FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

What are you going to do?

STFU

A question for all those who aren't happy with how things are at the club.  What are you going to do about it?

I didn't renew my season ticket and am actively avoiding giving business to sponsors and advertisers (where possible) who, in my view, are just propping up the current regime.  I've also stopped buying local newspapers because journalists are spineless and not asking the questions I think they should be asking, or highlighting the issues, both on and off the park.

I don't blame the team/players, but it's impossible to be there to cheer them on without also supporting the wages and investment of those who have the power to change things and sit back doing nothing.

• Thoughtful 1

1 hour ago, STFU said:

A question for all those who aren't happy with how things are at the club.  What are you going to do about it?

I didn't renew my season ticket and am actively avoiding giving business to sponsors and advertisers (where possible) who, in my view, are just propping up the current regime.  I've also stopped buying local newspapers because journalists are spineless and not asking the questions I think they should be asking, or highlighting the issues, both on and off the park.

I don't blame the team/players, but it's impossible to be there to cheer them on without also supporting the wages and investment of those who have the power to change things and sit back doing nothing.

It might be worthwhile putting up a list of all businesses we now need to boycott.

• Facepalm 1

What can I do? Not a lot, I reluctantly renewed last minute and will go along and support the team on the pitch as best as I can. 

I haven't bought any merch or strips, I usually get a full kit for both kids. 

I think the attendees at games this season will pretty much be the wearied 'hard core' who will go no matter what. Quite honestly I don't think most of the higher echelons really would be bothered by anything folk do. This is evidenced by their behaviour and attitude towards the Supporters Trust and fans in general when they have contacted the club. 

They know best and don't give a hoot what the plebs think no matter what. SLO? Why bother? What would they need that kind of input for? 🤷‍♂️

The Chairman has made his appointment and seems 100% happy with how the club's direction is going as the CEO pulls all the strings and all senior positions appear safe as houses with contracts extended dispite our lowest league position for a very long time. It appears they feel they're doing a great job so again I doubt anything anyone says or does will make any difference at all. 

Edited by Fraz
  • Agree 4
  • Well Said 1

I usually have a season ticket even though I cant always get to games.   I did it to show support for the cub.  This season I didn't renew and will end up saving money by just paying for the games I can attend.

The one thing that is a bit disappointing is that the club never bothered to contact me or any of the others I know that did not renew.  Its like they just don't care.   In previous years, season ticket holders who did not renew would always at least be contacted to find out why.  I even remember one year players were drafted in to call people before the season started.

So, this season I will still be going to the games when I can, but I'm so disillusioned that I'm not buying  the usual new top/merch or be spending silly money in hospitality.  Something I did around 4 times a season in days gone by.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 1

1 hour ago, highlandexile said:

The one thing that is a bit disappointing is that the club never bothered to contact me or any of the others I know that did not renew.  Its like they just don't care.   In previous years, season ticket holders who did not renew would always at least be contacted to find out why.  I even remember one year players were drafted in to call people before the season started. 

Had similar thoughts as well. I haven't renewed this year for the first time in at least 20 years (probably longer) and got nothing from the club. The year Rangers were going to be punted after being liquidated someone from the club phoned to see why I hadn't renewed but nothing this year. In fairness, a call wouldn't have changed my mind. I'm not renewing due to a new addition to the family but it did leave me feeling a little undervalued as a loyal fan for many years. 

• Agree 4

I renewed my season ticket but am very disappointed with ICT.   After supporting ICT since inception and Caley before that, I’ve spent loads money on the Club but.... likely no more until they get their act in gear.   The current regime certainly don’t care about retaining fans - ie I’ve sponsored various players for years, enjoyed the Sponsors Nights, still have all the photos and mementos.  Last season they accepted my cash for sponsorship but, no Sponsors Night, no photo, nought and, now not even a letter asking me to renew!  Too embarrassed, are they?  I presume now they only want Companies to sponsor but, Companies aren’t fans and, a Club without fans ?   No wonder I enjoyed my welcome and the game at Clach recently!  And the footie was good there too.  

