FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

3rd? Who would have dreamt of that in 1994!

caleyyyyyy

Good article and I certainly never imagined I would see ICT so close to European football in my lifetime!

Not sure about the shift of power in the long run but certainly this season yes! The 2 Edinburgh clubs, Aberdeen, Utd must be embarrassed that they haven't managed to capitalise on Rangers leaving! Tough sh*t I say ICT & C*unty have

• Agree 1

I was always pretty confident that ICT could be an SPL side. But being a realists and even after this amazing season, i do se our natural place as being a team that should reasonably expect to finnish anywhere from 7th place to 11th place most seasons.

If we hold on to the first team next season things could even be better and I have just looked into my magic ball.

I keep telling you....its not a magical ball....its medical term is a saline testical implant :P

Edited by SMEE

From matchday programme 9th Nov 1996 - Bells Third Division

Pele "Today is the big day when we take up residence in our new stadium and I would like to welcome all Inverness supporters to what is hoped will be the beginning of a very special chapter in the short history of Inverness Caledonian Thistle"

Mike Noble " The waiting is finally over and today we play our first Scottish League fixture at the new stadium and what a lift we will all get if we can manage to defeat an ever improving Albion Rovers side" 

Think it's safe to say we've come a long way.... :clapoverhead:

Edited by Bluesman

Never mind 1994, if you'd said it back in the summer id have hit you. My expectations got blown away back in November when we sat perched at the top of the table alongside Celtic. Its just been incredible to see us make such a prominent rise this season, to the point where European football is a distinct and realistic possibility. Even after witnessing a match like last night i can just laugh it off because we are in such a great position. Its a strange and bizarre feeling but its also great. Its testament to all the happy clappers who perdicted this season would be better, and Richie Foran who promised us that at the end of last season. 

Whether we can repeat it next season will be the big question so best thing to do is just lap it up now and enjoy it. I know i certainly am. 

• Agree 3

I can't say I dreamt it, cause I always thought it would happen.  Of course there has been times in the past when we've come very close to Europe - IIRC had we beaten Dunfermline in 2004 and gotten to the final, the way the system was set up at that time, we would have gotten into Europe.  Queen of the South have been in Europe in the last few years as well, so it was always achievable.  

The next big moment will be when the 3-1 Celtic win is outdone - and I believe it will be.  The way things are going that will most likely be against foreign opposition and a victory against a large English side would certainly do it.

IMO though, the ICT journey isn't over yet, and I reckon we will out-do ourselves once more - and I believe that in my lifetime, Inverness will win the Premier League.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

Amazing that the only derby in the SPL post split will be El Kessicko

i think you might find there will be a Dundee derby and a Edinburgh Derby

Isn't it ironic that Dundee blew up that derby by beating Killie?

Amazing that the only derby in the SPL post split will be El Kessicko

i think you might find there will be a Dundee derby and a Edinburgh Derby  

Isn't it ironic that Dundee blew up that derby by beating Killie?

They couldnt bear the pain....

Progress indeed. I have open in front of me Ian Broadfoot's ringbound volume of match reports for the first two years 1994-96. It is at the page "Saturday 20th August 1994 - Caledonian Thistle 0 Queens Park 4. Bell's Scottish League Third Division." which was CT's first league defeat. The crowd was1500 which by the turn of the year would drop to under 1000.

The CT team that day was McRitchie, Brennan, McAllister, Hercher (MacMillan), Scott, Andrew, D. MacDonald, MacKenzie, Noble, Bennett (Hastings), Robertson. Unused - Gray.

One week later there was a Third Division record crowd of 3157 in Dingwall for a scoreline of Ross County 1 Caledonian Thistle 3 which included nine yellow cards and two red (Gary Campbell of County and Mike Andrew of CT.)

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'll settle for nine yellows, two reds - and the same scoreline for the last game of this season

Hell I'd settle for nine reds, two yellows and the same scoreline :smile:

But only if all the reds are issued to County players, I don't want suspensions at the start of next season. That said, I could live with those who leave being among the reds...

If we do get into Europe I sincerely hope that the support at Tulloch will be on the increase next season. This team , and Terry, deserve it.

Who WOULD have thunk it..eh? :clapoverhead:

Hope you make it back for the centenary Scarlet,  how far away is it now roughly.