FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Brew or Robbo which do you prefer

Scarlet Pimple

Now, with due hindsight in your foresight which Manager do you thgink would be best, better, for ICT if you had the choice right now?

Who woudlyou pick.

From my limited knowledge of Mr Robertson 's past perhaps he would make a better Manager than Brew whereas Brew may well still have it in him to be the top inspiring player we all know he can bee.

By the way, I did hobnob once with the son of Tommy Walker of past  Hearts fame . He worked with me in Edinburgh in my dim past.Is that importan LOL ?

Anybody remember or know Tommy Walker senior? A legend to match Robbo I will warrant.

Its very hard to compare them ......

Robbo did an excellent job getting us to the first division title and Bell's Cup win but results tanked when we were promoted to the SPL. He has a decent record overall, but the worst SPL record of any of our managers (Robbo, Brew, CC, Brew).

Was it because we had a better side than the Div 1 teams but not as good as the SPL ones ? Was it because we were playing at Pittodrie ? Were we overawed in our first few weeks in the SPL ? Or was it because he had the players but not the tactics ? As he hasnt exactly set the heather on fire in his multiple jobs after leaving us, maybe he wasnt as good as we thought and it was actually the players that made him look good ?

He is rumoured to be in the frame for the Gretna job once Dunfermline sack Kenny and appoint Irons with Kenny going back to Derry so once again we might see if he has the tactics to survive in the SPL if that happens.

With Brew our players were fitter than ever before and we definitely punched above our weight as they say. Again, you have to give the players credit for this and wonder (as we have done) about the manager tactics and substitutions. The bonus we had first time round with Brew was Brew the Player as we got a quality striker who has scored goals wherever he has gone as well as a manager.

On balance, I would give Brewster the edge over Robbo. He may not be as personable as Robbo but his SPL stats (at ICT) are far better.

As I type this though, it has given me a rekindled realisation that a lot of our success is despite our managers rather than because of them and a huge amount of credit must go to our players.

Our players did well in Division 1 but not so good in the SPL when promoted - maybe because they were adjusting to the new league. Once the players adapted to the SPL they performed well under whichever manager we had and when first Robbo and then Brew left for "greener pastures" they found themselves at clubs where their new players just didnt perform for them in the way that ICT ones did. Look at Robbo's multiple jobs since leaving ICT, or Brewster's record at DUFC and how he has already done better at ICT in a handful of games than he did in 30+ at the Arabs ... dont these events just speak for themselves ?

I think that the first time around, on the park Brew did inspire a few players with his own presence and displays. A stabilising influence and something to emulate (i.e strive for) .

But for the players to master his attitude, techniques and experience overnight was a tall order. With Brew now seemingly getting the message that he should concentrate on the Manager's side of things he can only rely on his own tactics working with the current team. And unless he steadies the defence nothing may work satisfactorily anyway.