• Like 1
  • Well Said 7

4 hours ago, ICTPaisley said:

It might be worthwhile putting up a list of all businesses we now need to boycott.

Nobody NEEDS to do anything they don't want to, and there will be those who are happy to keep on throwing their hard earned at the club for any number of reasons; from blind faith that things will improve, to those with kids where it's tough to explain and stop taking them to games.

It comes down to individuals to decide, and ultimately everyone's reasoning is legitimate, even if it is based on false information (they choose who to believe). 

I'm just interested in seeing what others are doing/close to doing beyond complaining on here.

• Agree 1

I’m in the same situation as Fraz. I love live football and will continue to attend, and I like to attend other games locally sometimes (apart from County!) when Caley Thistle are away.

I think the next month will be telling. We have Ayr and Airdrie away then Dunfermline at home. A team we normally do well against and the two promoted teams. We should be aiming for 9 points and no less than 7, and our fans should be able to feel confident that we can achieve that, but how many of us are?

Like STFU I don’t blame the players and I will support and encourage them in every game I am at, even when they gift goals which we seem to have become adept at.

What I don’t get is how we had a game plan against Celtic and our defending was solid. That game plan was not hoofball but designed to play to our strengths, and we got a better result than we all expected. Why then don’t we have a game plan that suits our strengths and targets the weaknesses of the opposition in every game, with a plan B (and C if necessary). If we can do it for “big” games, we should be able to do it for every game.

I really hope that the dialogue between the ST and the club is constructive and meaningful following the survey and that the ST are able to get the valid concerns about communication and the scale of our non-playing costs across to those in charge.

We could all agree to bombard the SLO with e-mails voicing our concerns, with follow ups in the event that no replies are received. Surely that would be noticed by the club???

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

7 hours ago, STFU said:

Continue to do what I am doing! Which is focus on the long term (ie 3years plus in the future), and flag where I believe a lack of accountability or representation is abused by those controlling and owning the power.

I personally did not renew my season ticket as I was unhappy with the basically the style (wrong term here) of play and the continued decline of the club and couldn’t see where or when it would improve soon. That registers my lost few quid over the season where the powers only notice (the pocket). My choice!!
Now that said I have no issue with the fans that have bought season tickets as it is ingrained in fans to support the club as they normally would! I back every fans stance to support the team as they wish.

I will pick and choose the matches I want to attend!!

Back to the main point. Billy Dodds has a two year contract. I personally don’t agree with those that have the power voted in support of this new contract extension (be good to know who exactly did), however the deed is done, so they say, so I accept ( and respect) that decision. 
I see improvement will only come incrementally, taking 5 to 8 years to get us back to a level that I believe the club (and dare I say the city) could compete at a level equivalent to say a Killie, Livvy or the Well. - That requires a thorough thought out strategy and plan. 
Much that I wish Coonty did not have Sir Roy funding them, they have pulled away and left ICT in their tracks on stadium, management and fan engagement, (Decade in my view). I do not foresee a sugar daddy coming over the horizon to save us. We’re in such a precarious position, it’s just a bad financial business judgment to make. Alan Savage, like him or not, is no mug. 

So it’s back to the slow grinding  incremental plan for me. Now the current people in charge and Mister Dodds might just succeed this season and the team gets promoted! Would this be good (I don’t know), but I’d go along for the ride for sure. If not then the fans will begin to back the case for change, certainly if next seasons campaign comes of the rails early. 

So finally, it’s too early in my mind to call for the manager’s head or the CEO or Chairman when the season had just started. In fact I believe it may rile a core of fans that may have some views like you express, but makes them defend the status quo more. 

I understand your angst is the visual steady decline of the team and club and loss of anything to arrest and change that. You’re not alone and for me it’s great supporters like you are out there fighting and promoting for positive and tangible change.  

For me long term

Bc

Edited by big cherly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

In Englandshire I follow Everton. I'm fecked. But in a more serious manner I am not throwing away money to go to regular away days. I went to Maryhill twice last season and was disgusted. I have to concede that things evidently improved at the end of the season but I am worried that lessons have not be learned and I am going to wait and see. Ayr is a regular game for me and Airdrie is new but I ain't going to either.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum in that this year is the first time I have bought a season ticket, having moved to Inverness in the last few years and wishing to support my local club.  I have also joined the Supporters trust and wish to be active and make a positive contribution as well as be part of this online community.

