FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

John Hughes

Azgaz

I never really got fishing either. 

"here's my opinion" 

"I disagree" 

"ha ha, it wasn't really my opinion but you responded in a forum designed for conversations with different opinions"

:shrug:

I never really got fishing either. 

"here's my opinion" 

"I disagree" 

"ha ha, it wasn't really my opinion but you responded in a forum designed for conversations with different opinions"

:shrug:

Car crash at TCS :-)

I agree with virtually everything iamthecaptain says...except the idea that a slump was inevitable and the manager shouldn't be blamed.  Of course he should.  It's his job to select the tactics and personnel, along with team talks etc to make sure that doesn't happen.  Otherwise, why employ a manager.  Maybe Hughes will turn it around - we're still in a good position with a decent squad - but the buck stops with the manager.  He has to get us winning again to prove his worth, otherwise what's his salary for?

I'm not saying that Hughes is entirely blameless. I feel he should be doing more to put himself up as the manager, rather than the guy coming along to keep things ticking over with seamless transitions. But I do feel a little of what is happening is out with his, our any other managers control.

I also didn't say a slump was inevitable exactly, just that the signs were there that the slump in results was on it's way, as the form was dipping. Add injuries and suspensions to what in reality is a small and limited squad (remember that every player was free, and probably none of the ones who were signed were known without research). Sure they are a talented bunch of lads, but not so that they are immune to dips in form and results. Even Celtic who probably have players on wages akin to our whole 1st team put together have had dodgy patches.

Now is the time that Hughes has to earn his wages. He's come into teams normally who need a change in manager and nearly always has an upturn in results. However this is the 1st time where he's taken over a flying team (It's quite rare in any case) mid season just as a few cracks are beginning to show. All it takes is one little change and that can completely upset momentum.

To be honest, still not sure on hughes. For me the jury is still out. But I'm going to give him a chance and the benefit of the doubt for now. But we need a win before it becomes a run of bad form. And I cannot stand the idea of Butcher getting all smug and the idea that the success is 100% all because of him.

Pity that it didn't involve your tractor !

I don't have one !

Not surprised as you came across as a labouring peasant type. Perhaps you will steal one in the future. Oh Dear.

Anyway I will just have to ignore the now boring troll henceforth.

Agree that Hughes now has to start showing his worth but that has to be watered down by the fact that the side is being hit with the injuries and suspension which we all - specifically Butcher - knew was round the corner. What I am looking for from Hughes is his selections - hopefully changes - how he tries to adapt to the losses, less goals conceded and especially a feel of that togetherness factor. I also would like to see some sort of hint that he is now in charge and not following the suggestions of the Butcher era. I am not expecting anything great from his media chat as that was one thing that Butcher was a master at but hopefully Hughes will not point the finger at everybody else if the slump continues.

In all honesty I feel that any pluses in the next two games would raise hope but I am looking fer a marked improvement at Killie and two wins in the cups.

• Agree 1

I agree with virtually everything iamthecaptain says...except the idea that a slump was inevitable and the manager shouldn't be blamed.  Of course he should.  It's his job to select the tactics and personnel, along with team talks etc to make sure that doesn't happen.  Otherwise, why employ a manager.  Maybe Hughes will turn it around - we're still in a good position with a decent squad - but the buck stops with the manager.  He has to get us winning again to prove his worth, otherwise what's his salary for?

I'm not saying that Hughes is entirely blameless. I feel he should be doing more to put himself up as the manager, rather than the guy coming along to keep things ticking over with seamless transitions. But I do feel a little of what is happening is out with his, our any other managers control.

I also didn't say a slump was inevitable exactly, just that the signs were there that the slump in results was on it's way, as the form was dipping. Add injuries and suspensions to what in reality is a small and limited squad (remember that every player was free, and probably none of the ones who were signed were known without research). Sure they are a talented bunch of lads, but not so that they are immune to dips in form and results. Even Celtic who probably have players on wages akin to our whole 1st team put together have had dodgy patches.

Now is the time that Hughes has to earn his wages. He's come into teams normally who need a change in manager and nearly always has an upturn in results. However this is the 1st time where he's taken over a flying team (It's quite rare in any case) mid season just as a few cracks are beginning to show. All it takes is one little change and that can completely upset momentum.

