FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Big screen tv / scoreboard needed?

Guest coronationcages

sheffield wednesday are looking into huge tv screen for replays, score, time left etc money earnt back by the people who advertise on it! worth us doing the same?  

212 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes tv and scoreboard
    • yes just scoreboard
    • no what a waste of ict's cash
    • no it influences the ref
    • dont care either way

Guest coronationcages

i thought this would be good as the sponsorship would pay for it plus bring in cash after its payed for! sentanta might be up for a big chunk of time!

what do you think

For the stadium the size of our's I don't really see the point of a fancy scoreboard, however, if the cost is being met by sponsors then fair do's. Any big TV screen would have to face away from the Kessock Bridge!!!

Rosscoe23 - look at the Average Home Crowd thread.

7500 seats in 3 stands at the moment - average attendance 4878 or 64.8% full. So whos going to use the 4th stand you want? Would their even be many people in it for Old Firm games these days? Not judging from attendences at Dunfermline, Mothwerwell etc. v OF.

a scoreboard is a "nice to have" feature but not at the expense of something else.

If it could be paid for by sponsor cash then thats good, but I would far rather see money spent on improving what we have or laying the groundwork for a 'singing terrace' opposite the main stand (if the club can actually persuade the SPL that this can be allowed).

i've never been a big fan of screens at football matches. i can usually keep track of the score and check my watch for the time, and i don't enjoy being distracted by ridiculous advertising such as the one at rugby park

Guest coronationcages

like i said though once it had paid for its self it would be bringing in many thousands per season in reddies!!!! that cant be a bad thing can it?

I can assure you that a 4th stand would be significantly cheaper than an appropriate video LED screen for each end of the ground. Maybe ICT can do a Man UTD and get Vodofone to pay for it....video screen; not 4th stand!

What about putting a TV or two in the main stand next to the pie counters, much like the aberdeen home end, as they will show the game so you won't miss anything. Might encourage more people to buy food from the stalls there.

In terms of a big screen, there will never be a need for one at our stadium i feel.

They are quite good at bigger stadiums though- when i saw AIK Stockhom v. Helsingbourgs last year, the big screen showed instant replays of all the key events, seconds after they happened. Incredible stuff.

Whereas the Parkheeed tv's are just there to sell more crap to the mindless green army.

We also have the added bonus of prime advertising space being available on the back of the Scoreboard should it be placed opposite the main stand.

Given the reaction of a few people in the main stand to the singing section, Werthers may be interested in sponsoring it!!!

I can assure you that a 4th stand would be significantly cheaper than an appropriate video LED screen for each end of the ground. Maybe ICT can do a Man UTD and get Vodofone to pay for it....video screen; not 4th stand!

So two screens would cost somewhere over £10 million??

So two screens would cost somewhere over £10 million??

probably not that much ..... but then again any '4th stand' wouldnt cost 5 million either given the underground gas-line problem in that area. it would likely be a low level, limited capacity affair that didnt require founds that go too deep .....

anyhoo ... the point is moot as a scoreboard like the one shown is never gonna happen ..... here's only 5 of probably dozens of reasons why

1. purchase cost is too high

2. even if purchase cost was covered by sponsors - what about running costs

3. on top of purchase costs and running costs would be maintenance costs - this would be a magnet for yobs throwing stones etc trying to damage it let alone normal wear and tear

4. if the screen is to show 'instant replays' as suggested then a minimum of half a dozen cameras need to be in operation at every game and integrated into a network that allows the camera operator to instantly rewind and playback crucial incidents - we cant get tannoy announcements done properly or sent out through decent speakers so what chance does this have.

5. Staffing - as mentioned above, about half a dozen cameras which would need experienced operators, someone in the control room who knows what they are doing (not to mention finding space for an actual room), as well as technical people available during the game to troubleshoot any glitches .... a pretty hefty weekly wage cost to show a few clips to a crowd of around 5k !!!

To build a stand on the road side, I would imagine, would easily be £5 million and probably nearer 10 to make it worthwhile. Office space, toilets, food outlets etc. The gas line would need to be shifted cos no matter the depth of founds it cannot be built over. Roadside banking would need to be cut into and shored up to give enough distance for a roadway between stand and banking to allow emergency vehicle access.

Camera's.......Setanta operate three + a pitchside roving camera as it is. That may be just for televised games though. Screens........to be honest I dont think there needed.