I intend to go to as many games as possible home and away this year to support the team and the club.  However I am becoming increasingly concerned about how under valued loyal and long standing supporters of the club feel.

I have emailed the club on a few occasions about various issues including their cup final ticketing policy (which in my opinion resulted in us having a lot less fans at Hampden than there could have been) and the Boycott Puma campaign prior to this year's kit supplier being confirmed.  One of the emails I sent to three separate email addresses including the SLO. 

I have still not had a response which I find majorly disappointing and I am starting to see why some fans are voting with their feet and ultimately their wallet/purse.

If things don't change and the level of disillusionment continues to increase what are the chances of some form of organised visual protest at a home match to demonstrate the strength of feeling and push for positive change?.... 

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

2 minutes ago, robbo1985 said:

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum in that this year is the first time I have bought a season ticket, having moved to Inverness in the last few years and wishing to support my local club.  I have also joined the Supporters trust and wish to be active and make a positive contribution as well as be part of this online community.

I intend to go to as many games as possible home and away this year to support the team and the club.  However I am becoming increasingly concerned about how under valued loyal and long standing supporters of the club feel.

I have emailed the club on a few occasions about various issues including their cup final ticketing policy (which in my opinion resulted in us having a lot less fans at Hampden than there could have been) and the Boycott Puma campaign prior to this year's kit supplier being confirmed.  One of the emails I sent to three separate email addresses including the SLO. 

I have still not had a response which I find majorly disappointing and I am starting to see why some fans are voting with their feet and ultimately their wallet/purse.

If things don't change and the level of disillusionment continues to increase what are the chances of some form of organised visual protest at a home match to demonstrate the strength of feeling and push for positive change?.... 

I am hoping that it does not come to that and the supporters trust are able to have positive dialogue with the club following the survey and we see change coming from that ..... 

• Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

This thread certainly makes for grim reading, but it provides good examples of the attitude the Club has towards the fans which the Supporters Trust survey illustrated in a more structured and representative way.  I can understand and respect people voting with their feet, especially when money is tight, but I don't think that will make the Club management change their ways.  Less revenue will simply be used as an excuse not to address some of the issues highlighted in the Matchday Experience Survey.  What we need is a stronger fans' voice.  It is interesting that in the P&J's article on the Survey Report, the Club is quoted as acknowledging that the 300 or so fans who completed the survey should be seen as a reasonable cross section.  It follows that the club must acknowledge the shortcomings identified in the survey report are a reflection of the views of the support as a whole and therefore need to be addressed.

The P&J also quoted the Club saying "if we could have a strong and relevant supporters group going forward, it would be very helpful".  As fans, we need to hold the Club to these statements. If fans can get behind the Supporters Trust then that would seem to be the best way to get a constructive dialogue between the Club and the supporters and to get these issues addressed.  If the Trust had the backing of a large proportion of the fan base, then I am sure the club would not get away with cancelling the sponsors' night or failing to follow up on season-ticket renewals, for example. 

In the longer term, what we need is fans' representation on the Club Board. The Supporters Trust is the obvious channel for that, but it would need the Trust to be significantly stronger than it is now for that to ever happen. The bottom line here is that the stronger the Supporters Trust is, the better the communication with the club will be. The Trust is trying to get the concerns of funds addressed.  If fans don't get behind the Trust and join it, it will simply give the Club an excuse not to address the very issues that fans are complaining about.

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 1

I've no idea how many season ticket holders there are (1,200?) and I've no idea how many Supporters Trust members there are (200?) but maybe the club could clarify exactly how many are required for them to recognise it as representative?  

The fact that they keep complaining that it's not representative enough is ridiculous considering that there's no other single group around that is close and certainly none that hold 10% share rights regardless. The club should be instead grateful for the time and energy that those involved have put in and listen intently to what they (and the survey) have to say. 

