FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Owen Coyle

Alex MacLeod

Had a nightmare last season and was probably in need of a fresh start elsewhere following it, its his first sacking so i hope he bounces back from it. A great manager...no question about it.

• Agree 1

Don't know if he can be described as a great manager but he's certaibly a competent one with a decent record and I doubt if he will be out of work for long.

Well it took him till his 3rd job before he actually got sacked...in the modern game that could be seen as great :happy:

Guest Mahonio

By midweek, Scotland will most likely be looking for a new gaffer and some bookies have Coyle as a contender despite him playing for Republic of Ireland as a player.

Did a good job at Burnley and St Johnstone but I think Strachan is man to save our 2014 campaign ;).

Levein vs fletcher was bad enough. It would be at stachan against most the Scotland team if he came in.

I'd like to see coyle if we don't pull off a miracle win on Tuesday, he's down to earth, and has a pretty good track record. He's also Scottish through and through, was never given th chance internationally though because of the position he played and the time he played it.

Scotland needs someone with character and charisma. Someone who is totally un-biased when it comes to finding and selecting players. Someone who wont select players just because he knows them from his old club. Although I'd prefer that person to be Scottish I wouldn't overlook any of the successful English managers. Also Billy Stark has been doing fairly well with the national youths. Could he fill the role?

All that said Scotland needs to take the bull by the horns and sort out the mess that is Scottish League football. One governing body. Top class academies and better financial support for clubs to help the development of players.

I don't see Billy Stark has done much for the Under-21s. Maybe a few players been brought on but not successful as far as qualifying goes. For me, that's got to be the benchmark for the national team.

I completely disagree with the idea of foreign managers for national teams. If the nationality doesn't matter for the most important guy, why should it matter for the players? It's either a Scottish team or it's not.

• Agree 1

I don't see Billy Stark has done much for the Under-21s. Maybe a few players been brought on but not successful as far as qualifying goes. For me, that's got to be the benchmark for the national team.

I completely disagree with the idea of foreign managers for national teams. If the nationality doesn't matter for the most important guy, why should it matter for the players? It's either a Scottish team or it's not.

Would that be a Scottish team with something like eight English born players in it. Besides I dont actually class an Englishman as foriegn.

I've often wondered what would happen if an English manager got the Scotland job. Almost certainly, a sizeable chunk (probably the ones you see in their kilts, war paint and hats with feathers in) would go irate. Look at the outrage in some quarters when Terry Butcher was involved. I think there's some people out there who'd rather not qualify than qualify with an Englishman in charge. Strange attitude that, particularly when both Wales and Northern Ireland have both had English managers and Jack Charlton is still beloved in Ireland to this day and is the greatest manager they ever had.

Scotland needs someone with character and charisma. Someone who is totally un-biased when it comes to finding and selecting players. Someone who wont select players just because he knows them from his old club. Although I'd prefer that person to be Scottish I wouldn't overlook any of the successful English managers. Also Billy Stark has been doing fairly well with the national youths. Could he fill the role?

All that said Scotland needs to take the bull by the horns and sort out the mess that is Scottish League football. One governing body. Top class academies and better financial support for clubs to help the development of players.

Who are the successful English managers you speak of ?

Would that be a Scottish team with something like eight English born players in it. Besides I dont actually class an Englishman as foriegn.

You class every Englishman as Scottish? You do realise this is the Scotland national team, not the British one?

I don't understand that logic at all.

I get that some people don't think the nationality of the manager is important but I don't understand how Sam Allardyce is ok as he's somehow Scottish because he's English?!?!? If it doesn't matter where someone's born (although I disagree with that whole premise) then go for a top manager regardless of nationality.

Oh, and to add, I get that some people can be born in another country but be of dual nationality. I'm not aware of Big Sam having any connection to Scotland, therefore, if that's true, to me (and to him, I'm sure), he's not Scottish.

Edited by starchief