FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Merger Talk

TheCaleyjags123

Charles is quite correct re the stadium location. None of the sites proposed were particularly exciting at the time but it was felt that our current location was the best due to the reasons already described. This was definitely the Caley view anyway as I wasn't privy to the Thistle discussions. In fact Norman Millar once said that if the Golden Mile option was railroaded through by INE it would possibly have been a deal breaker.

OCG... as I also recollect it that was Norman's viewpoint and that of a number not only of the Caley hierarchy but also of the Jags people - although by the spring of 94 the merger had been completed and the ICT Board, which included reps of both former clubs, was running things.

True Charles but the location was being discussed from very early on as I remember. As its so long ago tho memories do tend to get muddled.

I don't think anybody is denying that eventually the club wouldv'e had to build a new ground.

We could've picked a less ridiculous location and stadium design however, even if it meant staying in Telford Street another couple of seasons, we should've waited.

Don't think staying was ever an option due to the application for league membership stating that a stadium would be built.

To the other poster above remember that neither Telford St or Kingsmills was sold for large sums of money by today's standards. Ideally Caley on their own and the the merged club would have preferred the bught for the stadium but this was never going to happen due to the Council and other interested parties eg shinty, rugby etc being so dead against it!

I don't think anybody is denying that eventually the club wouldv'e had to build a new ground.

We could've picked a less ridiculous location and stadium design however, even if it meant staying in Telford Street another couple of seasons, we should've waited.

Don't think staying was ever an option due to the application for league membership stating that a stadium would be built.

To the other poster above remember that neither Telford St or Kingsmills was sold for large sums of money by today's standards. Ideally Caley on their own and the the merged club would have preferred the bught for the stadium but this was never going to happen due to the Council and other interested parties eg shinty, rugby etc being so dead against it!

That's correct OCG. They were even very lucky to get a 15 month extension of the original August 1995 stadium deadline. And even if there had been no obections in principle to the Bught, getting any size of crowd in and out across the Ness and Friars Bridges would have been impossible.

The reality of Bruce Hare's report (and I still have a copy in the box with the rest of my papers relating to Against all Odds) is that Inverness had/ still has very few places for a football club to go. If you want to check it out in detail, go to the "Finding A Home" chapter of AAO on this website.

Indeed if Inverness had been better endowed with potential football ground sites, Caley would have snapped one of them up in the late 80s/early 90s and it is my belief that had that happened the merger would not have happened, Caley would have gone it alone, would PROBABLY have got in, and Inverness would have a division 1/2 yoyo club today.

Still on the subject of track and field I'm having difficulty deciding who was the best long distance runner of all time, I'm torn between the Moroccan Said Aouita and the Eithiopian Haile Gebrselassie.

Now I have not got a clue on the subject but I'll go for Aouita mainly because I've just decided I'm an expert on World Athletics.

Anyway back on topic going back to the merger meetings I've done a bit more digging today and I've unearthed a few more questions that really need answered before we can move on.

1. At the very first vote in the Muirton Motel why was the result given as 55-50 when there was just under 100 that allegedly voted?

(what beggars belief was the way the vote was carried out and the count was done by a show of hands!!!!!)

2. Why did the fans allegedly get duped into voting for a merger when they weren't told at the time that should there have been a NO vote to merge there would have been a second vote for a sole Caledonian FC or Inverness Thistle vote, so fans were misled into a take it or leave it scenario?

3. Why were proxy votes from fans that lived outside of Inverness and not able to attend in person not allowed?

4. Why were both sets of season ticket holders from both clubs allegedly told that the SFA preferred a merged Inverness application when this was not the case at all and something the SFA denied in the aftermath?

Dougal

Edited by dougal
  • Agree 1

I've unearthed a few more questions that really need answered before we can move on.

Most of us moved on a loooooong time ago.

Aye but as I drove along Telford Street about 6:51 this evening and looked into the phone box a could see blue Santa hats inside... and one of the wearers seemed to have a laptop.

Two minutes after the announcement that Terry is staying and Dougal posts another boring anti-merger tirade! Why am I not surprised?

Remind me of your whereabouts pre-merger?

Remind me when you started taking an interest in Inverness football?

Remind me of your birthplace?

Another ICT incomer lays down the law.

Why am I not surprised?

Dougal

• Agree 1

Wish this crap would self destruct, have resisted posting until now but it's doing my head in...................can't believe it's dragged on for thirteen pages.............been flogged to death so many times in the past and time for the dustbin.

So many good things going on at  ICT  and to discuss on this the  ICT  forum.

• Agree 1

Two minutes after the announcement that Terry is staying and Dougal posts another boring anti-merger tirade! Why am I not surprised?

Why am I not surprised?

Dougal

This statement just sums up my anger................this moron should be shown the door.

• Agree 1

Remind me of your whereabouts pre-merger - 'Nottingham', wasn't it?

Have you finally rumbled yourself?

Remind me why it matters ?

• Agree 1

Remind me why it matters ?

because Dougal and all his orc references make him think he is 'simply the best', certainly far 'better than all the rest'

Only the 10th of January but surely already a candidate for the most crass and cringeworthy post of 2013.

Merger#1 Crown and Thistle - 1889

Merger#2 Thistle and Union - 1895

Merger#3 Caledonian and Thistle - 1994

I wonder if there was the same stories being spun over a pint with the first two?

Anyway I make that:

Thistle 3 Caledonian 1 - nothing changes ;-)

Right so let me get this straight.

1889 - Crown + Thistle = Thistle = Takeover.

1895 - Union + Thistle = Thistle = Takeover.

1994 - Caley + Thistle = Caley Thistle = Merger where Jags fans were complaining about a takeover :tongueincheek: