FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Fleetwood Town v ICT matchday thread

caleyrule

No big deal. Looking at the starting line-up probably only 5 are probably guaranteed a start if fit (Tokely, Munro, Golly, Cox, Maybe Odihambo). It's all about fitness at this stage anyway. One thing it might highlight to Terry and Mo is that there may be little bit of a lack of cover in a couple of positions (left back, centre half and striker) and more focus will be put into resolving this over the next couple of weeks.

This time last year we were struggling to a penalty shoot-out win over Montrose, look where we ended up at when the season finished. These early games, especially friendlies are absolutely no indication of how the team will perform over the season.

Tis what we do next weekend that counts, or at least thats when it all starts. Remember its just a warm up kick about for us, but it was the opening if a new stadium or stand for them. ment more to them basically

The poster who said that Philadelphia are a lowly(poor?) team was mistaken.

That team beat Toronto a couple of weeks ago and were industrious and skilful. Celtic beat Seattle, and then Sporting Lisbon in their last game of their North American tour and have signed several experienced, high-profile players. One of their new signings from Mexico, named Juarez or Suarez, played for Mexico in the world cup.

So Caley Thistle hopefully will be taking their visit very seriously.

Personally not too bothered with the result today. Where as most folk were thinking "Pfft, Non league side, eeaassy!".. I'm quite sure Fleetwood would have been wanting to give it a fair good go as seen as we were an SPL team, in order to knock us down a peg or two. Also, English Non-League isn't that bad at all, watched a fair few St. Albans games when Im visiting family.. better than our dour lower SFL leagues by far.

Again, though.. not all alarmed by it.. a kick-a-bout to get players gelling and fitness up, bring on the cup!

Seem to remember Caley beating Hearts in a pre-season friendly in the 80's - although we enjoyed the result, I don't think we got too carried away with it.

Don't think Hearts were too bothered either, being as it was just a friendly!

Seem to remember Caley beating Hearts in a pre-season friendly in the 80's - although we enjoyed the result, I don't think we got too carried away with it.

Yes it was 2-0 in 1982, give or take a year. And I did get quite carried away with it TBH.

A 2-1 defeat to Fleetwood Town is nothing to get upset about. Fleetwood earned promotion to the fifth tier of English football for the first time and this league does produce some quality teams that will give any SPL opposition a decent game. As for us, we huffed and puffed at the start and were under the cosh early on. Our new signing between the sticks had a fine game and made one memorable save from a free-kick. After going behind we almost equalised straight away but, unfortunately, Roy hasn't got that 'in front of goal instinct' as his lame effort was easily saved. We also hit the bar towards HT as we tried to get back on level terms.

We started brightly enough in the second half but we were weak in front of goal. There second was a defensive mix up which had Terry and Mo raging (as well as us) but, after that, we did try to make a game of it. TB answered our calls for Rooney and he got one back within 5 mins of coming on. We had chances late on to snatch a draw but our efforts were wayward or easily saved.

Just a comment on some of the new faces: Tuffey was excellent between the sticks but there does seem to be a lack of communication with his defence at times which is understandable for a new guy. McCann looked ring rusty and uncertain, not sure if he was responsible for any of the goals mind but he didn't fill me with confidence. Early days of course. Gil whatshisname looking up for it when he came on and did a loy of running around. His first touch was woeful and distribution of the ball was also bellow par. Again. early days and I'm they'll all come good in the end.

Fleetwood Town FC as a whole was a wonderful relaxed experience. There was no segregation for this match and the banter was superb. There was a bar underneath the stand behind the goal where both sets of supporters were able to drink and enjoy the occasion. You could also have a pint at half time! Big screen TV as well with action replays of goals and a full list of the teams, goals etc. For a team that attracts the same kind of crowds as we did in the SFL their facilities put ours SPL one's to shame.

Despite the score it was a great day out.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Fleetwood Town put the muppets in to clear perspective. What a feckin great club, what a feckin great ground, what a great feckin management. It may well be in the back streets and shadowed by Blackpool but the supporters bar in the ground and the friendly atmosphere is second to none that I have ever been to. If we had this at ICT we would be the place that everybody would want to come to - I am going there regularly from now on. Fer fecks sake the owner came and bought a feckin drink and chatted to us, the manager gave us a run down on our team - as indicated by ma good self - even the Fleetwood version of Tommy Cummings berated the pitch becos of the feckin rain !!

And where were the Muppets ?? Nowhere apart from a subdued Jimmy Falconer !! Butcher shone through as our ambassador even though he was clearly embarrased by our performsnce and apologised to the great 100+ away support. All the players went to the bar aftrewards and top marks to Duncan, Eric, Esson and Rooney who were the ones who made it their goal to mingle with the ICT support.

