FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

SHEEP on trail of Caley's hitmen

WYNESS101

Probably other managers have the same idea. Not to say we'll lose any. I reckon if RF was offered a deal to stay with us in SPL he'd jump at it. He is both loyal to the shirt he wears and to Terry. If we can persuade our squad to wait till the seasons end, and we go up, I'm sure many will stay.

This is the folly of such short-term contracts AGAIN. I know the arguments are:

1) we don't know which division we'll be in

2) a player might not want to sign a longer contract

3) we had our fingers burnt with Barrowman

4) we don't have the money for contracts

To which I'd say:

1) offer contracts with promotion and relegation clauses. Standard practice.

2) We could offer Foran, Rooney, Cox, Hayes etc 3-years of security. They may or may not want it but at least give him the choice! It's ridiculous these players haven't been offered contracts this late into the season.

3) We've also had our fingers burnt with Black, Cowie, Rankin, Imrie, Hastings etc etc etc who have all left for free or well below market value. And this time, we know how Tokely, Duncan, Munro, Foran etc are going to play. With Hayes, Sanchez or whoever else we'd like to keep, when it's obvious they're a player, offer a contract early. If they don't want to stay, let THEM make the choice. Don't leave it until it's too late.

4) Mostly the points combined above. Unless we're going to cease trading next season, we're going to need players. Tokely, Hayes, Munro etc etc are probably going to be offered new contracts at the end. These will probably be much the same value as at Xmas time. Why not offer them then? Knowing they have an extra incentive (a promotion clause) will probably keep them keen going to the end. It's sheer luck Foran and Hayes, for instance, haven't signed pre-contracts. Imagine how committed (unconsciously of course) they might be knowing they're going to the SPL anyway, no matter how well the play.

If McGhee does sign up Foran, Hayes and Sanchez for nothing, whilst Tokely, Proctor (is he out of contract?), Duncan and Cox all go to Motherwell, Hamilton or whoever for zero, who should take the blame?

That's right. The board again, for once more, failing to learn from past mistakes. It's like :lol:

Probably other managers have the same idea. Not to say we'll lose any. I reckon if RF was offered a deal to stay with us in SPL he'd jump at it. He is both loyal to the shirt he wears and to Terry. If we can persuade our squad to wait till the seasons end, and we go up, I'm sure many will stay.

I sincerely hope we can hang on to our better players but having our best players available to speak to other clubs is sheer lunacy if you ask me. Nowadays football is centred around money and we could potentially lose thousands of pounds of potential transfer fees by not having our better players tied to contracts.

Why this club doesnt feel it necessary to protect its assets remains a mystery to me.

Why is it that everybody blames the club for not dishing out bigger contracts. Some of the players/agents might have said no to longer contracts. Short term contracts to see how it all pans out was maybe the way to go. Players will come and go all the time, and there is not a jot we can do to stop it. It is irritating, but as sure as bears will sh**e in the woods, then players will come and go.

Ross County seem to be able to tie up every single member of their squad bar two players. Why isnt it that we cant?

Do you honestly think the only reason we only have 3 players signed for next season is because the players/agents have rejected contract offers?

I understand that players will come and go but we could potentially lose an entire first team squad for nothing. Doesnt really make financial sense does it?

I think the fact that the board persuaded TB and MM to sign up for another season will be a considerable influence to all who are out of contract in the summer - especially if we get back into the SPL.

If it's good enough for TB...... etc, etc...

Our players are smarter than theirs. Our players will be wanted men, who will be wanting County's players? If they signed longer contracts they will be more difficult to move on, and then they would be tied to us on cheapskate contracts playing for peanuts. The players and their agents will be trying to get the most suitable deals for themselves. The likes of Foran, Hayes, Cox etc will find clubs more willing to offer them better wages without having to buy out any contract. Rooney, although being the star striker, will have to be bought.

"Do I honestly think.......". Not really, but I am also not making the assumption that it is all the clubs fault.

Blame that Bosman fellow, it's all his fault.

I don't want to make Rooney's achievements any less brilliant but quite frankly he couldn't hack the spl last time, Aberdeen won't be stupid enough to make that mistake. In my opinion, Hayes is in the same boat, yes, he has shredded the first division but can he hack the spl? I dont think we should worry, Terry should be able to persuade them to stay as Hayes might still have been playing non-league football were it not for him. If we dont go up, then Foran might be harder to keep. He has Proven his quality in the spl and has been our star this year, when he's not in the team, we dont look convincing.

