FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Cup or the League?

Renegade

118 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather win?

• Scottish Cup
    • Division 1

To win the Scottish Cup would stay with you for life rather than entering a ;eague where there is little hope of anything other than beating the old firm on occasion.

I'd trade the league for the cup. Especially since the winner will have European football to look forward to as well.

I am actually quite jealous of County and I hope they can pull it off.

Slag me off if you wish I don't care.

Well done to them.

After we were relegated last season people said ICT will never get back up

And some of these also suggested that ICT were destined to become a part-time club, and could even go out of business altogether.

3 months is a long time in football!

I'd love the glamour and excitement of a cup final but from a long term point of view County's cup run will net them a one off windfall in the region of ?700,000 but, even with the reduced TV deal, SPL membership is worth more than ?1,000,000 every season with a guarantee of a further ?250,000 parachute payment even in the event of relegation.

Think people are kidding themselves on here.

Arguably C*unty will make more money this season than we will with 1 season in the SPL and as important as it is to get back to the SPL for long term financial reasons, the Scottish Cup is the most prestigious trophy that can be won in Scotland next to the premiership title. If a team wins the Scottish Cup they are counted as one of the elite and their name stored in the history books.

I'd take another decade in the first division for the Scottish Cup.

If C*unty manage to win the trophy [gritting teeth] it will be one of the worst footballing moments in my history, right beside our own relegation next season.

League. That shows who the best team is over the whole season.

And next season it's gone.

Bet ICT fans won't be talking about an away win in the First Division at Queen of the South in 60 years. They would still talk of a Scottish Cup win though.

No, but they will be talking about the amazing unbeaten run, the league win, and becoming the first ever team to bounce straight back up!

Pitty we aren't the first team to ever bounce straight back up though!!

We are since the new league system came into play in 1998.

Bet ICT fans won't be talking about an away win in the First Division at Queen of the South in 60 years. They would still talk of a Scottish Cup win though.

No, but they will be talking about the amazing unbeaten run, the league win, and becoming the first ever team to bounce straight back up!

I've said the league was more important and it is. I'd rather be in the SPL anyday over winning the cup but for living in the memories the Cup will always be remembered. Gretna went from the second right up to the first but i couldn't give a damn. League records about bouncing straight back up ain't as memorable as a national cup win.

Think people are kidding themselves on here.

Arguably C*unty will make more money this season than we will with 1 season in the SPL and as important as it is to get back to the SPL for long term financial reasons, the Scottish Cup is the most prestigious trophy that can be won in Scotland next to the premiership title. If a team wins the Scottish Cup they are counted as one of the elite and their name stored in the history books.

I'd take another decade in the first division for the Scottish Cup.

If C*unty manage to win the trophy [gritting teeth] it will be one of the worst footballing moments in my history, right beside our own relegation next season.

Good post H , bang on . Seems to be a lot of folk kidding themselves on with this one .

For a team that has never won it before it just has to be the cup.

Just think of some of the young County supporters 60 years on. In the future County may get into the top flight league from time to time but they will never win it. They might have some great matches, great victories and they might win the cup again, but I'll tell you this, if they win the cup this year, those youngsters will still be talking about the cup victory of 2010 as the greatest day in the club's history and as their best memory.

I'm really quite envious of County fans at the moment but try to put a brave face on it by asking them if they know how to get to Alloa because that will be where they will be playing next season.

We will be the first team to win the league after getting relegated, Dunfermline bounced back up in 2000 due to the league expanding but we are no way the first team to ever do this and it isn't that big a deal to be the first team to do it since the new league system as before then it was the exact same league, Scottish football wasn't invented in 1998! All the past league titles when it was know as the Priemeir Division or 1st Division are still counted so Hibs bouncing straight back up in 1998 still counts and I'm sure plenty of other teams have done it before them.

To win the Scottish Cup would stay with you for life rather than entering a ;eague where there is little hope of anything other than beating the old firm on occasion.

I'd trade the league for the cup. Especially since the winner will have European football to look forward to as well.

I am actually quite jealous of County and I hope they can pull it off.

Slag me off if you wish I don't care.

Well done to them.

My feelings exactly. At the start of every season i dream of the Scottish Cup Final and European football above all else. I'm extremely jealous of what County have acheived but all the best to them. Hopefully we'll do it one day.

Thinking about it, the cup maybe is better. I would like to change my vote. There is no chance of winning any other competition. I think the question really should be League, ir cup final appearance because they ain't going to win the cup, there is another team left to play in the final, and this team ALSO beat one of the Old Firm to get through.............

Guest Mahonio

Thinking about it, the cup maybe is better. I would like to change my vote. There is no chance of winning any other competition. I think the question really should be League, ir cup final appearance because they ain't going to win the cup, there is another team left to play in the final, and this team ALSO beat one of the Old Firm to get through.............

Also they are supposedly the form team in Scotland at the moment whaich i don't go along with as we are on an 18 game unbeaten run. Just a quick thing to rememmber regarding Final, Dundee Utd beat Ross Co in the league cup so i say United will win 2-1 but still at least they got to a final which we haven't done, YET :P :P . The other thing to note is that they had to play teams like Inverurie up until the quarters whereas we played Motherwell and Killie, who would also have beaten County so draws do count, especially for smaller teams like, Gretna, Queens and County.

In reply to the question asked by the topic starter i would go with both but to be honest THIS YEAR was about league and any cup run was a bonus but as from next season i would say the Cup as that would be a welcome distraction from the league.

Hope yous understand this :lol::lol:

Cup for sure. If United finish 3rd, will that mean that county are through to the qualifying stages of the Europa Cup?

There was some confusion about this, but it seems that County would need United to finish 2nd in order to qualify for Europe as runners-up.

Th whole thing is confusing.

Whats supposed to happen:

Winner of the Cup enters the 4th round of qualifying

3rd in the league enters in the 3rd round of qualifying

4th in the league enters in the 2nd round of qualifying

But if United get third and win the Cup, they get the cup's place (obviously) and then the rest of the places go down one place in the league. So 5th place gets a place ahead of County in that scenario. County would only get the Cup place in the Europa if United go into the Champions League.

For me the cup. As has been said there is a great prestige in winning a countries major trophy. With it comes a lot of memories and a big wad of cash. Then there's the big wad from the Europa cup qualifying round and the excitement of awaiting the draw to see who's coming to your ground.

League is important as the bread and butter of football but there's not a player around who wouldn't want to be on the Hampden turf on cup final day.

Th whole thing is confusing.

Whats supposed to happen:

Winner of the Cup enters the 4th round of qualifying

3rd in the league enters in the 3rd round of qualifying

4th in the league enters in the 2nd round of qualifying

But if United get third and win the Cup, they get the cup's place (obviously) and then the rest of the places go down one place in the league. So 5th place gets a place ahead of County in that scenario. County would only get the Cup place in the Europa if United go into the Champions League.

Your forgetting the other scenario...........County win the cup. There's no reason why they couldn't. They beat Hibs. They beat Celtic. Niether of whom they were expected to beat. They could beat DU.