FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Stadium Announcer

Guest WynessLegend

Guest WynessLegend

I'm sure he's a lovely lad .............................

but the Stadium Announcer has the most irritating voice imaginable

(with every sentence rising to peak in a high pitched squeak)

and his banter is deplorable.

Don't give me the usual nonsense about good announcers being hard to find -

I'm sure there's even a few on here who could do a decent turn.

We need a bit of humour - and someone who can raise the mood of the crowd.

So, what can be done about this?

Should the Club be encouraged to invite supporters to be

"Announcer for the Day"

with the Supporters then voting for one or two who could be kept on?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Announcer for the Day"

That's an interesting song, how does the tune go?

aye the song worked well yesterday, the stadium announcer did a good job as well, although i am sure it is a sript that he is given, and not his own personal choice to count down from 10 to 1 around 25 times when no-one else could be arsed.

good to have a local man on the tannoys anyway.

"Announcer for the Day"

I completely agree with that. I had no idea what he was saying. I couldnt tell who was coming on when the subs were being made.

If he didnt shout it would probably be better and I think his choice of music is shocking

not another ant-announcer topic.

Last one resulted in CaleyD getting the job.

This should be closed before RiG volunters :rotflmao:

My voice is far from being "high pitched", which is just as well because through the Main Stand speakers then it would be totally inaudible all the time if it was.

Yesterday was more scripted than normal....but that was down to the CIS who issue a script that's used at all their Cup Games.

I do have a tendency to "shout" into the mic on ICT Goal Announcements (I make no apology at getting excited when my team score) or when announcing the team onto the pitch to try and get the crowd (and team) a little gee'd up.....and when I do that then it does push the speakers beyond what they are able to cope with in the Main Stand. It has been noted and I will keep the mic volume down a touch in future to compensate.

The HT Challenge and the counting down I would like to have done differently, but again this was something that was dropped on us a bit last minute and we didn't have time to arrange it any other way....also, if the crowd HAD perhaps shown a bit more interest and got behind the young lads more then I wouldn't have needed to do all the countdowns over the mic (a few did and I thank you).

As the Stadium Announcer, I am only one piece in a much larger jigsaw. It is a little frustrating when attempts to lift the crowd are met with an almost solid wall of silence. The Crowd have to play their part and we can feed off each other. Small things like giving the players names a good cheer when the team lines are being read out and not continuing the clapping and cheering when the team come onto the pitch after the song has finished and they're preparing to kick off all help....when I hear these things, and when the team hear these things then we know our efforts aren't being wasted.

Not everyone is guilty of it, and I know I'll have people respond to this with "I do it" and the "I don't do it because I get funny looks"....well to feck with those giving you "looks" for making a little noise, if you ignore them then others will eventually start to join in and who knows, the "lookers" might take the attitude that if they can't beat you then they may as well join you.

I'll do my bit from my end, I'll listen to whatever feedback/critique people want to give and try to improve/change things where I can.....but we really do need to get rid of this attitude that the club/team are there to hand everything to the fans on a plate and EVERYONE has to do their bit, no matter how big or small the task is.

As the song at the start of the game said....."Let's Work Together"

I see some clubs's announcer actually annouces the teams on. For example just when the teams are coming out, for example you could go:

"And here now is the team from Dundee, Dundee FC, and the men in red and blue, the greatest team in the Highlands.............Caley Thistle!"

It could be a good way of getting the crowd going when the two sides come out. Ever thought about doing something like that?

I am in the middle of the main stand and cannot make out what he is saying. He either needs to speak more clearly or upgrade/reconfigure the PA system.

Upgrading the PA system isn't a realistic option right now as the cost is prohibitive...it would be somewhere in the region of ?30,000 to ?40,000 to change it I believe. Unless some kind person comes along with an offer to do it for free or very cheaply then we just have to make the best of what's there for now.

I'm also constantly fine tuning levels and a couple of seasons back they did have someone come in and look at speaker positions/directions so they were set up as best they could be. I'm hoping those who were at the game last week will have seen a marked improvement between then and yesterday (it was truly awful last week).

