FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hibernian -V- ICT : matchday thread

Scotty

I don't think anyone has forgotten last weeks match and the question still remains as to how/why we can produce the mince we did last week and then turn up today as if it was a totally different 11 men on the park.

Some will claim it was thanks to Brewster, some will continue to deny just how bad it was last week and put it down to the fact we were playing an on form Rangers team, some will credit the players for having an improved attitude on the park.

The fact of the matter is that we went out there today with much the same formation as we did last week and it worked against the team we were facing. Brewster either got lucky, or it was a master stroke to stick with what hadn't been working for the previous 5 games because he knew it would work today....time will tell.

Sitting back and hitting on the break may work on the road, but it's not going to bring much at TCS (as we have witnessed so far this season). Brewster has to show he has the where with all to look beyond his "One tactic fits all" approach to the SPL and demonstrate that he has what it takes to make the necessary changes to formation and tactics to get results at home.

I'm delighted we got the win today, and I'm delighted the players seemed to be playing with some heart for the first time in long enough. However, it's far from proof that Brewster should be forgiven for the crap we've been served up for the last year.

It doesn't take much to get a team fired up when your coming off the back of result like last week, so I have my doubts about just how much of a hand Brewster had in the extra fight the players showed today and how much of it was down to nothing more than them trying to regain a bit of personal pride!!!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't take much to get a team fired up when your coming off the back of result like last week, so I have my doubts about just how much of a hand Brewster had in the extra fight the players showed today and how much of it was down to nothing more than them trying to regain a bit of personal pride!!!

Spot on. I went along hoping that would happen today. However if Hibs had scored first I was ready to suffer another drubbing.

Have to report we played the ball on the deck :thumb04: Also at 2-0 up you do see the confidence spread right through the side. With 5 mins to go we were showboating up near the corner of the pitch and there was nothing Hibs could do about it. I'll swear even Garry Wood's touch improved after we went 2 up :rotflmao:

Sitting back and hitting on the break may work on the road, but it's not going to bring much at TCS (as we have witnessed so far this season). Brewster has to show he has the where with all to look beyond his "One tactic fits all" approach to the SPL and demonstrate that he has what it takes to make the necessary changes to formation and tactics to get results at home

while delighted with the result there is something telling me that there are a few rollercoasters to get on this season and while not quite sure which way they will go, but here lets enjoy a great 3 points when they come our way

Just back from the game . Great effort all round . Tactics spot on, Thought Woods worth a mention though ,held the ball up well for the fast breaking Imrie and Black. Essons distribution was quick and desisive and led to good breaks being created. Most of all though a great team effort.

I think Easson will be an absolutely key figure now for home games, in that he looks to get quick ball released. which we just have not had in either Mark Brown or Mikey.

May give us the missing dimension at home that we are lacking and possibly change the whole dynamic.

(sounds like a science lesson?)

We were awesome :rotflmao:

Terrific preformance, and not a single long ball. Midfield was terrific, Hibs couldn't get a look in. Not a fan of Wood, but he ran his socks off and gave Jones a hell of a time. Esson's save was brilliant, but in all honesty, he didn't have much else to do.

Think Rosscoe deserves a mention, he gets slated on here when he turns in a bad preformance, but he was excellent today (one odd moment involving a throw in aside).

Vigurs just oozes class, and combined with Black's bite and Duncan's positional awareness, that is our ideal central midfield. Cowie and Imrie put in a terrific shift, bit more composure late on and Imrie could have got on the scoresheet.

One little grumble, but surely left foot left wing, right foot right wing? Could actually see the effectiveness when we were on the break, with those two able to cut inside and out and switch sides at will, but surely when the ball is in "open play" if you like, and Black pings it wide, it would make more sense for Cowie and Imrie to be able to stick in a half decent cross.

I think Easson will be an absolutely key figure now for home games, in that he looks to get quick ball released. which we just have not had in either Mark Brown or Mikey.

May give us the missing dimension at home that we are lacking and possibly change the whole dynamic.

(sounds like a science lesson?)

Sounds great and glad he had a good game but not convinced he is the answer to all our problems

No disaster going to Easter road and beating the Hibees. By all accounts we were worth our three points and Hibs goal was merely a consolation with practically the last kick of the ball. Good day all round for us.

maybe am thinking of games at home then :rotflmao:

At Home we are good v Hibs normally. We have had some victories at ER but we tend to be defeated there. Last season we were beaten in the League and Cup there.

We did play a few long balls yesterday - the difference was that Wood was winning them. He was a real handful for Hogg yesterday, and while he didn't have a shot on goal for the whole game, his physical presence and running was a big factor in providing the space for the wide players to exploit.

The midfield was immense yesterday. In Blackie and Vigurs we have two dynamic, composed ball-players who aren't afraid to get stuck in either. Russell gave his usual in-your-face away performance and Cowie and Imrie got up and down the flanks, bursting forward when we had the ball and playing disciplined defensive roles when we didn't. We should play this midfield every week although they probably won't face up to more lightweight opposing players for the rest of the season - Shiels and Yantorno were awful.

Another great ICT away day and i have to say i didn't think we had it in us.

Edited by Caley Stan

i think esson and vigurs were both excellent yesterday, well worth additions to the side, both contributed a lot of vision in passing and reading the game. i've been impressed with vigurs substitute appearances, but this is the first time i have seen him start, and he should be kept in the side. his tackles are as hard as blackies as well, which is nice

hibs were good in the first 20 minutes, but their confidence seemed to peter out, and i think our good performance can also be attributed to a poor performance by hibs

thats not to take away credit that our players deserved for a confident passing display that'll keep me happy for the rest of the week.

We do have a resonable record against Hibs normally if i recall. think its now 9 of our 13 pts have been taken on the road

Pretty sure that up until yesterday, we had not scored in 4 consecutive games at ER.

maybe am thinking of games at home then :rotflmao:

Yup, Hibs have never beaten us up here, and have only ever scored 1 competitive goal.

maybe am thinking of games at home then :thumb04:

At Home we are good v Hibs normally. We have had some victories at ER but we tend to be defeated there. Last season we were beaten in the League and Cup there.

http://stats.caleythistleonline.com/opponent.php?opp=5