However given that they ignore (like Robbo1985 has stated above) communication from individual fans and from the ST there's no way they will listen to anyone in any circumstances unless it suits them imo. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

What are you going to do about it?  Good question and one that is difficult to answer. I don't think boycotting advertisers/sponsors bushiness will make one jot of difference to the goings on on the pitch, dressing room and board. I've not bought a shirt for a number of years apart some leisure gear. My attendance has dwindled over the past few years. After winning the cup in 2015 and the break up of the team it left me feeling deflated and apathetic. 

It's a 700+ miles round trip for me to get to an away game and close to 1000 for a home game. For me to do that now it really does need a serious wake up call concerning events on the field.Yes, my home games coincided with a weekend away but a poor game would put a dampener on it so I (we) don't bother so much these days. I only went to two games last season (both glory hunting trips to Hampden). I had plans to go to a couple of others but these were scuppered by the fixtures being changed to satisfy TV. 

I haven't bought a newspaper for many years so the boycotting of those was in place about 20 years ago. Only paper I sometimes get now is the Metro but that's usually in the Winter months as it's good for lighting my woodburner.

As mentioned about in this thread, we do have a voice via the ST. The more that join this the louder the voice will be. Those that haven't renewed season tickets or purchased merchandise could join the ST instead. It's only a fiver, which in some parts of this ruined country, is less than the a price of a pint - and it lasts a year (longer than some managers...except BD). 

To answer the question though, the only constructive thing I've done about is, I (We) have joined the ST.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

11 hours ago, robbo1985 said:

I have twice drafted a suggestion along those lines, and twice deleted it.  The problem is that anything like that is confrontational, and could well make relations between the club management and the fans worse.  Could also damage the relationship between the management and the Supporters' Trust, even if the ST wasn't involved (I am sure they would NOT be).

But, yes, a demo outside the ground before a game, or something inside before a game or at half-time - having tipped off the press beforehand - was what I was thinking of.  If it's outside, talk to the police beforehand to make sure that it's legal and that you won't be done for obstruction or something like that.

But have such actions ever been successful in any way?  I'm thinking about Man U here, and Newcastle.  Dangerous, too - if the management has other things lined up, then they might just get up and leave, putting the club into a worse position than it is now.

Other than continuing to press for better communications, especially via the ST, I can't see a way forward.

• Like 1

So what are people’s realistic desired goals for the club? What are the measurements of success that some demand? Reading this I see a lot of complaints about communication and style of play.

Some of the actions suggested here don’t make much sense to me.  
boycotting businesses that support the club seems the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard off! Some people feel a loyalty to a club and support through thick and thin. If people stop supporting supporting businesses and walk away they (the businesses) may never come back leaving the club an even worse state financially.- indeed totally precarious! 
There is a good youth set up which costs a lot but has been producing some decent players. Surely that has to be at the core of what a community club is? Producing and developing local talent from the Highlands? 

so, if it were your business, give us your realistic goals and your methods of achieving them? 

Edited by FrontRow
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 4

Personally I won’t be doing anything to harm the club, I’ll continue to buy merchandise and tickets etc. I support the team on the field regardless of what is happening behind the scenes. 

All of these fan protests and boycotts are a load of nonsense. 

• Like 3
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

This thread certainly makes for grim reading, but it provides good examples of the attitude the Club has towards the fans which the Supporters Trust survey illustrated in a more structured and representative way.  I can understand and respect people voting with their feet, especially when money is tight, but I don't think that will make the Club management change their ways.  Less revenue will simply be used as an excuse not to address some of the issues highlighted in the Matchday Experience Survey.  What we need is a stronger fans' voice.  It is interesting that in the P&J's article on the Survey Report, the Club is quoted as acknowledging that the 300 or so fans who completed the survey should be seen as a reasonable cross section.  It follows that the club must acknowledge the shortcomings identified in the survey report are a reflection of the views of the support as a whole and therefore need to be addressed.

