Bargains from the lower leagues?

Guest Big_Vinnie

Guest Big_Vinnie

How many players in the last few years have made the jump up a few divisions to the SPL  :024:

Thats where most SPL clubs have to look for bargains now. Killie got the boy Fraser Wright who's been solid as fcuk everytime I've seen him.

The arabs got Conway & Marago Gomis, two players who haven't looked out of place.

Inverness took Pattelinen (sp) & with a good pre season he'll be a cracker next season.

Lower league bargains for £10k - £20k is the way forward I'm affraid. :009:

I've a mate who plays in the conference league in england, he's on over £1000 p/w so most scottish clubs can't even compete with the lower leagues down south.

What I want to know is where is all the money going.  Perhaps our 3 top earners have left in the last 6 months and no-one has been brought in.  You can say Cowie but i wouldn't think he'll be on more than what he was at County and he's a 1st div player.

I mean 3 large wages have gone out,  plus we've got money from Celtic for Brown and the money we would have got for the Elton John malarky.  So why are we not out signing good solid SPL players rather than looking at the likes of Liam Buchanan.  I've said this before but Mark Burchill.  Similar type player to Dargo and season before last (before his injury problems)  had a good season.

I read the other day about Christie saying he's had loads of CV's and none have been jumping out at him.  I'm sorry but you've had 6 months to be out looking at players but all your doing is looking through faxed CV's.  What is going on???

It's not just the cost of bringing in these players you have to consider, it's the ongoing cost of keeping them here and until such time as the club increase income year on year from the bread and butter stuff then they have to look to make the bonuses that come from selling players on, cup runs etc etc last as long as possible.

On top of that you have existing players who (rightly) expect regular pay increases as well as other increasing costs.  IMO the club have grown sensibly in terms of balancing income and expenditure - hence the healthy bottom line - and with us working to such tight margins it wouldn't take much to send us spiraling into the red again.

As we've witnessed at other clubs, spending big on players doesn't always bring better league position.  ICT need to strike a balance between growing the bank book and growing the team and to date they seem to be doing a reasonable job.

I'm not saying we don't have room to improve, but I don't think simply throwing money at players is the answer.  We need to develop better links with other clubs, build the scouting network and continue to grow our own youth players and take them through the ranks.  These things all cost money as well but they set a better foundation on which to grow everything else.

Dont forget the players we've signed on professional contracts from the youth squads. They get paid too. But Sir C if you know of any of those solid players who, firstly, want to come to Inverness and, secondly, are prepared to take the wages we can afford then please get in touch with our Director.

There are always bargains to be had. Being a Carlisle Ud fan look at Karl Hawley for example. Always been in the lower leagues but now just joined Preston in Championship. Scored 47 goals in 118 games for Carlisle. He was also on loan at Raith Rovers a few seasons ago and scored 9 in 26 games.

Nothing wrong with going to a lower league for a player. You quite often get a young talent that is determined to show what he can do and outperforms any so called better name from a bigger league.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Arab4Ever

What I want to know is where is all the money going.   Perhaps our 3 top earners have left in the last 6 months and no-one has been brought in.  You can say Cowie but i wouldn't think he'll be on more than what he was at County and he's a 1st div player.

I mean 3 large wages have gone out,  plus we've got money from Celtic for Brown and the money we would have got for the Elton John malarky.  So why are we not out signing good solid SPL players rather than looking at the likes of Liam Buchanan.  I've said this before but Mark Burchill.  Similar type player to Dargo and season before last (before his injury problems)  had a good season.

I read the other day about Christie saying he's had loads of CV's and none have been jumping out at him.  I'm sorry but you've had 6 months to be out looking at players but all your doing is looking through faxed CV's.  What is going on???

I heard a rumour from a reasonably reliable person who knows a few of the ICT players. Apparently there is a clause in Rankins contract that claims he has to be the highest paid player at the club. When Cowie came in Rankin claimed his pay rise as Cowie was offered a higher wage. Dunno if its true but this guy has got a few ICT prophisies correct.

Guest Big_Vinnie

***I heard a rumour from a reasonably reliable person who knows a few of the ICT players. Apparently there is a clause in Rankins contract that claims he has to be the highest paid player at the club. When Cowie came in Rankin claimed his pay rise as Cowie was offered a higher wage. Dunno if its true but this guy has got a few ICT prophisies correct.***  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I know both players VERY well & confirm that the above quote from arab4ever bollocks! Cowies not on anywhere near the wage of Rankin :sillywave:

Edited: A few hundred pounds of a difference actually