FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

same old celtic poppies

northstandfan

a few of you will know, celtic have banned poppies from being sold around parkhead

(extract from the news of the world)

Celtic have banned a charity from selling poppies at Parkhead for Remembrance Sunday .

Now fund-raisers are hoping that hoops chairman John Reid - former defence Secretary - will overturn the ruling.

The ban follows protests by supporters who claim poppies are " hugely insensitive " to Irish fans.

The Poppy Appeal,with its 48 member charities,helps raise millions for war veterans injured in active service.

A charity insider said : " We've never been turned away by any of the big clubs and we find it shocking that Celtic would implement this ban " .

Our welfare work is a lifeline for thousands.We hope Mr Reid will reconsider ".

About 100 fans walked out of a match in 2008 when players wore poppies on their shirts.

But most of the 50,000 fans joined a one-minute round of applause to mark the anniversary of the end of WWI.

A Celtic spokesman said " We don't do collections in the grounds for anything "

its a disgrace, same old celtic

Technically speaking they have not been banned from selling them, they've just not been given permission, and that is in-keeping with Celtics policy of not allowing collections for anything.

There's nothing to stop them getting permission to collect beyond the area controlled by the club on the approaches to the ground.

Crivvens! I knew some of their fans were insensitive morons as regards Remembrance Day. Pretty shocked to find it's supported by the Board.

And a board including John Reid, who as Defence Secretary in the Blair government was directly involved in sending our forces into Afghanistan in support of the US, but promising that they were going out there in a reconstruction role and would not be under any serious threat. "Not a shot would be fired" he announced.

How many have been killed in that hell hole since then?

Feck knows why the poppies would be deemed insensitive to the Irish. History actually tells us that despite Irelands neutral stance during the World Wars, a disproportinate amount of Irish men signed up to fight for the British Army!

If they're going to start complaining about unjust foreign wars, perhaps they can look a bit closer to home...say a certain chairman of their bigoted club?

Honestly, most people in this whole country were against Iraq - biggest protest march ever! Bigger than the suffragettes, bigger than the poll tax. Yet, these idiots seem to think a poppy means support for the government?

Morons

Just more proof if ever it was needed that the Old Firm FANS are backward thinking and cant let go off the past. And its that kind of mentality that is at the fore in problem areas like the middle east, Ireland etc etc. Its going to take hundreds, maybe even thousands of years, to breed out that hatred and intolerance from the generations

Edited by SMEE

The 'green brigade' are quite simply the scum of the earth. Most of their banners have nothing to do with football. Stick your boring 1920s Irish politics, latin american communism, papal visit commemeration, middle eastern border disputes and basque separatism up your @rse you fecking eedjits. Most of us in Inverness, Perth, Ayrshire etc go to watch the football FOR THE FOOTBALL.

Don't beat about the bush, kid.... Give it to 'em straight. Tell it like it is.

We just don't need their kind of cr@ap here in Scotland.

Oh, and have a green dot.

I laugh when people on this forum call Old Firm fans backwards. Have a look at yourselves. Stupid ol' ********.

The Green Brigade have made statement after Statement regarding the poppies yet why is it, it never gets released by the press? In short, they say people have FREEDOM to wear the poppy if they like. They have no problem if people want to wear one. But, a Club like Celtic who are supported by people from different faiths and countries should not be wearing a poppy on their top.

You can all shove your poppy fascism up your arses tbh and say what you want. A lot of you say i talk pish, well, you go anywhere else in Scotland and i bet you lot will look the bunch of complete morons. Thinking that everyone must wear a poppy of support the poppy? Get a grip. Men who fought in the World Wars gave up their lives so we can choose to wear something if we want or not. I remember the men who died in WW1 and WW2 on rememberance sunday but i will not, and i refuse to remember those who died in wars such as Falklands, Iraq and N.I as they fought in wars that should never have come to pass.

Starchief, if you bothered to stop being so fecking bias and ignorant you would realise that The Green Brigade have been against John Reid from the very beginning. Whos the real moron? They do not believe the poppy supports the Government. We know that they remember men who fought in wars that resulted in the death of innocent people. The same innocent people that relations support Celtic Football Club. Especially in regards to the Conflict in Northern Ireland.

