FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Wingers On The Wrong Sides

Renegade

I noticed today that once again this season, Butcher (like Brewster used to do) has not played the wingers on their natural sides. Today we saw Hayes on the right and Ross on the left, despite the fact that, yes you guessed it, Hayes is left footed while Nick Ross is right footed - and Hayes is very left footed might add. It didn't take until about 70 or so minutes for the team to cotton on that his ain't a good idea. Surely it would be better to put the wingers on their natural sides, after all you wouldn't play Tokely at left back and Golly at right back now would you? Discuss.

Didnt work for Ross, that is prob the reason they changed it about as Ross was even less effective on the left of midfield. But Hayes plays well on the right as he not only crosses the ball but can cut across the defence, take men on and come inside to shoot. We have scored a few goals from Hayes cutting inside into the box and shooting. This would be the idea behind it but as I said on the other flank Ross wasn't able to do this.

Edited by Joe DiMaggio

Yeah, had it been a more natural left winger that been playing on the left, like Foran or Eagle for example, then putting Hayes there I could understand, but Ross is a right winger, very much a right winger.

Surely it would be better to put the wingers on their natural sides, after all you wouldn't play Tokely at left back and Golly at right back now would you? Discuss.

I'd rather see Tokely at LB than CB...

Regards Ross and Hayes if they hadn't been switched round we probably wouldn't have scored.

I would like to think that Butcher will have done his homework and placed people where they'd be more effective against the opposite number.

Today's game was a classic case of Butcher not having done his homework.

It took him 70 minutes to realise that Hayes and Ross might be more effective on opposite flanks.

Edited by Johnboy

I would like to think that Butcher will have done his homework and placed people where they'd be more effective against the opposite number.

Today's game was a classic case of Butcher not having done his homework.

It took him 70 minutes to realise that Hayes and Ross might be more effective on opposite flanks.

To be fair I think Hayes had a better first half on the right. It wasnt hayes that was not as efective it was that Ross was a little bit less inefective on the right. Would rather Odhiambo on the right and Sanchez filling his place

Butcher has forgotten that Rossco is a right back and not a centre half... proc has been pysh at right back the last two games.

Butcher made a mistake in playing Roos from the start, the laddie looked totally out of place and Sandshoes should have started just behind Rooney.

Butcher has forgotten that Rossco is a right back and not a centre half... proc has been pysh at right back the last two games.

Butcher made a mistake in playing Roos from the start, the laddie looked totally out of place and Sandshoes should have started just behind Rooney.

I disagree entirely. Proctor has been sound defensively at right back - his vision, and therefore ability to pick a pass from right back is completely infuriating though.

As I said on a different thread, the defences ability to defend, is far more important than being able to pick a "Hollywood pass". Changing the defensive lineup that conceded a goal though a penalty on Tuesday and kept a clean sheet yesterday would be criminal IMO.

It's pretty clear that the only change that needs to occur is in putting someone that is more productive in place of Nick Ross.

its one of the things they teach at the uefa pro licence courses. Play players out of position to challenge them, and also to get a different threat from the wingers. Full backs so used to them going outside them its more difficult for the defender to go the way he is not used too. hmm top teams try this too, so why not. However some players are ging to be better at it than others!!!

Rossco gives us far more than Proc at RB, yesterday was a game when Rossco's runs up the wing could have given us more width and options in attack.

We really didnt need 4 defenders yesterday, Three could have coped, if we had started with Sanchez in the hole behind Rooney and rossco pushing up the right we would have created more chances.

Our problems yesterday weren't in the back line or who was on the wings and which side. The problem was the fact we struggled to get an extra man in behind their defenders to support and/or feed Rooney and this is in large part down to the way Morton set up against us yesterday and they have to be given some credit for having done their homework and using a setup that nullified our greatest threat.

It's all fair and well saying "I wouldn't play him there" or whatever, but looking at the bench and the rest of the squad then it's not so easy to say who you would have put in their place.

Every man out there did the job that needed to be done, and that was to get another 3 points on the board. It wasn't pretty...not by a long shot, but if we can put out what some might consider a "weaker" team against opposition who were more determined to stop us scoring than they were in scoring themselves and still get the ball in the back of the net and secure a win, then it's job done.

We were up against a side that sat back a lot and reminded me of Clyde when we last played them in the first division many years ago they were big strong blokes.

As for the wingers they both prefer to play on the right, so someone was going to play on their weaker side, at least we still got the 3 points, which is more important than losing with flair.

We were up against a side that sat back a lot and reminded me of Clyde when we last played them in the first division many years ago they were big strong blokes.

As for the wingers they both prefer to play on the right, so someone was going to play on their weaker side, at least we still got the 3 points, which is more important than losing with flair.

If that was the case then you'd put the left footed guy on the left, and played the right footed, inexperienced rookie in a more comfortable position.

Reasons why:

When you are playing with 1 forward it makes sense to have at least one winger that can cut onto their favoured foot and join the attack. For example... Man U play with Rooney up top and either Park or Nani cutting in from the left. Barca play with one up top and have Messi cutting in from the right. Milan have Ronaldinho, Bayern have Robben (did anyone see his goal last week B) ) & Ribery, Arsenal have Arshavin all of them play on the opposite of what you would call their favoured side. I have used Champions league teams because they are the most recognisable but the majority of teams use the same tactic now-a-days... I play right wing with my amateur team and I'm naturally left footed!!

It's very difficult for a full back to defend against a player that can cut inside, when defending they can pull into midfield and strengthen the centre of the park, they offer more of a goal threat cutting in and more to the point with Rooney playing in the centre on his own against 2 centre halves he is unlikely to win a header if the winger was making runs to the bye line and crossing the ball

Reasons why:

When you are playing with 1 forward it makes sense to have at least one winger that can cut onto their favoured foot and join the attack. For example... Man U play with Rooney up top and either Park or Nani cutting in from the left. Barca play with one up top and have Messi cutting in from the right. Milan have Ronaldinho, Bayern have Robben (did anyone see his goal last week :ohmy: ) & Ribery, Arsenal have Arshavin all of them play on the opposite of what you would call their favoured side. I have used Champions league teams because they are the most recognisable but the majority of teams use the same tactic now-a-days... I play right wing with my amateur team and I'm naturally left footed!!

It's very difficult for a full back to defend against a player that can cut inside, when defending they can pull into midfield and strengthen the centre of the park, they offer more of a goal threat cutting in and more to the point with Rooney playing in the centre on his own against 2 centre halves he is unlikely to win a header if the winger was making runs to the bye line and crossing the ball

CORRECT