Stirling Meerkats FC

Yngwie

Why would the SFA want to intervene to prevent it? At a time when just about every club needs to be thinking outside the box in terms of generating revenue then this is a simple and entertaining idea. As I understand it, these things only involve a change of trading name and so it's not like they would be giving up any company name which might have a long standing history they might look to preserve.

We could become the I.C.T. Fly Bees

I like it, its not as if its Compair the market.com FC.... It will go a long way to keeping the team afloat and at least they would stay in the SFL..

as for us I like the Idea of Inverness Caley Tescos FC. still ICT and drops the bad part of our name, while also getting us some cash to pay off the lads we owe...

Edited by Georgeios

I have to say I am with the SFA on this one. I would be prepared to go a very long way to keep trashy Americanisation out of football or any other sport for that matter and this quite simply is what was being proposed here.

If baseball or American Football or any other sport which really just the Yanks play seriously but still have World Series in it want to do this, then that's up to them, but it really sounds so naff.

It would be timeouts for commercial breaks next.

Also, if this proposal had been allowed to go ahead, presumably every game Stirling played would be dubbed "Compare the Meerkat".

We could just sell the rights to Caledonian Brewery and become Caledonian FC.

I like it, lets start a facebook group on that and see!! if RATM can get xmas number one why cant we changed our name to Caledonian or maybe Inverness Caledonian FC...

CaleyMads the Facebook exspert...

Americanisation, Charles? Where do you think they got idea from?

OK, so we didn't have too many teams named after animals and the like, but the idea of naming teams after, or in connection with, commercial entities is nothing new to the UK....Ferranti Thistle, Inverurie Loco Works, Thames Ironworks FC, SCWS Soap Works, Newton Heath LYR etc etc.

The Dons could become 'Aberdeen ass. managment FC'

Saying that dont forget Airdrieonians changed their ground name from the historic Broomfield to 'Shyberry Excelsior stadium' that must have been the first in scotland.

Edited by caley100

the Reebok, Macain, the list goes on, at the end of the day, we'll get shot down saying they paid for the stadium to be built so fair play, at the end of the day if the clubs name was changed then fair enough as this would be paying the wages and bill to some degrees.

I think the first examples of a club selling its name to a sponsor were in the Welsh Leagues.

Llantasffraid became Total Network Solutions, and when that company disappeared, they changed it to The New Saints to keep the TNS abbreviation. (A bit of trivia - they actually play their home games in Oswestry, England).

And there's Airbus UK and Corus Steel as well.

The problem is that in all likelihood, a team will have to change its name every few years when they change sponsors, or the sponsor goes through a change or takeover.

We did it years ago, Caley thistle became ICT. there was cash involved, was it from the common good fund.

Awaiting confirmation from CD on this so will treat it as rumour for now.

Flybe? why not go for a bigger sponsor we could be called the Inverness Virgins.

Its a difficult decision to call though as club names have a lot of history and shouldn't be tarnished where there seems to be a bit more leeway with stadium names.