FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

BBC Slanders ICT

Guest DBJaggy

Guest DBJaggy

Just heard the BBC radio news about Paul Le Guen leaving Rangers. Explains what a bad season Rangers have had - finishing with the reporter announcing in an incredulous tone that 'they have even contrived to lose twice to Inverness'!

I know it suits us a lot of the time having the 'underdog' tag but I'm getting a bit sick of the press's lack of respect for ICT. Clearly we are still the diddy team that has no right to be in the SPL - St Johnstone kicking Rangers out of the league cup has barely raised an eyebrow!

The fact of the matter is Rangers have 10 times (or more) the resources,crowds,finacial clout,players,scouting system etc etc etc. That ICT compete (and win) is a tremendous indictment of desire,ability and team spirit overcoming the Billy big times and will always be looked on by the press and central belters as a surprise.Long may it continue  :021:

Pretty much, however if accused in the courts then you have to be able to prove it's true, the person accusing you does not have to prove it is not true - kinda the opposite of the innocent till proven guilty approach in most other legal cases.

One or two things here.

Firstly, during the afternoon I exchanged a bit of good natured banter with the reporter concerned (Colin Blane) and he sent me a copy of his tastefully amended script for later bulletins. This now reads:

"Rangers have fallen well behind Celtic in the league where thery've already lost home and away to Inverness Caledonian Thistle."

Also, "slander" and "libel" do not exist in Scots law. There is the general term "defamation". And yes, it is the case that a statement is only defamatory if it is not true. If someone can prove "veritas" - ie that it's true - they can't be done for defamation. This is what the News of the World failed to prove in the Tommy Sheridan case.

You just beat me to it Charles, I was going to say that Kingsmills would be along to put us right, but I thought they were both 'defamation' in Scotland.

How about a list of things we don't have in Scotland:

Vicars

St John's Ambulance Service

Barristers

RSPCA

More??

The (Scottish?) Sun is pretty bad. On today's Page 3, Keeley says: "Atlantic hero Michael Perham has put the pride back into British sport. While our cricket, rugby and football teams all flounder, it's taken a 14 year old......"

Well, apart frrom Keeley failing to mention Andy Murray, I think OUR rugby team (which beat the "world champions" in the Calcutta Cup) and OUR football team (which beat the world runners up) seem to be doing all right at the moment. And given what we're seeing in Australia, I think anybody's cricket team would beat theirs.

Indeed I'm convinced that this Sailor Laddie is only getting the prominence he's getting as a media distractor from the possibly imminent first Ashes whitewash since 1921. He should be in school doing his Prelims!

And yes, I DID only look at Page 3 to sample the profundity of Keeley's contemporary observations.

PS - I actually have a journalistic ambition to be engaged by The Sun as staff writer of the "Dear Deirdre" letters. I'm probably a bit old to be employed as one of these people in "Deirdre's Photo Casebook" who seem to spend their entire lives hanging about in bedrooms in their underwear!

Guest Arab4Ever

And notice Andy Murray was "Scotlands Andy Murray" until he became big and then he was "Great Britains Andy Murray" :008:

We have an SSPCA instead of a RSPCA don't we?

Or have I missed something?

That's the point!

SSPCA not RSPCA

Ministers not vicars

Advocates not Barristers

St Andrew's not St John's

Procurator Fiscal not Crown Prosecution Service

HMI not OFSTED

etc, etc

But these words are misused every day on 'our' BBC.