The P&J also quoted the Club saying "if we could have a strong and relevant supporters group going forward, it would be very helpful".  As fans, we need to hold the Club to these statements. If fans can get behind the Supporters Trust then that would seem to be the best way to get a constructive dialogue between the Club and the supporters and to get these issues addressed.  If the Trust had the backing of a large proportion of the fan base, then I am sure the club would not get away with cancelling the sponsors' night or failing to follow up on season-ticket renewals, for example. 

In the longer term, what we need is fans' representation on the Club Board. The Supporters Trust is the obvious channel for that, but it would need the Trust to be significantly stronger than it is now for that to ever happen. The bottom line here is that the stronger the Supporters Trust is, the better the communication with the club will be. The Trust is trying to get the concerns of funds addressed.  If fans don't get behind the Trust and join it, it will simply give the Club an excuse not to address the very issues that fans are complaining about.

I understand DD you’ve invested a mountain of time and effort for the ST,  no less the match day experience survey, and act a link man between the ST and the forum. It’s a love of labour I would think and all credit to you, you do it tirelessly and exceptionally well!

So down to you note.

The issue or ‘charge’ is by a good number of disgruntled fans is the club has been in a steady decline both on and off the park since we won the Scottish Cup in 2015. This rate of decline has been more pronounced under the current CEO, Chairman and Board (the power holders to use my term). The concerts fiasco alienated and cost long stand local small businesses and the outcome by the powers was to close the concert Co and do a Pontius Pilate. They control the money so ignore any approach and hide the facts on how vulnerable the club are doing. They have lost the connection with a lot of life long fans with their apparent couldn’t care less approach.  Bottom line they can do a lot of damage to what is left of the club before (and they will in my view) ultimately departing on to somewhere else.

Their are three options as I see it to influence the ICT power holders 

1) Keep things as they are and continue to support and fully back and finance the status quo and hope things improve.

2) Hope that an Alan Savage like saviour with a big bag of money takes over and invests heavily in the club and ground.

3) Enough fans rally behind a change campaign and make moves to implement change.

I’m in the last camp, although as I explained earlier, it’s the slow train route for me as I think it’s the more sound route! 

You’re clearly in the ST route. I respect that but I don’t agree with it as it’s a retread of an already limited structure that the powers have shown to ignore. The ME survey was nice but in my opinion says a lot of stuff that any clubs fans would say! Respectively, it would not influence the power players except on the periphery.

Maybe it’s a combination of both, I don’t know. But I fear this hierarchy getting lucky and staying in power too long. 

bc

Edited by big cherly
  • Like 2

I suppose an issue is also that we came from the bottom and saw winning and entertaining football for many years and appeared to be consolidating a top league position. We have dropped a level and the fare has too. I often have comparison thoughts between Pele and Dodds which brings on a shiver !! I will be ICT tillidie but the main source of my anger is that the club are ignoring the support. It is clear that there is a broken dressing room and nothing has actually changed or even looked like changing. And where has the cash gone from the Cup run. It has helped balance the books which is a success for some. Fraid that this forum - and probably the survey - is populated by the pi$hed off and I would love to hear the views of the faithful and the yoof 😪

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FrontRow said:

So what are people’s realistic desired goals for the club? What are the measurements of success that some demand? Reading this I see a lot of complaints about communication and style of play.

Some of the actions suggested here don’t make much sense to me.  
boycotting businesses that support the club seems the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard off! Some people feel a loyalty to a club and support through thick and thin. If people stop supporting supporting businesses and walk away they (the businesses) may never come back leaving the club an even worse state financially.- indeed totally precarious! 
There is a good youth set up which costs a lot but has been producing some decent players. Surely that has to be at the core of what a community club is? Producing and developing local talent from the Highlands? 

so, if it were your business, give us your realistic goals and your methods of achieving them? 

I want to, once again, feel like I am a part of the club and that the contribution fans make is valued and directed towards improving the overall experience.  That experience is not just results, it includes matchday, fan engagement (particularly with younger fans), and something which we can take pride in.