If we don't offer contracts then our team is going to be torn apart again. It took them a few months to gel this season - we will be back to square one - no matter which division we are in.

I don't want to make Rooney's achievements any less brilliant but quite frankly he couldn't hack the spl last time, Aberdeen won't be stupid enough to make that mistake. In my opinion, Hayes is in the same boat, yes, he has shredded the first division but can he hack the spl? I dont think we should worry, Terry should be able to persuade them to stay as Hayes might still have been playing non-league football were it not for him. If we dont go up, then Foran might be harder to keep. He has Proven his quality in the spl and has been our star this year, when he's not in the team, we dont look convincing.

Is the gulf between Div1 and the SPL really that great?

Don't forget we knocked a decent Motherwell side out the cup, County knocked Hibs out, Raith Rovers took out Aberdeen....

Our players are smarter than theirs. Our players will be wanted men, who will be wanting County's players? If they signed longer contracts they will be more difficult to move on, and then they would be tied to us on cheapskate contracts playing for peanuts. The players and their agents will be trying to get the most suitable deals for themselves. The likes of Foran, Hayes, Cox etc will find clubs more willing to offer them better wages without having to buy out any contract. Rooney, although being the star striker, will have to be bought.

"Do I honestly think.......". Not really, but I am also not making the assumption that it is all the clubs fault.

Blame that Bosman fellow, it's all his fault.

I would say the likes of Gardyne and Lawson and Brittain are assets who could command a fee and if a club does want them then County have sensibly protected their assets. Quite a few of our major assets are out of contract and therefore not protected and we are stuffed if a club comes in for them. Our players will be wanted men so the club should protect its assets, not leave them free to speak to whoever they want. I believe the Bosman system is good for players but clubs could and should be able to tie up their assets before they can speak to other teams.

It is great for a player to be playing well in the promotion chase while coming to the end of their contract, they have the potential to get a new contract here or hold out for more money somewhere else. This is not a good position for a club to be in as the player holds all the cards.

Should we as a club not offer long contracts to players so that they can get a more suitable deal somewhere else? Thats just leaves our club open for anyone to strip our assets

We as a club can only grow by increasing our bank balance. This will not be happen if we continue to let players leave on the cheap or for no fee.

Consider this regarding our players contracts. We are a medium sized business, running a tight ship but progressing well. However we have the chance of getting a massive one year contract that would transform the business. Without knowing you are going to get the contract, do you increase everyones wage on the basis of we might get it. If you do Yahoo, everyones happy. But if you dont you have hammered in your own nails to the coffin, paying your employees unsustainable amount of money it could be the end of your business, or put you back many years if you survive. So the majority of businessmen would likely tempt those workers with what it could be like if they were to pull together to get that contract. Give them a target to aim for. It is a chance you take, but if you do get it and others offer your employees more money to join them, do you jump ship from the happy environment you know??

Only very few would jump ship, and at the end of the day they would jump ship anyway. Its a chance you have to take. Many teams have awarded contracts thinking they would be competing at a better level, only to lose out and suffer. Look at Clyde FC seven years on.

Players will be doing everything possible to get the carrot of the SPL, as they can all see that when reneging their contract, they will get offered more to actually be there, rather than now thinking we could be there!!

I hear what you are saying, but, the club can not force any player to sign a contract. They are not really our assetts, they are playing for their own pockets and we benefit from that while they are here. In an ideal world we would keep them and we would go on to win the SPL and European Cup, but in reality they are lining their own pockets and when they think they deserve more then we either offer them a new contract or they move on.

I don't see where County are protecting their assetts. They are more likely keeping players at the club on small wages, but will the players regret that or will they grin and bare it. If the players are top drawer, then I doubt they will want to commit themselves to playing for low wages, whilst the prospect of another club buying them diminishes because they would have to fork out to get them. It can work both ways I fear. Letting players leave on the cheap, I'm not so sure we can do much about it. You would think that between them somebody at the club would have the nous to get the best deal all round, surely fans on a football forum don't know better.......or do they?

Anyway, if they are really good players, they won't be playing for County or us, they will be offski to the bright lights.

I hear what you are saying, but, the club can not force any player to sign a contract. They are not really our assetts, they are playing for their own pockets and we benefit from that while they are here. In an ideal world we would keep them and we would go on to win the SPL and European Cup, but in reality they are lining their own pockets and when they think they deserve more then we either offer them a new contract or they move on.