As fer the game - it may well have been pre season and a "jolly" - and if they dont raise it fer Stockport - and some fans laying out a lot of sponddoolachs I will murder them - so this is brief, harsh and blunt

Tuffey :oops01: Crap - lost us the 2 goals - no communication - feckin scared of crosses. Bring back Ryan Esson

McCann :oops01: Not impressed at all - may not be fit but slower than Rosscoe

Tokely :oops01: He is simply NOT a feckin central defender. Hoof, hoof, hoof

Munro :_wave: Bet defender by a mile, even looking to pass out of defence. Good solid game

Golly :oops01: Woeful. caught out for pace and hoof, hoof, hoof

Cox :ictscarf: Worked his feckin socks off a la Russell Duncan style - unspectacular but secure - which is what we need

in the SPL

McBain :_sleep: Get him to left back - enuff said

Sanchez :_beatme: Lovely touches but looked like he was at a feckin beach party where you are not allowed to feckin tackle and concentrate more on yer feckin hair do.

Shinnie :_wink: Young lad who at times showed his lack of exprience but had some good touches - SFL status in my opinion but will be an assest inthe squad and on the bench.

Eric :_beatme: Full of running and movement but 2009 - 2010 revisted

Sutherland :_wink: I like the first peep at this lad _ Rooneyesque - will develop in to a good player - SPL prospect

ROONEY :_phone: Lit up the feckin game. Told us after that he was still feeling his thigh - I offered him treatment but he declined.

Bloomingshite :_phone: Great songs but none can be printed !! Disagree with Gringo though - not a place to shine - coming on in Fleetwood in the drizzle - vibes of a stronger Juanjo hit my drunken perspective - La Liga ststus.

Innes - :_wave: Clearly not ift but looks good - Bye Bye Rosscoe.

And whoever was the wee lad that came on at irte back :_fart:

So - as Manny said it was a warm up and highs and lows but TB was clearly not impressed - and a lot of peeple paid out a lot of spondoolachs to watch this garbage - great Away support (as ever) and the only saving garce was the company, the atmosphere, a ground that simply as to be envied, the cheap booze and grab a granny night club in Chorley !!

Butcher was clearly livid, Maurice malpas was cleraly more hungover than I was - I EXPECT an improved performance at Northwich.

Edited by IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER
  • Agree 4

Don't be too hard on your boys, it was after all about getting fit. Fleetwood are full time pros these days and have had the benefit of being at a training camp in Austria for a week pre-season a few weeks ago. It felt like a real game for us as yesterday as opposed to our previous two games against Blackburn and Rochdale (which we lost both). You had a good set of supporters there on saturday and were a credit to the club. I actually saw someone walking round Blackpool Sunday afternoon with a Caley Thistle top on (hope you didn't leave him behind ;-)

Anyway, glad to read you enjoyed your experience of the bar and ground etc, and who knows, we may cross paths again one day.

Good luck in the SPL from the Cod Army!

• Agree 1

What Johndo said, basically. Mrs Mantis had visitors arriving so I had to get my erse back up the road. Shame I missed the post mortems in Jim's Bar.

Not for me to question what T&J were trying to get out of this game but for us travelling punters it would have made for a less depressing drive home if we had put out a stronger side and won the game.

As it was we had to wait 70 mins for Roonaldo to make an appearance before scoring the goal of the game with possibly his first touch, clipping it home from a Nick Ross driven cross.

No Esson, Duncan, Hayes or Foran, plus only 20 mins of Rooney. Oh well it's only a friendly but it's more ammo for those who say the SPL is pish. I think Fleetwood expected to beat us. They'd already had games against Blackburn and Rochdale and a foreign trip, while we had played, em, Forres and so on.

Tuffey- just what the Partick fans say- a great shot stopper but he cost us the game by dropping the ball for the second goal, plus one or two other fumbles. I can't remember what happened at the first goal but I know it was a shambles.

McCann- worrying, bring back Bambi, or even Rossco at RB.

Eric- why?

Golly- been a great servant but we need a LB, even if we use Roy in the short term.

Innes- probably the new Machine.

Sutherland-very promising but I don't think TB will give him much game time in the SPL. Likewise Shinnie and Ross.

Blumenhell- too early to say, a bit of a sand-dancer, hope he's better than Berkovic was when we stuffed the Tic.

Roy's sitter just after they scored was a shocker. Had about 3 feet of room to place it inside the post, or blast it, but he placed it to the keeper's diving feet. Shinnie rattled the bar before half time. I actually found it really enjoyable for a friendly, the teams created about the same number of chances each, but Fleetwood Mac always tried to play it while we had too much punting it long (are you listening Ross). If we stuck to passing the ball I thought we were the better side.

If you look at Fleetwood's site they averaged about 1000 fans last year, the ground holds about 3700 (but they're building a new stand). So a much smaller club than us. But they leave us standing with that sports bar (and that's separate from their social club) plus the tv interviews and scoreboard and all that stuff (mind you I've never really seen the point of spending money on a big screen apart from telling everybody you have a big screen).

I never usually bother with programmes but I got one this time. ?1.50 for 16 pages and they don't have anything about us, apart from the team lineups, and their statto says he was in Sneck once on holiday.....