To be honest, still not sure on hughes. For me the jury is still out. But I'm going to give him a chance and the benefit of the doubt for now. But we need a win before it becomes a run of bad form. And I cannot stand the idea of Butcher getting all smug and the idea that the success is 100% all because of him.

Forans no daft - he wants no part of it until it's time to pick up the pieces IMO

Pity that it didn't involve your tractor !

I don't have one !

Not surprised as you came across as a labouring peasant type. Perhaps you will steal one in the future. Oh Dear.

Anyway I will just have to ignore the now boring troll henceforth.

Agree that Hughes now has to start showing his worth but that has to be watered down by the fact that the side is being hit with the injuries and suspension which we all - specifically Butcher - knew was round the corner. What I am looking for from Hughes is his selections - hopefully changes - how he tries to adapt to the losses, less goals conceded and especially a feel of that togetherness factor. I also would like to see some sort of hint that he is now in charge and not following the suggestions of the Butcher era. I am not expecting anything great from his media chat as that was one thing that Butcher was a master at but hopefully Hughes will not point the finger at everybody else if the slump continues.

In all honesty I feel that any pluses in the next two games would raise hope but I am looking fer a marked improvement at Killie and two wins in the cups.

Do you ever say anything nice to people - you come over as a bitter twisted old man - as for saying I'm a thief !!!

As, in another post, why is there not a "boooo" option for some posters. They dearly need to be booed off the Forum at times. What negativity. How twitter and bisted can a so-called fan be (and I mean twitter and bisted!)(work it out!). Even Victor Meldrew was funny at times - not Theeagle.

• Agree 2

As, in another post, why is there not a "boooo" option for some posters. They dearly need to be booed off the Forum at times. What negativity. How twitter and bisted can a so-called fan be (and I mean twitter and bisted!)(work it out!). Even Victor Meldrew was funny at times - not Theeagle.

Was gobsmacked at this appointment. He's failed everywhere he's been and by the sounds of things gets elocution lessons from Charlie Nicolas.

Elocution lessons required, in Inverness?

Yur choking min, ya no yercell, we are sooper speekers!

Maybe we should get the great Sir Alex or maybe Mr Lambert to use their elocution skills to help Mr Hughes as he is somewhat lacking in this department and this therefore impacts on his managerial ability, by your inference.

My use of the Charlie Nicolas metaphor was to, as they do so neatly in Only an Excuse, infer that he talks shyte.

Lambert and Ferguson, on the other hand, are just a couple of thick Weegies who never quite learned how to accurately utilise those old favourites "seen", "saw" and "went" .............. just like Willie Miller.   

Can't accuse the new manager of lacking passion.  Had to have treatment at half time for a cut on his head caused by cutting it on the duggout when he jumped up to celebrate Billy's goal!  Said on his post match interview that he may need to wear a helment like Peter Cech.    Quality! 

• Agree 4

Can't accuse the new manager of lacking passion.  Had to have treatment at half time for a cut on his head caused by cutting it on the duggout when he jumped up to celebrate Billy's goal!  Said on his post match interview that he may need to wear a helment like Peter Cech.    Quality!

True but the other way of looking at it is that he's an oaf

Dougal

I'm not a fan of Yogi, I don't think it was a good appointment and I'm very skeptical that he'll prove a success in the long term.

BUT

I think our form would've dipped even if we'd appointed a new manager or if Butcher had stayed.  We have a very small squad and our start to the season was probably the best we could possibly have hoped for - all our players were fit, in form and new signings slotted together brilliantly.  However, when you strip away a few of our experienced players we are relying on players playing out of position (Danny Williams in central midfield) or young lads who lack experience (Polworth from the start, Christie, Evans etc on the bench). 

There are some things I think Hughes could do better (we've dominated possession in quite a few games under Hughes but can't seem to turn that into goals, we need to play further up the park and be purposefully direct) but I doubt he's come in and destroyed our season.  Yet.

• Agree 2

:smile:Not everyone who does what he did is an oaf. Dougal.