I don't have the time to give to, or faith in, the Supporters Trust.  Sadly they exhibit many of the things we see in the club.  An anonymous leader who only seems happy to put their name/face to the successes (the survey results), a lack of connect with the fanbase, the poor us "we're only a small team trying hard" excuse given whenever challenged, etc.  When you look back to people like David Sutherland, Peter Murphy and Don Johnstone, you always felt like they were working to improve things, be that initiatives with the club or calling them out on shortcomings.  They were visible, available and engaging.  Strange, or maybe not, that you no longer see or hear from them?!

I get what you say about boycotting businesses, but I feel it's the only option left to me.  My hope?  That if the club won't listen to fans, then they might start listening if/when other income streams start drying up.  The club's actions already mean fewer eyes on ad boards and strips, so no fans, no value to businesses in paying for these things.  Include the failed concert shambles and the reputational damage caused there, and even the most resolute of optimists can surely see that the threat to corporate support already exists, I'm just being more direct in the (small) hope that someone who can change things realises before it's too late.

There are already people on the board propping up the club financially.  I don't believe lack of resource is the issue, it's the misuse of that resource that finds us where we are.  Just think of how much more could be filtered towards the team and improving infrastructure if we weren't paying for a CEO, a Sporting Director, a Video Analyst, a Sports Scientist and what appears to be 2 assistant team managers who are moving the club backwards on and off the park.  We have a bigger senior staff contingent now than we had when at our most successful, and are now at our worst in nigh on 20 years.

The Youth setup, I believe, is now a separate entity from the club and does not draw any financial resource from it.  The same goes for our Community section.  The club can take little/no credit for that these days (other than use if the name), but they do, and lack of transparency on how it all works allows that to happen.

It's not as if all of this just started happening.  As others have said, the decline has been 7/8 years in the making.  This is not a knee jerk reaction from fans, and there are zero positive signs of change.  The current Chairman, Board and CEO have been in place for long enough now to get past any honeymoon/bedding in period and it is clear that they are not willing, or not capable, of halting the decline, let alone reversing it.

For me, enough is enough.

Edited by STFU
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

19 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

The P&J also quoted the Club saying "if we could have a strong and relevant supporters group going forward, it would be very helpful".  As fans, we need to hold the Club to these statements. If fans can get behind the Supporters Trust then that would seem to be the best way to get a constructive dialogue between the Club and the supporters and to get these issues addressed.  If the Trust had the backing of a large proportion of the fan base, then I am sure the club would not get away with cancelling the sponsors' night or failing to follow up on season-ticket renewals, for example. In the longer term, what we need is fans' representation on the Club Board. The Supporters Trust is the obvious channel for that, but it would need the Trust to be significantly stronger than it is now for that to ever happen. The bottom line here is that the stronger the Supporters Trust is, the better the communication with the club will be. The Trust is trying to get the concerns of funds addressed.  If fans don't get behind the Trust and join it, it will simply give the Club an excuse not to address the very issues that fans are complaining about.

If that quote from the club is correct and completely in context, then it is worrying.

I am guessing it came from the CEO as it sounds like the kind of verbiage he has used in the past. If so, then exactly what does this employee of the club, which is owned by its underlying shareholders define as a "strong and relevant" group? If we assume that the season ticket base is somewhere between 1000 and 2000 as often quoted, then is the definition of "strong" or "relevant" 10% 20% or 50% of that number? Who has arbitrarily decided the level or does it vary depending on how accountable you choose to be? Does an organisation with 200 paid members and a minimum 10% voting right in the organisation for which this employee works cut it? no? 500 members with the same 10% right? If so why the delineation based on number rather than voting share?  We (CTO) have - on average - 5000 unique 'real people' per month visiting the site when you exclude anonymous visits, bots, search engines etc. Are we strong or relevant? or, as has been levied at us in the past are we just a bunch of whingeing naysayers in the eyes of some folks and happy clappers in the eyes of others? Are sizeable numbers of Twitter and Facebook users relevant even though not organised into a single cohesive group? Social media postings, even on an individual basis if strong enough can often cause policy changes in even the biggest companies. What about Podcast listeners? or Travel Club members? or section 94? all of whom seem to be relevant to the club sometimes and not others. Bottom line is that when enough people from all of these disparate 'groups' are unhappy about the situation then the powers that be should really take notice. Whether you are a proponent of the Trust or see issue with it, it doesnt really matter, the reality is that the survey is an excellent document and one that the club would be ludicrously stupid to ignore or write off just because it says what they don't want to hear.   

