FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Not at the game today

DALNEIGHCALEY

just been reading Tim Lovejoy's book on football, and it says that regardless of if you go to all home and away games, or even if you only watch the vidiprinter on setanta/sky/itv etc then you are still a supporter.

As I have in the past travelled from coventry to see us loose, and sometimes have games postponed, then moved north to follow my team, does that make me any bigger or better a supporter than those who sit at home or cannot afford away days? No it doesn't.

I say fair play to those who prioritise away from football matches (lack of finance, family commitments blah blah blah). Yeah it's nice to get a good travelling support, and I will continue to do my upmost to get more bums on seats at the TCS, but do we really need to slag off those who can't make it?

on the other hand, if clubs made it easier for those travelling some distance (such as reduced ticketing) then it may appeal to more of those on a tighter budget.

just been reading Tim Lovejoy's book on football, and it says that regardless of if you go to all home and away games, or even if you only watch the vidiprinter on setanta/sky/itv etc then you are still a supporter.

As I have in the past travelled from coventry to see us loose, and sometimes have games postponed, then moved north to follow my team, does that make me any bigger or better a supporter than those who sit at home or cannot afford away days? No it doesn't.

I say fair play to those who prioritise away from football matches (lack of finance, family commitments blah blah blah). Yeah it's nice to get a good travelling support, and I will continue to do my upmost to get more bums on seats at the TCS, but do we really need to slag off those who can't make it?

on the other hand, if clubs made it easier for those travelling some distance (such as reduced ticketing) then it may appeal to more of those on a tighter budget.

There's always someone who gets too serious over a bit of good hearted friendly banter :rotflmao:

Marraige taken away your sense of humour Rob??

Indeed, myself and Brew Army (along with 2 close Utd fans of ours) intended to head to the game today.

Train was due out of Inverness 1044. The queue system at the ticket office was dire and the staff less than helpful when the delay was realised.

the train was due from Glasgow (1132) then turn about to Edinburgh @ 1150 (the idea to change at perth and get to the stadium close to kick-off).

No update announcements, no details on the departure boards and the man in the ticket office said he 'wasn't bothered'.

We even tried to get onto the Aberdeen service for a connection, but the guard told us to ask in the ticket office for permission... strange as she would have been in charge of this service?

Another long wait in the queue meant we missed that one too - then the news of our cancellation.

What a farce it all turned out to be!!! The earliest we could then make dundee was 1615 on the bus... shocking service and we were even messed about for any refunds...

I suppose I could have walked it, but the lack of corned beef sarnies and no maps to hand made this near on impossible. lol

Next time why dont you go on supporters club bus and im quite sure you wont be disappointed .COSY COMFORTABLE AND CHEAP and pretty good craic too .BUT no alchohol on bus so which is more important seeing your team or having a drink . You do get a pub and pee stop in Perth .Look forward to seeing you all .

Firstly, I personally didnt know until late of friday night /early sat morn that I was going to the game.

Secondly, we were travelling with 2 utd fans, and I doubt that would be accepted on an ICT supporters bus.

(Had I planned the football match with just my ICT friends then I may well have got on a supporters bus, as I have done a few times in the past. As my working rota is only a couple of weeks ahead, and I cant guarentee weekends off, it seems pointless to take up seats on said bus if I cant make it.)

And finally, it's Cheap/Free for myself on the trains as I have a family concessions pass. Hence one of the reasons I made so many games when I was youngster travelling from Coventry every other week(ish)

Rant Over.

Actually, one more thing, where does it say I intended to drink alcohol therefore being my reason for taking the train and not the bus? :rotflmao:

Firstly, I personally didnt know until late of friday night /early sat morn that I was going to the game.

Secondly, we were travelling with 2 utd fans, and I doubt that would be accepted on an ICT supporters bus.

(Had I planned the football match with just my ICT friends then I may well have got on a supporters bus, as I have done a few times in the past. As my working rota is only a couple of weeks ahead, and I cant guarentee weekends off, it seems pointless to take up seats on said bus if I cant make it.)

And finally, it's Cheap/Free for myself on the trains as I have a family concessions pass. Hence one of the reasons I made so many games when I was youngster travelling from Coventry every other week(ish)

Rant Over.

Actually, one more thing, where does it say I intended to drink alcohol therefore being my reason for taking the train and not the bus? :rotflmao:

I was not meaning to imply that you would be wanting a drink and I am very sorry if that is the way it came across .I was talking very generally please accept my apologies .

Och, I dont tend to hold a grudge. Apology accepted.

I like threads like this as you get to hear loads of different reasons for people not heading to games each week. Plus a bit of banta and the odd rant make for a more interesting forum. LoL.

Is there a section on this site/official site for booking onto support busses? And does the bus allow for 'opposition' fans to tag along (doubt it, but worth asking)

Och, I dont tend to hold a grudge. Apology accepted.

I like threads like this as you get to hear loads of different reasons for people not heading to games each week. Plus a bit of banta and the odd rant make for a more interesting forum. LoL.

Is there a section on this site/official site for booking onto support busses? And does the bus allow for 'opposition' fans to tag along (doubt it, but worth asking)

There is no facility on the site for booking the official supporters busses. This has to be done through the Travel Line No. 227458.

I don't see why "opposition" fans can't travel on the supporters busses, as long as they adhere to the Code of Conduct and do not wear their colours while travelling.