FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

CC Targets Loan stopper

Libero

Just read this on the Teamtalk website:

Christie targets loan stopper

Inverness head coach Charlie Christie is aiming to sign a new goalkeeper by the end of next week.

Christie wants competition for Michael Fraser, who is the new first-choice stopper following Mark Brown's departure to Celtic.

Fraser's promotion has left Christie with only Jonathon Smith as a back-up and the Caley boss is keen to strengthen his pool of goalkeepers in the near future.

Christie has every confidence that Fraser will go on to become a fixture in the Inverness team, but will now look to work out a deal, possibly on a loan basis, to sign a player who will help bring the best out of the 23-year-old.

He said: "Michael will be given the opportunity to grab the number one spot, but we do need competition between now and the end of the season and we have some irons in the fire on that front.

"I am not set in my ways on whether it is an experienced goalkeeper who comes in, or a 21-year-old for example, as it really depends on who is available and who is willing to come up to Inverness.

"But my preference would be getting someone as a stopgap between now and the end of the season, because I think you will have a bigger pond to fish in come the summer.

"We need competition for training purposes and the fact that it keeps players on their toes, so I would hope to have a goalkeeper in certainly by a week today."

Fraser will make only his third start for Inverness when he lines up against Hibernian in the SPL on Sunday, but Christie is so sure of his ability he went as far as saying that the Inverness native is stronger in some areas than Brown.

He said: "I have a lot of confidence in Michael and all of the players and coaches who have worked with him hold him in a very high regard.

"He actually has parts to his game which are better than Mark, such the fact he is comfortable with the ball at his feet, which was probably Mark's only real downside."

Christie confirmed that he will sit down with Barry Wilson and Richard Hastings next week in the hope of furthering their contract negotiations. Stuart Golabek could move to Peterhead on loan, along with Liam Keogh, who the Second Division side would like to sign on a permanent deal

I think CC has made it pretty clear that Ike will get a chance to become the permanent first choice keeper. He has said that he rates him, the players rate him, and we can see from comments on here that the fans rate him. The rest is up to Mike. Sounds like the backup keeper is just that, a backup for Mike.