Enthusiasm, forgetfulness, or the onset of Alzheimers as you enter your dotage, are three factors that can trigger  something like this. Happens to me all the time, Dougal, in our new kitchen where the wooden panelling sticks out with pointy ends  to it , not being what I have been used to for the past eight years. It's coming to a doorway near you too in a few years, old chap.

Of course, the jury is still out on whether Scarlet is an oaf for other reasons...? :smile:

• Agree 2

I'm not a fan of Yogi, I don't think it was a good appointment and I'm very skeptical that he'll prove a success in the long term.

BUT

I think our form would've dipped even if we'd appointed a new manager or if Butcher had stayed.  We have a very small squad and our start to the season was probably the best we could possibly have hoped for - all our players were fit, in form and new signings slotted together brilliantly.  However, when you strip away a few of our experienced players we are relying on players playing out of position (Danny Williams in central midfield) or young lads who lack experience (Polworth from the start, Christie, Evans etc on the bench). 

There are some things I think Hughes could do better (we've dominated possession in quite a few games under Hughes but can't seem to turn that into goals, we need to play further up the park and be purposefully direct) but I doubt he's come in and destroyed our season.  Yet.

Can't disagree with any of this. I hope he's learned from past mistakes. When he was at Hibs apparently he was too pally with the players and it led to problems when form dropped. Massive positive today was Polworth's performance so hats off to the gaffer for giving him a start. I'd still like to see Ryan Christie get more game time.

• Agree 1

The challenge off how much to be pally with the players is a difficult one.

It's not like the old days when elders were always addressed by youngsters as Mister. If he is too distant nowadays and not show his emotions or sense of humor he may lose touch with them also. For him it's a balancing act but if he is forthright and honest with them and not be shy to suggest ways in which, individually, they can improve then  hopefully he can inspire them and encourage them  enough to get the best out of them. But, on the other hand he can't afford to show weakness or they, naturally, will try to take advantage of him

It's up to him to show who is the boss. A good firing now and then helps to clear a few heads..............

Tactically Yogi got it spot on today. With what he had at his disposal he picked the best possible 11 and he wasnt shy in giving Christie and Polworth their chances, both of whom are giving an account of themselves. There have been a number of circumstances that have seen us have the dismal winter spell that we have had, a lot of which were outwith his control but today certainly saw the positives outshine the negatives.

I really want him to do well just so we can get over the unease of will he/wont he and so some that are struggling to get to grips with it can get back to simply supporting the team. Would like to see him bring in a couple over the window so we can at least get some sort of look at how he does business and so he can put some sort of spin on the team that is his, it could be the sort of thing that could kick start the season. 

There needs to be a great deal of patience and while things may get worse before they get better but we will all still be there showing support with today hopefully being a step in the right direction.

• Agree 4

I wonder if the players are now starting to come more used to Hughes' tactics.  We all know that Yogi likes players to keep the ball and all that, and in the last few weeks, this amounted to the players, particularly the defenders passing the ball to each other for what seemed like days, before inviting pressure onto the themselves and knocking it back to the goalkeeper to hoof it up the park.  Yesterday, there seemed to be a bit more understanding between the players about what they were doing and seemed keener to work the ball forward, as opposed to keeping it for the sake of keeping it.

History shows that Caley Thistle, under a number of different managers and with different groups of players, have always been a better team when playing the ball on the deck.  If things carry on and improve as they are, the Yogi and Latapy regime might turn-out alright after all.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 5

:smile:Not everyone who does what he did is an oaf. Dougal.

Enthusiasm, forgetfulness, or the onset of Alzheimers as you enter your dotage, are three factors that can trigger  something like this. Happens to me all the time, Dougal, in our new kitchen where the wooden panelling sticks out with pointy ends  to it , not being what I have been used to for the past eight years. It's coming to a doorway near you too in a few years, old chap.

Of course, the jury is still out on whether Scarlet is an oaf for other reasons...? :smile:

I think he claimed it was a schoolboy error not a senior moment.

OOOOOH!  Well, we stand corrected sir.

Now we have two cantankerous owd gits on here :  Scarlet and the growler (C. O. G.)

Looks like you are intent on putting a COG in my wheel.   ULP! :wink:

I can re-COG-nise a growler anywhere. There are plenty of them coming down from Alaska--one of which sank the Titanic, remember.