7 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I suppose an issue is also that we came from the bottom and saw winning and entertaining football for many years and appeared to be consolidating a top league position. We have dropped a level and the fare has too. I often have comparison thoughts between Pele and Dodds which brings on a shiver !! I will be ICT tillidie but the main source of my anger is that the club are ignoring the support. It is clear that there is a broken dressing room and nothing has actually changed or even looked like changing. And where has the cash gone from the Cup run. It has helped balance the books which is a success for some. Fraid that this forum - and probably the survey - is populated by the pi$hed off and I would love to hear the views of the faithful and the yoof 😪

The highlighted bit is the money shot here IMHO. We have been through all of the highs and lows together and for most of it we showed "TogetherNESS" as the old cliche went ... but sometimes during our 29-year history, we have gone it alone with the support and club badly misaligned. These have typically been the deepest lows and the club at those times has become more and more insular thinking it protects itself if it does not communicate. This is the worst I have seen communication in my memory and to be sure, it does NOTHING to protect the club, just alienates more and more people. For fans to not even get a reply from the SLO or when fans send generic emails with zero controversy and those are still ignored, is unacceptable and if we were ever to aim for the premiership again, this would also pose a problem for achieving UEFA club licensing for the top division. Its not that hard. You start with the small stuff. reply to emails and engage the support. Perhaps one day you can graduate to multiple paragraphs or regular communications? 

5 hours ago, STFU said:

I want to, once again, feel like I am a part of the club and that the contribution fans make is valued and directed towards improving the overall experience.  That experience is not just results, it includes matchday, fan engagement (particularly with younger fans), and something which we can take pride in.

^ this 💯 %

5 hours ago, STFU said:

I don't have the time to give to, or faith in, the Supporters Trust.  Sadly they exhibit many of the things we see in the club.  An anonymous leader who only seems happy to put their name/face to the successes (the survey results), a lack of connect with the fanbase, the poor us "we're only a small team trying hard" excuse given whenever challenged, etc.  When you look back to people like David Sutherland, Peter Murphy and Don Johnstone, you always felt like they were working to improve things, be that initiatives with the club or calling them out on shortcomings.  They were visible, available and engaging.  Strange, or maybe not, that you no longer see or hear from them?!

You are entitled to your opinion, but I can't really agree with this. Over the last 29 years there have been various incarnations of official supporters' organisations with varying names. The commonality between them is that they were always run by unpaid volunteers, who have the club in their heart. Is it the same group of people? yes, quite frequently its the same names in the frame every year, but that's because these are often the only ones stepping up.  Do those people become jaded after a while? absolutely - talking from experience on that one. You can only bang your head against a brick wall so often. In the case of specific individuals you mention, yes, they did a good/great job of engagement either while volunteers or in some cases while in the employ of the club, but I think in those cases life happened with job changes, moving houses etc. or they also banged heads against brick walls, so they no longer actively participate.  

5 hours ago, STFU said:

I get what you say about boycotting businesses, but I feel it's the only option left to me.  My hope?  That if the club won't listen to fans, then they might start listening if/when other income streams start drying up.  The club's actions already mean fewer eyes on ad boards and strips, so no fans, no value to businesses in paying for these things.  Include the failed concert shambles and the reputational damage caused there, and even the most resolute of optimists can surely see that the threat to corporate support already exists, I'm just being more direct in the (small) hope that someone who can change things realises before it's too late.

Again, you are entitled to show your displeasure how you want, and it is perhaps wrong of me to comment in either direction given that, other than the player sponsorship (for last season, or for the season just started) which we have heard nothing about since the end of the season, I have very little commercial interaction with the club or local businesses except when visiting. Wholeheartedly agree about the concert debacle and to this day I wonder why they never looked to talk with (or perhaps they did?) someone like Les Kidger or Kenny Cameron who had previously run successful concerts either at the stadium, as a (CK Events) partnership, or on their own. 