**** this forum. It's a pile of *****. If someone has a different point of view etc then they are shot down. Scotland is full of small minded idiots. Call me, The Green Brigade and Celtic fans what you want, the real small minded people are you lot.

Shove your poppy fascism up your up-tight-arses.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 28

Technically speaking they have not been banned from selling them, they've just not been given permission, and that is in-keeping with Celtics policy of not allowing collections for anything.

Celtic had collections for the likes of Jimmy Johnstone at their ground in recent years.

**** this forum. It's a pile of *****. If someone has a different point of view etc then they are shot down. Scotland is full of small minded idiots. Call me, The Green Brigade and Celtic fans what you want, the real small minded people are you lot.

Clearly someone has said something which makes your bloo boil.

• Agree 1

Dornoch Caley, the wearing of poppies is in support of those who are prepared to sacrifice their lives in whatever cause our Government deems to be appropriate. In many ways the poppies are even more appropriate for soldiers who have lost their lives in some of the more recent conflicts because some of those who lost their lives probably did not support the wars themselves. They showed support for their country by doing what their democratically elected Government felt appropriate and put their duty to their country ahead of their own views.

It is those who we remember by wearing the poppies who you can thank for giving you the freedom to fire off such an aggressive tirade. You may not agree with others in this thread but that is no reason to be so insulting to those who happen to hold a different point of view.

Can I suggest an anger management course or maybe you should join the army? :tongueincheek:

Have a red poppy.

• Agree 3

Biased against Celtic? Of course I am - I support a provincial club. But just like the other half of the Old Firm, I support them in Europe. My real bias is against bigotry though. Celtic and Rangers support epitomise that but I also detest the homophobia other fans would shovel upon Brewster when he was our manager and cringe now that some of our fans do it.

I also came on to defend Celtic a little. It appears that poppies were on sale at Parkhead. It's been stated that Celtic will wear a poppy representation on their jersey. Celtic have also said they will ban those that brought in that disgraceful banner (I suspect that might be nigh on impossible but appreciate the gesture).

I know where the proceeds go to but I've never felt Remembrance Day was just geared towards either the British or soldiers/combatants. For me, it's about the loss of innocent lives in regards to the futility of war. Be that a Japanese child, a Rhodesian farm-help or a German wife. Oh yeah, or a Catholic family in Northern Ireland.

In fact, if there was one song to sum up Remembrance Day and all that the poppy means, it certainly wouldn't be Land of Hope & Glory. It would be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFXWVWNKDx8

As the person who uploaded the video said:

"In memory of those on all sides,who gave up there lives in the Great War,the war to end all wars...... you will NEVER be forgotton

They had no idea of the evil behind the ruling bloodlines,who sent them to be slaughtered like cattle.

WAKE UP HUMANITY AND STOP FIGHTING AND DYING FOR THESE COWARDLY SCUM"

Same message to those that died in Iraq, Northern Ireland and the Falklands "on all sides". That's what the poppy means to me.

• Agree 4

I laugh when people on this forum call Old Firm fans backwards. Have a look at yourselves. Stupid ol' ********.

The Green Brigade have made statement after Statement regarding the poppies yet why is it, it never gets released by the press? In short, they say people have FREEDOM to wear the poppy if they like. They have no problem if people want to wear one. But, a Club like Celtic who are supported by people from different faiths and countries should not be wearing a poppy on their top.

You can all shove your poppy fascism up your arses tbh and say what you want. A lot of you say i talk pish, well, you go anywhere else in Scotland and i bet you lot will look the bunch of complete morons. Thinking that everyone must wear a poppy of support the poppy? Get a grip. Men who fought in the World Wars gave up their lives so we can choose to wear something if we want or not. I remember the men who died in WW1 and WW2 on rememberance sunday but i will not, and i refuse to remember those who died in wars such as Falklands, Iraq and N.I as they fought in wars that should never have come to pass.

Starchief, if you bothered to stop being so fecking bias and ignorant you would realise that The Green Brigade have been against John Reid from the very beginning. Whos the real moron? They do not believe the poppy supports the Government. We know that they remember men who fought in wars that resulted in the death of innocent people. The same innocent people that relations support Celtic Football Club. Especially in regards to the Conflict in Northern Ireland.

Shove your poppy fascism up your up-tight-arses.

Yes, you've certainly convinced me! Have a dot. I'll let you guess which colour it is :biggrin:

• Agree 2