The lack of clarity with the existing PA system doesn't do you any favours, CD...

You mentioned a figure of 35k somewhere as an estimate for improving or upgrading it.

I'm quite sure it could be done for a helluva lot less than that...

Like most branches of electronics, PA systems have advanced signigficantly in recent years, but have not necessarily increased in price.

When was the present system installed?

I am in the middle of the main stand and cannot make out what he is saying. He either needs to speak more clearly or upgrade/reconfigure the PA system.

Upgrading the PA system isn't a realistic option right now as the cost is prohibitive...it would be somewhere in the region of ?30,000 to ?40,000 to change it I believe. Unless some kind person comes along with an offer to do it for free or very cheaply then we just have to make the best of what's there for now.

I'm also constantly fine tuning levels and a couple of seasons back they did have someone come in and look at speaker positions/directions so they were set up as best they could be. I'm hoping those who were at the game last week will have seen a marked improvement between then and yesterday (it was truly awful last week).

Definately better yesterday compared with the Montrose game as the sound levels were down a bit and the announcements and music was not so distorted

I see some clubs's announcer actually annouces the teams on. For example just when the teams are coming out, for example you could go:

"And here now is the team from Dundee, Dundee FC, and the men in red and blue, the greatest team in the Highlands.............Caley Thistle!"

It could be a good way of getting the crowd going when the two sides come out. Ever thought about doing something like that?

There's lots of things I want to do, but they'll take a little time and some trial/error to see if they can work or we can make them work. Unfortunately with us now being in Div 1 there's fewer personnel available on matchdays so things like getting a heads up of when the teams are ready to come out of the tunnel or advance notice of subs etc don't happen in the same way as they did when we were in the SPL and we had a fourth official who got advance notice of things and we could have someone on hand to relay that information upstairs.

One option that's being looked at is that I actually get my butt out of the announcers box and come pitchside with the microphone....leaving someone upstairs to take care of the controls for music and things.

This is my preferred options because my years as a mobile DJ mean I prefer to have that face to face interaction with the audience/crowd...you can't ignore me if I'm standing in front of you...and it also means I know exactly when the team are ready to come out, I can get more involved with HT challenges, I can "pick" on areas of the crowd and get a bit of banter going pre match and at HT....maybe even get the 50/50o draw done out there or pull the odd fan from the crowd for a quick Q&A type thing.

The willing is there, and I honestly believe the club are keen to support ideas where they are practical and possible.

I'm hoping to get down to the stadium at least once in the next couple of weeks to brainstorm with them and start pinning down what can and can't be done and what needs a little work in order to make it happen.

The lack of clarity with the existing PA system doesn't do you any favours, CD...

You mentioned a figure of 35k somewhere as an estimate for improving or upgrading it.

I'm quite sure it could be done for a helluva lot less than that...

Like most branches of electronics, PA systems have advanced signigficantly in recent years, but have not necessarily increased in price.

When was the present system installed?

The current system is what comes from paying "a helluva lot less" and what people are after is an improved system....no point shelling out any money if we end up with nothing better than what is there at present.

Caley D said Girls Aloud was well received by the crowd and has asked for me for more music to play. I have sent him my 5ive Greatest Hits CD along with some Backstreet Boys to play for the Home game v Ayr.

Caley D said Girls Aloud was well received by the crowd and has asked for me for more music to play. I have sent him my 5ive Greatest Hits CD along with some Backstreet Boys to play for the Home game v Ayr.

Chicane - Poppinhola wasnt played :rotflmao:

not his own personal choice to count down from 10 to 1 around 25 times when no-one else could be arsed.

Were you actually watching what was happening, the kids had ten seconds to try and score and to HELP each one they got the announcer to do the countdown, it really annoys me when people slate others for trying to help. Even if the so called supporters didn't like it I'm sure the kids did and appreciated what was being done for them. Like most things in life you only get out of something what your willing to put in! Get a life.