FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Next Season's Football Style

Renegade

Interesting comments coming from two of the new signings - 

"The most interesting thing is the style of football he wants to play, which I didn't expect at all." - Ben Greenhalgh

“Terry and Steve both spoke to me and I really liked the way they want to play football and move the club forward." - James Vincent

I hope it's not long ball they're talking about!  

Sounds promising though and we've always been a better team when we've played an attacking style, keeping the ball on the deck and out towards the wings.  Hopefully seeing more of that next season as opposed to that hit and hope rubbish we were served up the season the headless chickens Tansey and Tade were with us and will mean that next season is again, a good one.

Edited by Renegade

"The most interesting thing is the style of football he wants to play, which I didn't expect at all." - Ben Greenhalgh

It's crab football.

I used to love that game at the B B.s regardless of the splinters! Is it still played nowadays?

Any player caught playing a long ball should be immediately dropped. Any player caught playing a Scott Boyd style long ball should be transfer listed and immediately demoted to training with the under 15s.

Other than a couple of clearances when under pressure at the back, I don't recall a single "hoof" being played in the match versus Keith.

Even with the grass being a bit on the long side and holding up the ball on occasion, we (and Keith) played everything on the deck.  Good mixture of direct play (carrying the ball into the box) and spreading it wide and then whipping in balls with pace...both high and low...with a bit of pace and not just floating them in.

What was most notable, especially as it was the first pre-season match, was the pace we were playing at.  We kept the ball moving and there was lots of overlapping play...which is what Keith really struggled to cope with.

Was also pleasing to see us able to make 7 subs without needing to alter the formation or play players out of position....something we wouldn't have been able to do last season.

First game so not going to get carried away.  Still a few guys to get up to speed fitness wise, but saw nothing to give any cause for concern ahead of the new season...quite the opposite.

• Agree 5

Nice to hear Butcher saying in his latest interview that the goal next season is to attack, score goals and entertain.  Also, he seems to hint at playing Doran in the Andrew Shinnie role, which was speculated before, when he was given the number 10 jersey.

I'm sure I read the other week as well, that Butcher reckons McKay and Curtis Allen could develop into a good partnership next season.  Does that then suggest that there'll be a slight tactical shift with two up front becoming more common?  A 4-4-2 diamond perhaps?

That is my main concern in that Allen and McKay appear to be out and out scores and whether TB attempts to incorporate them in to the favoured 4-5-1 and plays one of them wide or in the "hole" - I hope that it is more of a case of 4-4-2 at home 4-5-1 away or able to interchange the systems would be even better - and achievable now.

CaleyD- what was the system yesterday ?

Nice to hear Butcher saying in his latest interview that the goal next season is to attack, score goals and entertain.  Also, he seems to hint at playing Doran in the Andrew Shinnie role, which was speculated before, when he was given the number 10 jersey.

I'm sure I read the other week as well, that Butcher reckons McKay and Curtis Allen could develop into a good partnership next season.  Does that then suggest that there'll be a slight tactical shift with two up front becoming more common?  A 4-4-2 diamond perhaps?

It's Mckay (small k)....as someone so hell bent on ensuring everything is spelled and presented correctly, you sure are looking unintelligent and unprofessional.

• Agree 1

That is my main concern in that Allen and McKay appear to be out and out scores and whether TB attempts to incorporate them in to the favoured 4-5-1 and plays one of them wide or in the "hole" - I hope that it is more of a case of 4-4-2 at home 4-5-1 away or able to interchange the systems would be even better - and achievable now.

I'd say we were using a fluid 4-4-2, moving from a flat formation to a diamond in the middle when LB/RB were pushing forward...akin to more traditional wingbacks.

I'd say we were using a fluid 4-4-2, moving from a flat formation to a diamond in the middle when LB/RB were pushing forward...akin to more traditional wingbacks.

Cheers and thanks for not pointing out my big K error - LOL

It's Mckay (small k)....as someone so hell bent on ensuring everything is spelled and presented correctly, you sure are looking unintelligent and unprofessional.

Every news article I've ever read, whether it be online, in a newspaper or even in the ICT programme and team lines have spelt it McKay.  Even the back of his shirt has it that way.  Now had I spelt it MacKay, you would have a point and before you point to his Twitter page, he's written his whole name in small caps....unless that's the right presentation as well!  :rolleyes:

One would have thought, that if it were a small k, then the name on his shirt would've been presented as "MCKAY"?

Whatever the spelling is (and I will concede if you know better), that the spelling I used was the correct one to use, due to the evidence I had at the time, particularly when it had come from official club publications (in the same way the programmes and the like, always spelt OTJ's middle name "Tudur" when many people on here and in the press at times, incorrectly spelt it "Tudor").

Edited by Renegade

I can't really see how I could have found a better source for the spelling, especially after looking at official ones.  Also, having never met the man (though I do see him walking by my house in a Linfield jersey from time to time :furtive: ), I haven't had a chance to ask him how he spells his name and even if I did, I doubt that'd be the first question I'd ask him!

Disagree with a couple of things mentioned here.

We started off with a 4-2-3-1 yesterday against Keith and ended up playing a 4-4-2 with Nick Ross teaming up with Mckay for a while as a front two.

The style of football was much the same as last season. Plenty of good passing with a few long balls thrown in to release players into space. The long balls certainly were not our first option which was good to see.

No disrespect meant to Keith but I don't think we should read too much into the match however there were some good signs from the guys and everyone seemed well drilled in their roles. Get the fitness up and I think we will be fine next season.