FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Pre season fixtures

bauhaus

Last season it was all confirmed at very short notice. The game in Northern Ireland was postponed, the tour of South west England was nearly cancelled altogether because the club were struggling to find a third team to play. The pre-season tour usually ends the week before the season starts, but that doesn't mean it will be the same this year of course!

Guest Mahonio

I am with IHE when he says that Mr Butcher has to get the pre-season right this season, he needs to cut down on the amount of Highland League opponents and use good opposition instead, preferably European opponents, just so we are ready for the beginning of the season.

Was there not something in the courier about pre-season friendlies.

I've not got my copy any more, but I believe it said we'll have no home fixtures as the pitch is getting sorted out, and they're ruled out england.

I would therefore think we'll be playing SFL opposition away from home mostly, with games against Highland League teams for the fringe players.

Montecatini was wonderful! The first friendly also produced theee club records - biggest score, fastest goal and smallest crowd. I forget the numbers now, but when the game kicked off there were about 11 members of the public in the ground.

The atmosphere was extremely strange since there was no crowd noise at all. It was only players shouting at each other in English and Italian and the constant whine of demented bumble bees outside as the local boy racers whizzed about on their scooters.

But the most memorable part of that trip was that it coincided with a semi finals and the final of the 2006 World Cup and the Italians went absolutely mental when their team won, going round and round the town centre (which included the ICT team hotel) honking hooters, playing trumpets, three on a scooter, four on a scooter drinking beer etc etc.

Unforgettable.

Was there not something in the courier about pre-season friendlies.

I've not got my copy any more, but I believe it said we'll have no home fixtures as the pitch is getting sorted out, and they're ruled out england.

I would therefore think we'll be playing SFL opposition away from home mostly, with games against Highland League teams for the fringe players.

The only mention in Fridays courier was that Clach host ICT and County on the 10th and 31 July. was it Tuesdays one.

Last Tuesday's Courier says that Butcher is preparing for for a series of pre-season friendlies in Scotland for after June 29th. It also says that it is unlikely any games will be played at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium due to planned work to the pitch and another trip to England has been ruled out. ( so sorry folks who were hoping for a road trip)

The Friday Courier gives the Clach game dates.

I'm not seeing anything in the Northern Scot re anything arranged for ICT in Moray/Nairn with Elgin or Highland League teams yet....or in the Caithness papers with Wick..but I suppose it is on the early side....I have my fingers crossed for games in those areas.

I would say the clubs finances would dictate where the pre-season 'tour' would go. Kind of makes sense that we stay in Scotland and cut costs. At the end of the day the pre-season games are all about match fitness and not tougher opposition.

• Agree 1

It's all well and good saying there is no money for a trip away to England or abroad but the point is that the pre-season games have got to prepare us for tough SPL games right at the start of the season. A good start is important to get points on the board because failure to get those early points might be the difference between relegation and survival, or top six or not. Matches against Wick and Huntly will prove very little, We need to assess how new members of the squad can perform against quality opposition so that the correct line up, properly prepared is in place for the first game of the season. Shelling out to pit ourselves against some quality English opposition might prove to be a very sound investment.

• Agree 3

It's all well and good saying there is no money for a trip away to England or abroad but the point is that the pre-season games have got to prepare us for tough SPL games right at the start of the season. A good start is important to get points on the board because failure to get those early points might be the difference between relegation and survival, or top six or not. Matches against Wick and Huntly will prove very little, We need to assess how new members of the squad can perform against quality opposition so that the correct line up, properly prepared is in place for the first game of the season. Shelling out to pit ourselves against some quality English opposition might prove to be a very sound investment.

I agree, and I also think that a trip away for a week helps with team morale. However, from a fans point of view I am biased - I do like going to different locations, it's like a mini-holiday! But I assume / hope that games against Scottish teams will be tough opposition. Hopefully they are looking at top end 1st division, i.e. Falkirk, Dundee etc. If it is only HL / north teams though, then that will be terrible prep.

I wonder if the club would consider asking some of the Olympic football teams if they wish to come for a friendly in the run-up to their competition. As we all know, some of the games are taking place at Hampden (one of whom is Spain), perhaps with some teams wanting to put in some practice before the tournament begins. This could get the ICT players involved in a different kind of friendly and would be a nice spectacle for the fans. I seem to recollect England doing something like this with the South African team Platinum Stars before the last World Cup.

• Agree 1

Mens games are Spain, Japan, Honduras and Morocco, but it would be interesting for the womens teams games USA, France, Colombia and PDR Korea ( North I think ). After that first weekend Glasgow only has two more games so Scotlands participation as part of the UK London olympics are almost over in the weekend before the official opening ceremony. So much for Scotland benefiting out of the Olympics. Have to say I didnt want them here ( London ) in the first place, so can I have my Tax money back please. Would have helped the Country out not having these overpriced preparations.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

The SFA have a page on their official website where they list all the pre-season friendlies in Scotland Whilst browsing through it I was surprised to find that we have a game arranged as I hadn't heard anything yet. The page was last updated on 1st June.

Tuesday 24th July

Brechin City v Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Glebe Park, Brechin, KO 7.30pm

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=3332