FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Which of the current squad .....?

SMEE

Who can tell me.....of the current squad, who all are likely to be here next season. I know we have some loan players and players on one year contracts etc etc, but i couldnt even begin to tell you who is on what deal.

Im curious to know how much work has to be done in the summer.

Players will go back to their own clubs. Some may even choose to move elsewhere but to be honest I'd rather keep most of what we have and change the mindset. The mindset that makes them capitulate when on top. The mindset that makes them individuals and not a team. The mindset that stops them playing to their full potential.

There is a problem within the squad and its not ability. More a psychological thing. Something or someone stops them all doing what they do best.

Who can tell me.....of the current squad, who all are likely to be here next season. I know we have some loan players and players on one year contracts etc etc, but i couldnt even begin to tell you who is on what deal.

Im curious to know how much work has to be done in the summer.

Hogg, A Shinnie, Tudor Jones, Tade, Doran. Foran, Ross, G Shinnie, Sutherland, Morrison, Who else is defo here next season? So far I'm happy with every player mentioned. I think Thomas Piermayr and Meekings are here too but I'm undecided on those, good options for the squad but not starting 11 next year please.

Edited by ICTPAISLEY

This is how things currently sit, in my opinion - this is what I think Butcher will do, mind, not what I would do!

UNDER CONTRACT FOR NEXT SEASON

Richie Foran

Andy Shinnie

Nick Ross

Gavin Morrison

Shane Sutherland

Graeme Shinnie

Aaron Doran

Josh Meekings

LIKELY TO STAY

Ryan Esson - surely will get a new deal

Owain Tudur Jones - has expressed a willingness to stay

Chris Hogg - it was stated in January that he will be offered a new contract

Greg Tansey - Butcher seems to think the sun shines out of his rear end

Gregory Tade - has probably done enough to warrant another year

Billy McKay - appears to be first choice centre forward at the moment

Kenny Gillet - solid, hard working and can play at left back or centre back

UNLIKELY TO STAY

Ross Tokely - think he will go the way of Munro and Duncan, however well he does

Jonny Hayes - surely will get a better offer from a better club than us

Sam Winnall - Butcher doesn't seem to rate him so loan unlikely to be extended

Steve Williams - hasn't established himself in the team while on loan

FUTURE UNCLEAR

Thomas Piermayr - in and out of the team

Jonny Tuffey - likely to be offered new deal, but may want first team football elsewhere

David Proctor - a long servant to the club, but certainly not a first choice any more

Roman Golobart - there may well be a chance to extend his loan, though I doubt we could sign him permanently

Claude Gnakpa - Butcher talked highly of him but has so far flattered to deceive

hislop sums it up for me though i think Tokely may stay. Our first port of call would surely have to be getting Golobart back. I'm a big fan of him, he seems to have matured a lot here but Wigan have many defenders already so he may see a move here as a chance to further develop.

Edited by ajsict92

Players who I think have shown they can be decent from the current squad and I wouldn't be disappointed if they were in our squad for next season:

Ryan Esson - Good, solid keeper.

Jonny Tuffey - Good option as a number two but he'll probably leave for first team football.

Thomas Piermayr - Decent enough when I've seen him.

Josh Meekings - Has made mistakes but is young and has also had some solid displays. One for the future.

Graeme Shinnie - A decent full back, not too spectacular but has good feet and is gaining valuable experience.

Roman Golobart - Cool under pressure, perhaps too much sometimes.

Kenny Gillet - When he's on his game, solid defender.

Chris Hogg - Experienced and offers leadership.

Andy Shinnie - Talented player, great striker of the ball and drifts between the lines, creating interesting opportunities and a different sort of positioning.

Greg Tansey - Frustratingly inconsistent, at times he gives the ball away too much but he showed in teh first hour on Saturday that he can dominate the midfield.

Richie Foran - Gets a lot of undeserved stick from the tinfoil hat brigade but he is strong, good in the air and a leader.

Jonny Hayes - Our best player, will probably leave though.

Nick Ross - A decent player, handy on the ball but not consistent enough. Needs to improve physically.

Gregory Tade - Hard working but maddening.

Billy McKay - Hard working without the madness.

I think Tuffey, Golobart and Hayes will all leave. Tudor Jones hasn't played enough games to be judged, he could be a good player for us. I've also left out Doran as he's barely played this season.

The two big issues for us this season have been stupid defensive mistakes and a lack of quality going forward. The only two creative attacking players of any quality we have are Jonny Hayes and Andy Shinnie and they have been injury prone this season. Also, if you rely on these guys so much if they go on a poor run then we are goosed. We don't have strikers who can conjure goals out of nothing, we need to create more chances for them. At the back, we need to improve concentration and organisation.

It's difficult to recruit quality attacking players when you are on a budget. We'll have to hope that Butcher's recruitment this summer unearths some Johnny Hayes' rather than Danny Stratfords. Last season Butcher plucked Gregory Tade out of the First Division and, overhead kick attempts aside, he's been better than anyone thought. There doesn't really look to be any obvious targets in the lower leagues, with most of the leading scorers more established players.

• Agree 2

Good post Chris. The extension of the loan of Golobart is important. Tokely will not last another season and Hogg may never be the same again. We need to try and unearth a more experienced central defender and I would love to see us invest in a more traditional centre forward. In respect of loanees we need a holding midfielder in the same mould as Davis - who wasnt given a decent enuff run with us and now is playing regularly in the EPL.

I think that TB has to decide (permanently) on where to consistently play Gillet, the Shinnies, Nick Ross and Tade. We have to create "systems" where players slot in to comfortably. I would hope that Doran may be akin to a new signing next season.

Personally I would have loved to see Shane Sutherland get a run at centre forward and that is what I would be experimenting with in the post split games. I agree that he is disappointing but the way that he has been played has simply highlighted his deficits and probably eroded his confidence. I would put him up front and tell him he has to the end of the season to prove himself.

Not sure what his contract details are at Wigan but he could well be looking for a club if they go down this season.

My thoughts exactly. A similar deal to that of Doran's last season would be an excellent piece of buisness.