5 hours ago, STFU said:

There are already people on the board propping up the club financially.  I don't believe lack of resource is the issue, it's the misuse of that resource that finds us where we are.  Just think of how much more could be filtered towards the team and improving infrastructure if we weren't paying for a CEO, a Sporting Director, a Video Analyst, a Sports Scientist and what appears to be 2 assistant team managers who are moving the club backwards on and off the park.  We have a bigger senior staff contingent now than we had when at our most successful, and are now at our worst in nigh on 20 years.

indeed. All seems very unsustainable. 

5 hours ago, STFU said:

The Youth setup, I believe, is now a separate entity from the club and does not draw any financial resource from it.  The same goes for our Community section.  The club can take little/no credit for that these days (other than use if the name), but they do, and lack of transparency on how it all works allows that to happen.

Think it has pretty much been like that for a few years hasn't it? 

5 hours ago, STFU said:

It's not as if all of this just started happening.  As others have said, the decline has been 7/8 years in the making.  This is not a knee jerk reaction from fans, and there are zero positive signs of change.  The current Chairman, Board and CEO have been in place for long enough now to get past any honeymoon/bedding in period and it is clear that they are not willing, or not capable, of halting the decline, let alone reversing it.

For me, enough is enough.

Getting to that point too.  For me, one of the best (worst) examples of where we wasted money we didn't need to, was Pixellot or whatever it was called. Through the years with volunteers like Don and Andy and others ICT built a pretty good (dare I say award winning) social and broadcast media team, but it seems that this was not really good enough for some as volunteers are (and to an extent always have been) viewed with suspicion at ICT. "What are you after?", "Why are you doing this?", "What's in it for you?". Some people can't grasp that volunteers can simply be in it because they want what's best for their club and are willing to put in time or services if they cant pour in hard cash. In the end we chose to replace that perfectly good arrangement of Andy doing the excellent camera and editing work with a baldy headed social media moment that still does the rounds on social media and not in a good way. Why did we do it? Was it because the perfectly good system in place needed replacing? or was it more to do with it not being an idea that came from a specific source? That ethos is a sure recipe for failure and its painful to watch.       

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 9

Wise words Scotty. I’ve kind of bucked the trend here as I had a spurt of optimism at the end of the season, despite having been in the Dodds Out camp, or rather the Gers Lite Loyal Lackeys GTF camp for most of the season. 
So I bought a season ticket for the first time in many years, because I can afford it, although it’ll only get used 2 or 3 times. I only come up for home games nowadays if I’m staying over, or if there’s a deal on the trains. I was up for the Bonnyrigg game and the season so far has echoes of 2016-17.
Going to mostly away games means the club doesn’t get any benefit although I try to buy the merch. I’m not convinced that boycotting solves anything as it appears that the business is on a knife edge anyway and the only road that leads is part time fitba and the seaside leagues, or worse. I’m in agreement with STFU and others that change is urgently required but as for what I’m going to do, if there was any kind of campaign worth joining, great, but otherwise I’ve no idea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

if there was any kind of campaign worth joining, great, but otherwise I’ve no idea.

For me, I think the best option - whether some agree with the organisation and its current leadership or not - is to make the Supporters' Trust "strong and relevant". Call out that statement for the BS it is!! An inbuilt voting share of 10% plus the potential to have other supporters to perhaps proxy their personal shareholdings to the Trust may be the quickest and possibly most effective way to have a voice heard. 

I hear the arguments made, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for those who decry the lack of communication from the club, then the Supporters Trust is at least communicating on here in this forum, and has been reasonably often, as well as the subforum they asked us to setup (https://caleythistleonline.com/forum/152-supporters-trust/) and it should be noted that they also just setup their own feedback forum on the back of the report: https://www.ictsupporterstrust.org/forum

Only issue I have is I don't use credit card for personal online purchases and there does not appear to be a PayPal or alternate payment option otherwise I would be reporting now that I have joined already because the 'strong and relevant' comment has tipped the scales for me.    

• Well Said 3
  • Thoughtful 1

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic