FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Man Utd v Rangers

starchief

Bit of a reserve line up from Man Utd.

Man Utd: Kuszczak, Brown, Ferdinand, Smalling, Fabio Da Silva, Valencia, Fletcher, Gibson, Park, Rooney, Hernandez. Subs: Van der Sar, Owen, Anderson, Giggs, O'Shea, Jonathan Evans, Macheda.

A win is too much to hope for* but it's possible Rangers could hold them to a 0-0. Still, I fancy it'll be a small win to Manchester.

Glad to see Whittaker's back. I'm a big fan of him when he's in midfield. I think he should make a long-term decision to switch there from full-back. No Fleck in the Rangers line-up/subs though. Don't know if he's injured or just a flash in the pan. Tough night for Kenny Miller, although I know next to nothing of Smalling. Weiss is probably the secret weapon in reserve. If they keep it tight, then, with the clock running down, I could see him causing a bit of trouble coming on for the perennially disappointing Naismith (I thought he was going to be a much better player than he is).

Rangers: McGregor, Broadfoot, Weir, Bougherra, Papac, Whittaker, Davis, McCulloch, Edu, Naismith, Miller. Subs: Alexander, Lafferty, Foster, Beattie, Weiss, Little, Hutton.

*and yes, I do hope the Scottish team beats the English team, be that Rangers, Celtic, Ross County or Formantine Thistle. Mind you, won't stop me smiling if they get cuffed.

• Agree 1

I would echo just about everything you've said there.... Clearly the Rangers plan is defend deeply, and look for the opportunity to hit them on the break. Miller can be useful in these situations.

I'm surprised to see so many unfamiliar names in that Man U line-up. There might just be a wee shock on the cards with this one, although I wouldn't bet on it.

Well, I love matches like these. Highly tactical, very cagey. Just my thing. Excellent result for Rangers. Bit disappointed Weiss didn't get on. I'd have thought he might have been decent for the last 15 minutes to pin back Utd with a few runs. A decent result for Scotland in European football. Who'd a' thunk it?

First half they done well to keep Man Utd at bay and in the second half you could tell Man Utd stepped it up a bit looking for that goal. There were spells during the game when i thought Rangers could have snuck a wee goal as Man Utd were pushing furthur up but overall an excellent result for them and i even think they managed more shots on target.

Rangers were excellent. They even had a couple of half chances on the break if Kenny "Slow it down lads" Miller and Kyle "Am I really a footballer?" Laugherty hadn't completely ballsed up the breaks. I can't think of a really good chance for Man Utd who were awful. Rangers fully deserved their point. Valencias injury didn't look good and it seems he will be out for the season with a broken and dislocated ankle.

The Guardian has a piece on some Inverness Rangers fans making the trip down to the JJB then onto Old Trafford as part of the GMP set up for the game:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/14/rangers-fan-wigan-manchester

No Fleck in the Rangers line-up/subs though. Don't know if he's injured or just a flash in the pan.

A friend said that he had critisised Smith last season (about tactics or Smith being too old or something like that) and McCoist went mental with him for it and it was McCoist who threw him back in the reserves.

Anyway decent result, they'll still be out by Christmas tho.