FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rangers clearout?

Yngwie

Rangers currently have a first team squad of 32, and an Under 19 squad of 35, which is far more than they need to fulfil their fixtures.

The administrator will be looking to cut the wage bill immediately, which could result in quite a few of these players being made redundant this month.

Would ICT be in the market to pick up any cast offs? I'm sure Terry will be interested in developments, but the problem is our squad is full and there's unlikely to be any surplus money in the budget for the remainder of the season. It would be nice to think though that if a suitable player came on the market looking for a reasonable wage for a short term contract, we could accommodate 1 more first team player.

The U19s could present an opportunity for the longer term. The administrator might take the view that whilst they are on relatively low wages, there's a lot of them and they don't really bring in any income. Building for the future goes out of the window in administration, it's all about balancing the books so I won't be surprised if the axe is wielded there. It is potentially in our favour that Terry is well connected to get the lowdown on these youngsters.

We've all seen the ramifications of living outwith your means and we all know also how tight the purse strings at ICT are so do we really want to see them burst or stretched to the full just because some players may be available?

I can see why people are discussing about certain players that the administrators at Rangers will terminate contracts off but tbh honest I see none of them that will either be in our league or will even come upto the Highlands. We are talking abouts players like Laffertey, Papac, Aluko and Healey due to the short length of time left on their contracts and also players like McGregor, Davis, Naismith and Goian due to the possibilty of bringing in transfer money from them.

I see no reason for the administrators to get rid of promising youngsters who would be on a wage that would be seen as sustainable for Rangers from now and the future, they need to if they want the club to continue on in the current format set proper foundations down and these players people have spoken about are the very ones that they will probably start these foundations with. Even if they try to keep some of the bigger players I still don't see players like Ness, Hutton and Perry being let go over players like McCulloch and the above.

I personally would rather see ICT stay strict with their budgets and push on with the business model they have and not jepordise that for one or two players who we wouldn't ultimately have looked at should this situation not have come around as they would have been outwith our reach. At a time when people are talking about Rangers being extremely stupid and short sighted we would be doing the very same in essence if we broke our own boundaries because of someone elses misfortune and mismanagement.

• Agree 3

It's not a case of brining in more players to make us go bust. We've got a lot of players who might well not be renewing contracts at ICT. If Golobart, Williams, Gillet, Piermayr, Proctor and Tokely all leave at the end of their contracts, we'll have to bring in players from somewhere. Why not look at the likes of Perry then for the back four if he's released? Sure, he might be kept on. But he might not. Nothng wrong with keeping an eye out.

Will leave it to Terry/Mo on this one !

We all know he (they) can spot a decent younger player, he's proven that several times by cherry picking some of our current players from England. He is also well aware of what stage contract talks with our own players are at and might have an inkling which players may or may not renew contracts ..... if he sees an opportunity, and its not going to cause us a financial headache then go for it ... if not, then it will be the usual summer merry go round ... where a lot of these players may still be available if they just sign on with a team until end of season.

• Agree 1

It's not a case of brining in more players to make us go bust. We've got a lot of players who might well not be renewing contracts at ICT. If Golobart, Williams, Gillet, Piermayr, Proctor and Tokely all leave at the end of their contracts, we'll have to bring in players from somewhere. Why not look at the likes of Perry then for the back four if he's released? Sure, he might be kept on. But he might not. Nothng wrong with keeping an eye out.

I agree with what you're saying however you base this on players leaving at the end of the season and us needing players then for the forth coming season, Rangers don't have until then and need to act now and shed the load on them now. Players like Perry and Ness will never be available come the end of the season should they be released from contracts now as other bigger teams who can afford them now will make their move and bring them in as free agents. That is what I based my opinion on

you beat me to it alex....

been discussing things at work on this matter with a jambo and have come to the following conclusions

the top end types like your mcgregors etc will be put on the market to raise funds.

the first time also rans on high wages will be punted on at cut price to get them of the wage bill

the fringe first teamers may become the backbone

the better youth not in the first team set up will step up to form part of the main playing squad

the youth that would likely have fallen at the wayside anyway will be let go to free up wages again

we arent going to get any of the established names coming to us and frankly i wouldnt want them...... rangers have got themselves into this mess but we are all going to pay the price

been discussing things at work on this matter with a jambo and have come to the following conclusions

the top end types like your mcgregors etc will be put on the market to raise funds.

the first time also rans on high wages will be punted on at cut price to get them of the wage bill

the better youth not in the first team set up will step up to form part of the main playing squad

the youth that would likely have fallen at the wayside anyway will be let go to free up wages again

we arent going to get any of the established names coming to us and frankly i wouldnt want them...... rangers have got themselves into this mess but we are all going to pay the price

All very well TUG but they can't wait til the window to get the high earners off the books so some will be getting redundo notices very shortly.

