FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

We Need A Hardman

Renegade

Here's something you never see anyone mention but is still desperatley needed, a hardman. Almost all of the most successful teams are built around them. You could argue that Russell Duncan and Ross Tokely are the "hard men" of ICT but they're hardly thuggish in the Roy Keane, Fernando Ricksen, Terry Butcher kinda way and with Ian Black offski it's desperatley needed. Anyone got any ideas on who'd be a good hardman signing for next season?

Edited by Renegade

I think the days of 'hardmen' have gone from the game, the fact that the playing days of the players mentioned are all memories to us oldies, tells a tale.

Modern teams can have an Ian amongst their rank, an annoyance, but as we appreciate there is more of a skilled player than a hardman inside the wee man.

I think it is the way the modern game has gone, I enjoyed the old days with heavier challenges being accepted, but the referees are very quick on the cards now and your 'hardman' would miss a lot of the playing season and teams cannot afford this luxury.

Guest natasha

In the first half Blackie seemed to be on a mission to kick as many opponents as possible.

Duncan spent a lot of time either flapping his arms about attempting to fly or chaseing the referee in an attempt to pass the time of day. rather than the ball!!!!!!!!!

I think the days of 'hardmen' have gone from the game, the fact that the playing days of the players mentioned are all memories to us oldies, tells a tale.

Modern teams can have an Ian amongst their rank, an annoyance, but as we appreciate there is more of a skilled player than a hardman inside the wee man.

I think it is the way the modern game has gone, I enjoyed the old days with heavier challenges being accepted, but the referees are very quick on the cards now and your 'hardman' would miss a lot of the playing season and teams cannot afford this luxury.

How about Palacios of Tottenham or Brown of Celtic those teams are built around them and i think we need one.

Er, Tokely?

SPL 'Bad Boys' list

Bamba - Hibernian - 9 yellows 1 red

Pascali - Killie - 11 yellows 0 reds

Tokely - Inverness 10 yellows 0 red's

He's a player that would look less out of place in a wrestling ring. And Imrie isn't a 'hardman', just a sulky wee child. I'd rather go for more technically gifted players over someone who'll kick the living crepe out of everybody.

Edited by Beatonio

So Tokely practically battered Steven McGarry on the pitch last season and he isn't considered a hard man hahaha.

I wonder if Pavels mayb'e has a dark side to him.

Imrie is no hard man, just a cheeky poser.

Would have to agree Renegade a hardman is required for this team.

Given his record and your undying love for him i take it your going to suggest Kevin Muscat?

So Tokely practically battered Steven McGarry on the pitch last season and he isn't considered a hard man hahaha.

I wonder if Pavels mayb'e has a dark side to him.

Imrie is no hard man, just a cheeky poser.

Would have to agree Renegade a hardman is required for this team.

Given his record and your undying love for him i take it your going to suggest Kevin Muscat?

Tokely's maybe the "hardman" of ICT but I wouldn't say he was anywhere near as thuggish as the likes of Fernando Ricksen. Imrie is not a harman in any way, shape or form, just a wee ned.

I knew someone so going to mention Muscat cause of that other thread. I wouldn't call it undying love but I admire him a great deal. I admire his passion, his pressence, his determination, his leadership on the park, and if you manage to be captain of a team like Millwall, and then manage to take then to the FA Cup Final then you must have something. He's really the hardman of hardmen. Apparently he's out of contract just now and he'd be exactly what ICT need and hopefully Butcher know's this. After all he did say that if he could sign any player at all, Muscat would be who he would sign. Sign him up Butcher!

• 1 month later...

No, I don't see Dougie as a hardman either. We need a Kenny Burns, Tommy Smith or Norman Hunter type to scare the daylights out of opposing forwards. Perhaps I'm in a 1970s timewarp here though.

:rotflmao:

We don't need a hard man as much as we need a 30 goals per season striker, a free kick taker like Juninhio and Wayne Bridge. Hard men don't work in the SPL anyway because most SPL players are pretty stupid but strong, which is why a lot of it is dross. Hardmen need good players to intimidate. It's just not going to be as much fun telling Jim Hamilton your going to snap him as it would Ronaldo.

How about Palacios of Tottenham or Brown of Celtic those teams are built around them and i think we need one.

:rotflmao: :thumb04: :018:

He craps it whenever even the slightest challenge is put in on him, even Duncan bosses him. His annoying flappy style of play is 100% down to Neil Lennon from what I've seen from Celtic this year, which admittedly has only been games against us and the Champions League matches.

Agree with above posts, the 'hardman' character is no longer required, teams will always need a bit of dig in the midfield and teams will always need players who arent afraid to put in a challenge. All of our defenders get the balance about right in a slightly more athletic Bobby Mann mold.

I think we have to go back a few seasons to when we had Hislop and Keogh in the team to find players who would try and intimidate, both fancied themselves as 'hardman' types, and both were let go in the SPL for being ineffective, it doesnt work.