• Agree 1

Don't be too hard on your boys, it was after all about getting fit. Fleetwood are full time pros these days and have had the benefit of being at a training camp in Austria for a week pre-season a few weeks ago. It felt like a real game for us as yesterday as opposed to our previous two games against Blackburn and Rochdale (which we lost both). You had a good set of supporters there on saturday and were a credit to the club. I actually saw someone walking round Blackpool Sunday afternoon with a Caley Thistle top on (hope you didn't leave him behind ;-)

Anyway, glad to read you enjoyed your experience of the bar and ground etc, and who knows, we may cross paths again one day.

Good luck in the SPL from the Cod Army!

Good Cod - a good post - we had a whale of a time and what I am herring is that we made a lot of noise. But we treated it like a training game and paid the penalty - if you had travelled to Sneck and witnessed that performance you would have been pissed as well.

What a feckin great wee ground though.

What Johndo said, basically. Mrs Mantis had visitors arriving so I had to get my erse back up the road. Shame I missed the post mortems in Jim's Bar.

Not for me to question what T&J were trying to get out of this game but for us travelling punters it would have made for a less depressing drive home if we had put out a stronger side and won the game.

As it was we had to wait 70 mins for Roonaldo to make an appearance before scoring the goal of the game with possibly his first touch, clipping it home from a Nick Ross driven cross.

No Esson, Duncan, Hayes or Foran, plus only 20 mins of Rooney. Oh well it's only a friendly but it's more ammo for those who say the SPL is pish. I think Fleetwood expected to beat us. They'd already had games against Blackburn and Rochdale and a foreign trip, while we had played, em, Forres and so on.

Tuffey- just what the Partick fans say- a great shot stopper but he cost us the game by dropping the ball for the second goal, plus one or two other fumbles. I can't remember what happened at the first goal but I know it was a shambles.

McCann- worrying, bring back Bambi, or even Rossco at RB.

Eric- why?

Golly- been a great servant but we need a LB, even if we use Roy in the short term.

Innes- probably the new Machine.

Sutherland-very promising but I don't think TB will give him much game time in the SPL. Likewise Shinnie and Ross.

Blumenhell- too early to say, a bit of a sand-dancer, hope he's better than Berkovic was when we stuffed the Tic.

Roy's sitter just after they scored was a shocker. Had about 3 feet of room to place it inside the post, or blast it, but he placed it to the keeper's diving feet. Shinnie rattled the bar before half time. I actually found it really enjoyable for a friendly, the teams created about the same number of chances each, but Fleetwood Mac always tried to play it while we had too much punting it long (are you listening Ross). If we stuck to passing the ball I thought we were the better side.

If you look at Fleetwood's site they averaged about 1000 fans last year, the ground holds about 3700 (but they're building a new stand). So a much smaller club than us. But they leave us standing with that sports bar (and that's separate from their social club) plus the tv interviews and scoreboard and all that stuff (mind you I've never really seen the point of spending money on a big screen apart from telling everybody you have a big screen).

I never usually bother with programmes but I got one this time. ?1.50 for 16 pages and they don't have anything about us, apart from the team lineups, and their statto says he was in Sneck once on holiday.....

The matchday programme wasnt up to much,especially for ?1.50....not our usual standard. A lot of Clubs dont usually bother for friendlies down these parts, sometimes an A4 team sheet is as much as you'd expect or need.Been a couple of seasons since I was last up Inverness, hows the Clachnacuddin lads over in Grant Street doing?

If you look at Fleetwood's site they averaged about 1000 fans last year, the ground holds about 3700 (but they're building a new stand). So a much smaller club than us.

But I see they have a score board. So really they are a much bigger club than us.

Just got back from a cracking weekend in Blackpool, and an enjoyable away day despite the performance.

Can only echo what's been said before really. Tuffey was the saving grace a couple of times, with good performances from Munro, Sutherland and Coxxy. The rest of the starting XI don't get pass marks. Roy's miss was SHOCKING, Sanchez and Odhiambo looking ok at times but not putting all that much effort in. Was poor having to wait until about 70 mins to see Rooney, who then scored with his first touch. Gil, Nick Ross and Gavin Morrison also played well when they came on, and we were certainly looking a lot more threatening in attack after those subs. All in all, lacklustre performance against a well organised Fleetwood side, and we can't complain with the scoreline really.

Fair play to their sub keeper who came in for a bit of stick, but took it well and even gave us a wee clap after. Their stadium and set up in general seemed top notch, and they're a well run club who could easily progress to a higher level. The programme said they were hosting top flight European opposition though, and also our 'pre-season training' pics contained Barrowload, Rory, Cowie, Barry Wilson and a certain Mr Brewster. :lol: Only complaint.

The Fleetwood "CODCAST" is now on.

http://www.fleetwood...10/July/028.php

Excellent application - like it....

I agree Tichy B....maybe CTO online can introduce this in the future for our matchday threads!

had never heard of that application before and only seeing it now after the event without the benefit of seeing it "live" but it looks like a decent wee app. Will investigate either for this site or as a recommendation to the offiial site to go hand in hand with the video service.