Agreed that we cannot force a player to stay although i think that players are assets as some will have a saleable value. I think the club and team is always more important than the player, ultimately we should be doing everything we can to maximise the return we get from a player be it performances or transfer fees.

It can work both ways I fear. Letting players leave on the cheap, I'm not so sure we can do much about it. You would think that between them somebody at the club would have the nous to get the best deal all round, surely fans on a football forum don't know better.......or do they?

i dont profess to know more than the men in charge but just hate to see us lose players for nothing when we could have had a fee and it seems to happen a lot with us

Anyway, if they are really good players, they won't be playing for County or us, they will be offski to the bright lights.

cant disagree with that. i just hope we can get some financial recompense when/if they move on

heard this a few days back. no point offering contracts at this late stage anyway until we know where we are and i would hope the players would have the sense to avoid a pre-contract at this stage too so that they can hopefully accept improved terms from us in the spl or see all their options available

Consider this regarding our players contracts. We are a medium sized business, running a tight ship but progressing well. However we have the chance of getting a massive one year contract that would transform the business. Without knowing you are going to get the contract, do you increase everyones wage on the basis of we might get it.

No, but you offer a reasonable salary with a clause giving extra cash for getting that contract (i.e. promotion)

So the majority of businessmen would likely tempt those workers with what it could be like if they were to pull together to get that contract. Give them a target to aim for.

But there isn't an incentive, other than you MIGHT get a contract. A promotion clause is an incentive. Not "we dunno what's gonna happen"

Its a chance you have to take.

No it's not.

I hear what you are saying, but, the club can not force any player to sign a contract.

Who's forcing? Were we wrong to not offer Black a new contract a year before the last one expired? I'd say 'yes'. He may not have signed it but then again, he might. Until it's offered, the fault is the Board's for taking away that choice.

They are not really our assetts, they are playing for their own pockets and we benefit from that while they are here. In an ideal world we would keep them and we would go on to win the SPL and European Cup, but in reality they are lining their own pockets and when they think they deserve more then we either offer them a new contract or they move on.

Move on for nothing, or a transfer fee?

They can be short, medium or long-term assets. For instance, at Xmas time, would Johnny Hayes

a) have signed a longer deal with a promotion clause, given that he later allegedly asked for a contract and was playing first team football for the first time in his life?

b. Given that this is Hayes first ever season of first team professional football, is it likely his demands would be reasonable?

c) Will ICT benefit from a couple more years of Hayes developing?

d) Is there possibly even a chance of a lucrative transfer fee?

e) Will Hayes be offered a contract at the end of the season, whether we are in the SPL or SFL?

As the answers are mostly yes, or probably, then why have we not offered a contract early? He wanted to sign one, he's good enough for us and will develop further, plus we are almost certainly going to offer a contract at the end of the season. Now, he can leave for nothing. We have to find another player. It's not easy, especially when he is so young and therefore almost certainly cheap. I just cannot see the logic of not at least offering a contract with incentives to perform for a player we will be keen to keep, no matter what.

You would think that between them somebody at the club would have the nous to get the best deal all round, surely fans on a football forum don't know better.......or do they?

Then it was right to keep Brewster until virtually the end of the transfer window? It was right not to offer Black a new contract until well into his final year? In fact, Brewster (or Burley) should know more about running a team than a few fans, so was it wrong to call for their heads?

That's maybe ICT's big weakness right now - there's three main players and no-one to replace them with. Lets say Rooney, Foran and Hayes were all injured in the next game, who would replace them? If that was to happen, ICT would be well and truly screwed. That horse-show shaped section of players are what is driving ICT right now, and if any of those three were to be removed, the team isn't half as good. Look at what happened last week when Foran was out. The team was unrecognisable and not a patch on usual. Take one of them out, and the game gets even harder.

Every year we have the "If we lose X player/s we're doomed", but for the most part we always seem to find replacements.

Biggest screw up we've made in that regard was losing Bayne, Dargo, Wyness & Niculae in (fairly) quick succession and replacing them with Barrowman!!!....and we've never really replaced Dods, but seem to have muddled through with short term solutions.

Who's to say McGhee will even be manager of Aberdeen next seaon.

Though i do think we need to start talking to players about new deals, Foran, Hayes, Tokely and Esson need to get spoken too asap.