All very well TUG but they can't wait til the window to get the high earners off the books so some will be getting redundo notices very shortly.

thats very true but if man u turned and said we will give you 9 million to cancel mcgregors contract..would they say no?? i dont think so. not sure if it would work but i dare say if it came to it they would try

the U19s would be the first to go! Ness looks like a capture!

It is a condition of membership of the SPL that clubs have an U-19 team. That is the bit that is crippling a lot of clubs at the minute. Our own club are very much feeling the pinch as well.

The axe will fall on a number of players at Rangers tomorrow and rumour has it that McCulloch, Alexander, Heally, Broadfoot, Goian and Papac are top contenders for the axe. Others will be offered new contracts at severely reduced wages. Rangers must get out of administration by end of this month to have a chance of competing, and earning, from european competition so the axe is going to cut deep. I know many, including myself, have no sympathy for the situation Rangers find themselves in but livelihoods are the price that will be paid now.

I remember how I felt knowing some of the people who lost their jobs at ICT when we were relegated and I feel for the people behind the scenes at Ibrox who will lose their jobs.

We moan about the quality we sign, we moan about prices at the gate, we moan about pies. The reality is that were things not the way they are at ICT, and the club are finding it very hard to balance the books, we could just as easily be facing a similar situation.

Love or hate Rangers they are an institution in Scottish football and they are a very marketable product worldwide yet they are now on the brink of becoming one of the other, barely surviving, average clubs in the country.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

the U19s would be the first to go! Ness looks like a capture!

It is a condition of membership of the SPL that clubs have an U-19 team. That is the bit that is crippling a lot of clubs at the minute. Our own club are very much feeling the pinch as well.

But isn't that a sad reflection on the state of the game in this country in any case? It should be unthinkable that a team in the top flight of a national league wouldn't have an under 19 team - or a reserve team for that matter. There are teams down at level 5 or even level 6 in the English non-league pyramid system who have reserve teams and youth teams (under 18). It is through games in reserve and youth leagues that players mature and show they have what it takes to play in competeive games.

I totally agree with you DD but there is a helluvalot more money in the English game than there is in Scotland. In Scotland the SPL and most of the 1st div are full time teams. All the rest are part time and paying part time wages. In England the game provides so many more full time teams. Take the top two out of Scotland and the average gate on a saturday is probably still below what an English 2nd div team cam expect. Scottish football is not seen as the same marketable product as it is down south. That if further reflected in the fact that only the SPL are seen as televisable. Yet ten years ago Div 1 was also televised. South of the border we are seen as no more than a country that can produce a few players able to play in their leagues and a few more with the brain to manage their teams.

Come independence we'll show them.

No way will the u19 league be scrapped would not be PC imo.

As an aside see Portsmouth are in real trouble. Administrators have discovered that if they get relegated (when?) the parachute payment will go to the last owner and not the club! Real danger of them going out of business aparently.

As an aside see Portsmouth are in real trouble. Administrators have discovered that if they get relegated (when?) the parachute payment will go to the last owner and not the club! Real danger of them going out of business aparently.

As another aside - Celtic buy Portsmouth, Stick their reserves Team in League 1 ( for now) - Play their games at Carlisle - ( Direct Rail link to Glasgow) - Win their way back to the Premier League iSouth of the border , Switch grounds to Glasgow, having apealed to the courts against restriction of trade. Celtic then will be a Premier league Club, They could always play their reserves in the SPL.

How does that grab you. Remember Sansea a non-English team play in the Premier league , so natural justice would apply in any court.

As another aside - Celtic buy Portsmouth, Stick their reserves Team in League 1 ( for now) - Play their games at Carlisle - ( Direct Rail link to Glasgow) - Win their way back to the Premier League iSouth of the border , Switch grounds to Glasgow, having apealed to the courts against restriction of trade. Celtic then will be a Premier league Club, They could always play their reserves in the SPL.

How does that grab you. Remember Sansea a non-English team play in the Premier league , so natural justice would apply in any court.

Interesting thought but would never happen.

List has been (allegedly) leaked on twitter.

If true, it includes Alexander, McCulloch, Wallace, Papac, Healy, Wylde, Bocanegro, Aluko and Little amongst others.Supposed to be getting told tomorrow at training in Milngavie.