FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Bad to the bone

tm4tj

Brilliant, but don't just take my word for it.....read on, and my pics are in the photo gallery

CLICKY Bad to the Bone pics here CLICKY

The band took to the stage with a thundering rendition of ‘Be Bop Grandma’ to rapturous applause and a sudden surge forward from the crowd. What took me by surprise was a guy trying to body surf the crowd - a miscreant from Lollapalooza perhaps? Otherwise the sea of bald heads and Led Zeppelin T-shirts had gone back 30 years to days of old and no-one was going to stop them enjoying the night.

The Destroyer’s untameable style showed through with the grinding riffs and demonic sax taking centre stage - if the ageing rockers had difficulty looking the part (comfy beating cool in the dress stakes) they certainly sounded the part. The crowd loved it and were all dancing wherever they could. There is something about rock and roll with a touch of blues that never fails to appeal.

As was expected, many classics such as ‘Madison Blues’, ‘Who Do You Love’, ‘Night Time’, ‘One Bourbon, One Scotch And One Beer’ and ‘I Drink Alone’ gave the crowd ultimately what they were looking for but it was subtly mixed with some new tracks from the ‘Ride ‘Til I Die’ album, which shows they are yet to fade away into obscurity, but are by no means flogging a dead horse.

For someone who is quoted as saying his guitar playing is mediocre, George Thorogood made an amazing five guitar changes throughout the night, all of which seemed to belt out the same George Thorogood wailing sound. But that is what everyone wanted.

Now pushing 60, Thorogood still appeals to a wide audience, especially those who have grown up with him and his music whilst his claims of being a dirty man still did the trick with the ladies - although in some other situations he may well have had to sign the register. The only down side to my evening was their decision not to play their cover of Hound Dog Taylor’s ‘The Sky is Crying’ - although they suggest on their play list that they did! However, on the night’s display I will almost certainly return the next time they are back to see if they do. Ending the toe tapping night on ‘Rocking My Life Away’ seemed very apt for a band now in their third decade together and still with the original line up!

It is true that their glory days are probably past them but any band that can enjoy what they do so much whilst whipping up a crowd of over 40’s into a frenzy never seen before except at perhaps the launch of Radio 4 are well worth the watch. Their music style and stage presence scream that if you can have fun and enjoy playing your music, you’re going to go far. I fear George Thorogood and The Destroyers will be limited only by themselves in years to come but will indeed ‘Ride ‘Til They Die’.

words: Dave Harris (eyeball kid.com)

I have BTTB on vinyl... mid 80s I would guess.

'Long Gone' is still one of my favourite GT tracks and a surefire winner to get the crinkles onto the dance floor.  :-

• 1 month later...