a scary story!    :crazy07:

Guest harrysmithno.7

We were touring the Highlands with Canadian friends and on the way to the Sneck from Skye we visited the Loch side. Our Canadian friends had been having a good laugh all the way to the Loch  saying how quaint, foolish, etc. etc.  it was to believe in a Monster. At the same time  firmly stating that they were non- believers in all of these types of things.

When we got to the Loch side there was a very heavy and eerie atmosphere with a thunderstorm brewing in the distance ( the type of atmosphere that makes the hair on your head bristle ! ).  They were pretty impressed.  We all decided to get out of the vehicle and climb down to the waterside for a better view -  a good five minute scramble down through the heather.  Before we set off for the waterside I told them they would have to undergo the ultimate Nessie non-believers test.  A test I said I was sure they would fail. 

They asked me what that test was and I told them that they all had to leave all manner of cameras and video recorders behind in the people-mover and we would all go to the Loch side together without any means of recording any visual contact with anything.  They all looked at me in a very troubled way ( none of them laughing now ).  I said if they were true non believers they would have no problem leaving these things behind.  They all protested saying they were not going to risk not having  their cameras and recorders with them just in case something did appear.

Suffice to say -  they all failed the test and were curiously silent in the future whenever Nessie was mentioned.

Apparently, there were trail marks on the loch-side and bushes & shrubs were flattened where they believed the beastie came ashore.....

What an ingenious creature this is, apparently leaving behind so many tantalisingly ambiguous and indirect signs of its existence but with never a single verifiable direct sighting!  :015:

Likewise Brewster, absolutely no evidence to prove that he knows how to manage a football team yet you've got your tongue stuck halfway up where the sun doesn't shine in your eagerness to back him.

Strange isn't it?  :015:

I like to think about the argument from a whole different angle......What is Nessie?....or more specifically, What is "a" Nessie?

Loch Ness is not the only Loch in the world to have stories, witness sightings, photographs and videos all claiming the presence of an unexplained inhabitant, it's not even the only Loch in Scotland to hold the honour.  Given the number of strange and wonderful findings being made in Lochs all over the world on a regular basis I often wonder what drives someone to categorically deny the existence of a Nessie, or to even acknowledge the possibility.

So...What is a "Nessie"? - For me personally I have a romantic tendency towards it being a large (prehistoric type) marine creature....possibly a plesiosaur or close relative.....there's certainly plenty of evidence to suggest they existed in the area.  However, there's nothing to say that it couldn't be something else, or indeed a variety of unexplained things which have gained the collective name of Nessie in much the same way as unexplained lights and objects in the sky have gained the collective name of UFOs......just because we don't know what they are or can't explain them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Over 3000 independent sightings of a Nessie are held on record, which is far from the claims of some that if people are seeing something why aren't they reporting it, and those are only the reports which are made through officially recognised channels.....something which many people either won't bother with or probably don't even know about.

Guest TinCanFan

My attitude is that there must be stuff in the world that we don't know anything about.  Just look at when scientists go deeper and deeper in to the sea.  The deeper they go, the more they discover.  Maybe it's the same with Nessie.  But if it does exist, what is it?  I reckon it could well be a giant eel.