FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Fraser too lightweight?

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

I've noticed in the last couple of games MF has looked a bit shaky dealing with crosses and high balls into the box, and he's resorted to desparatly punching the ball a few times. He looks a bit skinny and unconvincing to me. Dundee Utd seem to have singled him out for some rough treatment last week as if they figured he was the weak link. Fair enough, he kept a clean sheet but he didn't really seem to be in command of his box. I hope I'm wrong but I get the impression we're going to start losing a few goals from high balls into the box - like we did when Fridge was our number 1.

:024:

New Keeper, not totally tested at this level and young to boot - any team who didn't go out to put extra pressure on them would have been crazy and I would have expected us to be doing the same had it been the other way round.

I have no problem with keepers punching the ball away so long as they can do it well.

Not sure he should be taking on the opposition strikers so often.............the first dribble looked comfortable, the second one made my eye twitch a little. He also appeared to drop a couple of crosses, difficult to see from other end why, some under presure, some unfairly methinks, but I agree he should be in charge till the season ends, that will make or break him, he needs these games under his belt before any judgement can be passed. I like his casual approach to it all, but I'm sure he will claim the jersey.

Give him a bit of time. You can't just walk into the No. 1 shirt at this level.

I've only seen him on TV, but he has not seemed to have had many serious problems.

Just hope he doesn't go dribbling against the tic though.  :018:

Guest Spectre

I certainly hope he doesn't make a habit of the dribbling,  but apart from that I thought he stood up pretty well to being bullied by Wilkie - who managed to push Rossco over as well.

I'm a wee bit concerned about his kicking. Can't knock his confidence though.

Did anyone notice his throws though - on at least 3 occasions on Saturday a well-placed throw led to a shooting opportunity at the other end. He's got vision - that's for sure.

He's played 3 games, and only conceded 2 goals to the runaway league leaders, both of which were the result of howlers by the defenders, I don't think he could have done much better for a start in his new slot.

Despite being given some heavy weight attention I felt he managed ok on Saturday.  I think he will gain confidence all round with the backing of all of us. 

Mark Brown is at fault here and deserves to be feckin pilloried. He left us in the shyte with his last minute move which left us with little choice other than run with Mike. As others has said he aint done bad so far - and there is always the loan route if he does feck up. It is another case of sink or swim so lets hope he stays afloat.

:fishing: :fishing: :toothy08:

He's a young lad and I think he's doing okay and I have confidence in him to keep the no.1 jersey.  He's waited long enough for it, so he won't be keen to lose it.  I read in one of the papers that he seemed comfortable with the ball at his feet, which was a weakness of MB.  I can tell you that Calder is one of MF's idols, so don't expect the dribbling to disappear, he's confident enough to takes these guys on so good luck to him.

:021: :021: :021: Thumbs up from me.

The last 6 months of Browns tenure in our goal, saw him, in my view become the 2nd or 3rd keeper in scotland. A genuine top class keeper, great shot stopper, improved his kicking to better than competent, at last gained control of his 6 yard box in the air, great reading of the ball into the area ( whether to stay or come out quickly for the ball) and at

last a sound overall understanding with his defence, We wont discuss saving penalties.

All this took 4 years to achieve, 3 in the Spl. The times when he went on bad runs of form,

noone got too concerned by, because we knew he had bags of talent that had only to be refined over time . A goalkeeper as much as, maybe even more than any other position needs plenty of time to gain experience and mature. I believe it is often said that a keeper

doesn't hit his peak years until between 30-35 years old. Mike Fraser is young, has bundles

of natural talent, is full of self belief and confidence and has played 4, yes thats 4, games of senior Scottish football. I suggest we all just sit back and relax and enjoy the journey and rise of one of the best young keepers in the country.

:fishing: :fishing: :toothy08:

He's a young lad and I think he's doing okay and I have confidence in him to keep the no.1 jersey.  He's waited long enough for it, so he won't be keen to lose it.  I read in one of the papers that he seemed comfortable with the ball at his feet, which was a weakness of MB.  I can tell you that Calder is one of MF's idols, so don't expect the dribbling to disappear, he's confident enough to takes these guys on so good luck to him.

:021: :021: :021: Thumbs up from me.

Yes. It's great to look at, in a brown trouser kind of way. But the question is "Why?"

Why put himself under pressure, is there a tactical advantage? I very much doubt it. Statistically, he will **** it up once and concede a goal. Then we will all be screaming.

I think we shoud be asking whether he can save a penalty.

I think if you compare the two keepers I don't think Brown came off his line that often, although he did start this season to cut out the crosses, but he never got into the mix. Fraser was up against so tall players Wilkie and the like. Mark was a shot stopper, fraser is attempting to command his area. It will get better as he grows in confidence, I think the only way to compare them, if that is what you want to do, is to look at goals concided after a period of time.

As Mark gains confidence and the back four get use to him he will do us proud.

Guest caleyrooster

hes a far better keeper than brown, he just needs to settle into the first team. People are saying he doesnt command his area, when did brown ever try to claim a cross? Even browns defence ignored him when he called for the ball cos he was junk at catching and the back 4 had no trust in his ability to claim loose or in comming balls. brown was an amazing shot stopper, may be one of the best, but he couldnt catch, kick, punch, stop penalties or even talk to his back 4.